Hi, 

I recently went back to Lego after a while and have decided to try replicating the new Volvo L350H wheel loader.

800x413.jpg

This MOC is meant to fit the scale of my improved Mack Anthem (dimensions corrected):

800x600.jpg

So, it is roughly 1:22 scale. The finished product will be red (yeah, another red loader) and will be equipped as the one above.All of the functions will be manual, except the arm movement operated thanks to Power Functions.

I have obviously begun by the front end of the loader. This was quite hard for me to put all the functions in, as the quasi-vertical cylinders, while keeping proportions correct. The front is quite robust, and functions run smoothly. I think I manage to get a correct Z linkage (see photos).

I am now building the rear part of the loader. It will have a 42078 inspired engine as I think the Lego cylinders are way too big for this scale. In addition, there will be a pendular axle and easy battery replacement. Mechanical functions will be operated by an L motor via gearboxes.

In the following photos, you can see how I progressed. At this stage, there is mainly beaming to delimit the spaces (cabin, trunk, etc). At first, I wanted to put two two-way gearboxes, but it resulted that I have not enough room because I am limited to 7 studs wide in most parts of the loader (this is partially due to the 94.8 wheels and scale). I ended up with a simple gearbox... Be aware, the gears are not held properly, but I just wanted to show the routing. This one is meant to reduce the number of gears and thus maximize lifting capacity.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

https://bricksafe.com/pages/grego18f/mack-granite/volvo-l350h

If I submit this loader at its early development stages, this is to obtain your feedback. I really think there is room for improvement (and maybe two-way gearboxes!). So, any suggestion is welcome.

At the same time, I am reworking the lower central articulation. In the previous iteration, I realized there would be 2 studs ground clearance. That is why I ended with the actual design (allowing 3 studs ground clearance). I am not yet satisfied with the connection because it limits the lateral movement of the U-joints…

800x600.jpg

That’s all for now ?

Edited by grego18f

I like what I see, it is like my first wheels loaders, the only think I can say now is that the lateral movement of the U-joints is enough believe me but I wuold change the steering system, I think you would need small Linear Actuators or something alike to the 8265 system.

Edited by jorgeopesi

Thank you for the suggestions. The model is meant to be manual (except the arm movement) so mini LA for steering is not an option sorry.

5 hours ago, grego18f said:

Thank you for the suggestions. The model is meant to be manual (except the arm movement) so mini LA for steering is not an option sorry.

Then you can use 2 small gear racks (7 studs long)

2 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Then you can use 2 small gear racks (7 studs long)

Or a turntable(s). It seems that I have achieved things you are looking for with my 42054 Wheel Loader:

36.png

Edited by M_longer