MatthewRC

Potential LEGO Scooby-Doo comeback in 2020?

3 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

There’s an image on Instagram claiming there’ll be SCOOB! sets. Personally I don’t believe it until we see a leaked minifigure torso or an official press release.

Yeah it was taken down by the guy who posted it. It was the same person that posted the fake ghostbusters set info and a lot of other false info in the past. It was made for attention there is no truth behind it 

2 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Yeah it was taken down by the guy who posted it. It was the same person that posted the fake ghostbusters set info and a lot of other false info in the past. It was made for attention there is no truth behind it 

When was the fake Ghostbusters set information posted? Was it about the upcoming sequel?

22 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

When was the fake Ghostbusters set information posted? Was it about the upcoming sequel?

It was a was the day brickfanatics broke the news about that we would be getting sets based off the upcoming movie. The list was incredibly fake included a description of a d2c and used set numbers that were already taken by Lego sets. So yes incredibly fake 

44 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

It was a was the day brickfanatics broke the news about that we would be getting sets based off the upcoming movie. The list was incredibly fake included a description of a d2c and used set numbers that were already taken by Lego sets. So yes incredibly fake 

Oh, now I remember! But are we still getting Ghostbusters sets next year?

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

For those interested... :wink:

I can see Dick Dastardly's ship being in a normal-scale set, as well as a updated Mystery Machine. (with printed pieces, please! :grin:)

Really excited for this! :wub_drool:

18 hours ago, LuigiBobLegoPants said:

I can see Dick Dastardly's ship being in a normal-scale set, as well as a updated Mystery Machine. (with printed pieces, please! :grin:)

I am picking up something of a cartoonishly "Dieselpunked" Buck Rogers vibe from the look of Dastardly's ship that I sorta dig... :thumbup: :shrug_oh_well:

alejandro-burdisio-battle-artstation.jpg?1549028908

16 hours ago, strangely said:

I hope they do a set for this movie, if only to get a new Mystery Machine. Though it's looking kind of unlikely.

Well, it all depends on whether or not LEGO still has the Scooby-Doo license. Here’s hoping they still have the license.

Sadly, I think a theme based on SCOOB! is rather unlikely at this point. Look at all the licensed themes next year:

Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Harry Potter, Jurassic World, Minecraft, Trolls, Minions and Ghostbusters (plus maybe Overwatch). To me, there doesn‘t seem to be much wiggle room for an additional theme... :shrug_confused:

9 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Sadly, I think a theme based on SCOOB! is rather unlikely at this point. Look at all the licensed themes next year:

Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Harry Potter, Jurassic World, Minecraft, Trolls, Minions and Ghostbusters (plus maybe Overwatch). To me, there doesn‘t seem to be much wiggle room for an additional theme... :shrug_confused:

Well, there's always 2021! After all, LEGO does love to keep their future themes a surprise. :wink:

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

"Potential LEGO Scooby-Doo comeback in 2020?"

Impossible 

Image result for playmobil scooby doo"Image result for playmobil scooby doo"

Look, Playmobil and LEGO have different formats. Since LEGO is making Ghostbusters: Afterlife sets later this year, Playmobil’s Ghostbusters line never affected the LEGO Ghostbusters license. Hopefully the same thing applies to Scooby-Doo, and maybe Back to the Future too!

On 1/20/2020 at 1:35 PM, MatthewRC said:

Look, Playmobil and LEGO have different formats. Since LEGO is making Ghostbusters: Afterlife sets later this year, Playmobil’s Ghostbusters line never affected the LEGO Ghostbusters license. Hopefully the same thing applies to Scooby-Doo, and maybe Back to the Future too!

You are 100% right with that. I think there is a lot of potential for cool playsets, top. The reason I doubt we will see a Scooby line in the near future is a different one. 

Lego wants to maximize their profits. That means it isn't about satisfying collectors. They take a licence, bring a few sets including some popular characters and go on to the next one. We already had a Scooby wave not long ago. Lots of children own the whole gang already. Some because they got them on their own, some because of older brothers and sisters. Most adult collectors own them probably, too. The Ghostbusters on the other hand had one ideas set long ago, three dimensions sets (not counting the one for the Reboot), the HQ no child was getting because of the prize and a Ecto 1&2 for the terrible reboot. There is a much higher chance to reach buyers that don't own an older version. Especially the UCS Ecto1 is something completely new.

1 hour ago, Gorilla94 said:

You are 100% right with that. I think there is a lot of potential for cool playsets, top. The reason I doubt we will see a Scooby line in the near future is a different one. 

Lego wants to maximize their profits. That means it isn't about satisfying collectors. They take a licence, bring a few sets including some popular characters and go on to the next one. We already had a Scooby wave not long ago. Lots of children own the whole gang already. Some because they got them on their own, some because of older brothers and sisters. Most adult collectors own them probably, too. The Ghostbusters on the other hand had one ideas set long ago, three dimensions sets (not counting the one for the Reboot), the HQ no child was getting because of the prize and a Ecto 1&2 for the terrible reboot. There is a much higher chance to reach buyers that don't own an older version. Especially the UCS Ecto1 is something completely new.

Now I understand that LEGO is trying to make a profit rather than satisfy fans and collectors. If LEGO ever releases another Scooby-Doo set, it would pretty much have to be BrickHeadz. I really would have loved to see more Hanna-Barbera IPs after LEGO Ideas The Flintstones, but that LEGO Ideas set might have sold poorly.

Seeing that Playmobil image reminded me of how disappointed I was with the Scooby-Doo sets. No real classic ghosts, and just the bare minimum effort put into the wave. That feeling when Playmobil has the Space Kook and Captain Cutler, and LEGO gave us Mr. Brown...:hmpf_bad:

With no real leaks or confirmation of Scoob sets, I doubt Lego will ever return to the theme. Which sucks, honestly. I would love them to do villains like the Phantom Shadows and the Creeper, and also sets based off the Direct-to-DVD films, but the timing has long passed.

But, Jurassic World had a two-year-long hiatus, so we never know.

Edited by ARC2149Nova

17 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

Now I understand that LEGO is trying to make a profit rather than satisfy fans and collectors. If LEGO ever releases another Scooby-Doo set, it would pretty much have to be BrickHeadz. I really would have loved to see more Hanna-Barbera IPs after LEGO Ideas The Flintstones, but that LEGO Ideas set might have sold poorly.

Yeah BrickHeadz is probably the chance to see Lego Scooby Doo again, but quite honestly I just think the deal is over. This movie was probably the last chance of seeing any other Scooby related Lego, but we would've known it by now if that was the case. I just hope we'll get more Hanna Barbera stuff with Lego ideas. But even those are disappointing, not even giving us the entire Flintstone cast.

However I'll have to disagree that Lego makes a profit rather than satisfy fans and collectors. Sure they jump from license to license without giving us every possible thing, but by doing that they're at least able to touch on licenses that we otherwise would never get. And thus satisfying collectors and fans who like multiple ip's rather than just one. Otherwise we would've never gotten a theme like Scooby Doo in the first place. Of course we are not completely satisfied, but something is better than none. And I know there would be people saying things like: "Well I prefer only the Scooby Doo theme but done well rather than multiple one-off themes like Scooby Doo, Powerpuff Girls, Doctor Who, Angry Birds, Incredibles etc. But another would say they rather have one for Powerpuff Girls instead. In the end they satisfy more people by giving every fandom a small piece rather than giving one fandom everything. And sure it's all about profit too, they're a company after all, but it must go hand in hand with satisfying people, because a satisfied customer is a paying one. I for one rather miss out on every single untouched Scooby Doo villain or all remaining Simpsons characters, rather than having to miss out on all the other licensed themes we could still get.

7 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Yeah BrickHeadz is probably the chance to see Lego Scooby Doo again, but quite honestly I just think the deal is over. This movie was probably the last chance of seeing any other Scooby related Lego, but we would've known it by now if that was the case. I just hope we'll get more Hanna Barbera stuff with Lego ideas. But even those are disappointing, not even giving us the entire Flintstone cast.

However I'll have to disagree that Lego makes a profit rather than satisfy fans and collectors. Sure they jump from license to license without giving us every possible thing, but by doing that they're at least able to touch on licenses that we otherwise would never get. And thus satisfying collectors and fans who like multiple ip's rather than just one. Otherwise we would've never gotten a theme like Scooby Doo in the first place. Of course we are not completely satisfied, but something is better than none. And I know there would be people saying things like: "Well I prefer only the Scooby Doo theme but done well rather than multiple one-off themes like Scooby Doo, Powerpuff Girls, Doctor Who, Angry Birds, Incredibles etc. But another would say they rather have one for Powerpuff Girls instead. In the end they satisfy more people by giving every fandom a small piece rather than giving one fandom everything. And sure it's all about profit too, they're a company after all, but it must go hand in hand with satisfying people, because a satisfied customer is a paying one. I for one rather miss out on every single untouched Scooby Doo villain or all remaining Simpsons characters, rather than having to miss out on all the other licensed themes we could still get.

Well said! I agree with the idea of LEGO making a profit and satisfying their fans and collectors at the same time, which is very difficult for a company to do. However, I'd really like to see LEGO acknowledge their past licensed themes introduced via LEGO Ideas such as Doctor Who, Adventure Time, Voltron, etc. by making new sets for those themes every once in a while.

We might as well wait and see what LEGO has in store for us in 2021, but I'll try not to get my hopes up for LEGO Scooby-Doo to make a comeback next year. :sadnew:

On 2/11/2020 at 2:34 AM, Huigberts Builds said:

I'll have to disagree that Lego makes a profit rather than satisfy fans and collectors. Sure they jump from license to license without giving us every possible thing, but by doing that they're at least able to touch on licenses that we otherwise would never get. And thus satisfying collectors and fans who like multiple ip's rather than just one. Otherwise we would've never gotten a theme like Scooby Doo in the first place. Of course we are not completely satisfied, but something is better than none. And I know there would be people saying things like: "Well I prefer only the Scooby Doo theme but done well rather than multiple one-off themes like Scooby Doo, Powerpuff Girls, Doctor Who, Angry Birds, Incredibles etc. But another would say they rather have one for Powerpuff Girls instead. In the end they satisfy more people by giving every fandom a small piece rather than giving one fandom everything. And sure it's all about profit too, they're a company after all, but it must go hand in hand with satisfying people, because a satisfied customer is a paying one. I for one rather miss out on every single untouched Scooby Doo villain or all remaining Simpsons characters, rather than having to miss out on all the other licensed themes we could still get.

I have to disagree with you on a couple points.

1. Lego absolutely values profit over fan satisfaction. After all, just look at a theme like City or Star Wars, and realize how many Police sets, Fire sets, X-Wings, Millennium Falcons, and TIE Fighters those themes receive. Why? Because they sell. EASY. It's harder to sell, say a Separatist Shuttle over your 15th X-Wing variant. It's harder to sell a civilian jetliner over another police station. With literally all of the themes you listed, Lego saw easy cash grabs. Put out the bare minimum, and count the money. I'm not against that, however, it is business after all. But unlike Scooby-Doo, who has literally decades of material Lego could've covered, Powerpuff Girls gave us the girls and Mojo Jojo. Good enough. Flintstones was an Ideas set, if given a whole theme (2-3 sets), we would've at least gotten Pebbles and Bam-Bam. Doctor Who isn't massively popular outside of the UK. Yes, it has its fans, but unlike Harry Potter, Doctor Who is a niche. Even more of a niche was Angry Birds. Great idea, but about 5 or so years too late. Incredibles doesn't mean much here as 1) we got the whole family plus Frozone and Edna Mode, and 2) it's a movie. With an inherently small cast which got covered thoroughly. We even got Syndrome. Scooby-Doo ascends all of these in both the iconic aspect and the lore/history aspect.

Lego is a business. Even further than that it's a corporation. Money keeps them afloat. They will always prioritize the dollar over niche pockets. If they think a niche pocket is large enough to satisfy corporate needs, then they'll invest in it, which is why we have so many licenses in the first place.

2. I don't think Scooby-Doo needed a comeback to be excellent. If we had a stellar one & done wave, then I'd be happy. No one is saying "Make Every Villain" either. But Scooby-Doo is more than just the kids. It's the monsters too. I'm glad we got the Headless Horseman, but a Mummy, Vampire, Zombie, Ghost, Knight, and (non-canon) Swamp Monster? Over something cool and/or kooky like an undead Spaceman, a phantom diver, energy ghosts and tar monsters? No. We didn't need "Scooby" specific rehashes of previous Lego monsters. They needed to give us something unique. A one & done theme, yes, but one to remember.

3. I never used to understand the "We want more Lego IPs over more licenses" argument. Until today. Wishing for more pointless additions to Brickset's theme list that have big movie tie-ins, or ancient cartoon affiliations, only fuels the point I made at the top: Lego sees one & done themes as cash grabs. Plain and simple. We live in a world where you go to Lego.com, and over half the theme list is made up of various licenses. I have nothing against licensed themes, I love Star Wars, but there was a time when Lego made money by satisfying fans with cool, original products. I first got into Lego in 2009. My first set was the stone chopper from Power Miners. I still remember the commercials for Atlantis, Space Police, Power Miners, etc. I went to Toys R Us, and I had enough money for the 2007 X-Wing, but instead, I bought some Atlantis sets. Licenses are just excuses for Lego to churn out poorly done themes and make a few dollars. Trolls and the Minions movie are getting Lego sets. Scoob! isn't. Angry Birds movie got sets, which sat until way after they should have been retired. The next new license should come from Lego Ideas. If someone makes a set based off, say the Jetsons, and it gets 10,000 votes, then we need a Hanna Barbera theme. I mean, we don't even need a new project, just look at the Flintstones set.

4. There used to be a time when Lego had licenses aplenty, but they still cared for each theme. Harry Potter's getting so much love with it's return that I wish I was more of a Potter fan than a Star Wars fan. Indiana Jones, 2008-2009 era Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean even. Lego took care of them well. Then the one & dones started with Prince of Persia. And now, we get random licenses almost every year. It's not even worth the investment. At most, you'll get a couple hardcore fans of a certain IP buying one set, and at least, a few hardcore Lego fans getting excited over two sets and then absolutely nothing else. I mean, why was PPG even a theme? They gave us two sets and dusted their palms. I'd rather have no sets of an IP I really like, than a 2-set theme with no future. At this point, I'd even give up Star Wars as a theme if it meant Lego giving the licenses under its control more love.

Tl;dr: 1. Lego's a business and values money, plain and simple. Let's not kid ourselves. 2. Scooby-Doo had the makings of a fine theme. But Lego executed it poorly. Compared to the mass of other Scooby-Doo toy manufacturers, Lego dropped the ball hard. 3. We do not need more pointless licenses only for them to 4. get half-done. Hardcore fans of the IP won't care much for the Lego, and Lego fans of the IP will get jipped. I appreciate optimism, and mean no hostility (sorry about the long post), but we need to start accepting that Lego only pretends to care, only so far as it makes them a bottom line. And they'll keep throwing ridiculous themes at the wall until something sells well enough to stick. Hopefully, it'll be something cool, with a long history to delve into. Crazy to think that Lego had Spongebob, flipping SPONGEBOB in their hands, and nearly wasted the license. Yes, we got the main cast, but Spongebob is so overwhelmingly popular that it could've been another core Lego theme.

3 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I have to disagree with you on a couple points.

[...]

I can see where you're coming from. But I still think profit and satisfaction can go hand in hand, at least for me. Personally I'm still very happy with how Lego does things when it comes to one off themes. They're often far better than long lasting themes under Disney. The one wave of Scooby Doo we got was very solid. Great quality figures. Tons of new molds for the main characters. A theme can only have so much new molds in a single wave. The villains obviously come second place, so this is probably all they could do with the mold budget they had left. Many of the other monsters would've required new molds to be accurate, which wasn't possible anymore. Besides we don't know the thought process behind these choices. Perhaps the designers chose these monsters because they're personal favourites of them, thinking they would be so for other fans as well. I still think Scooby Doo was one of the more solid licensed themes in recent years. Sure one more wave would've been nice. But did it really sold that well to be able to get multiple waves? Sure Scooby Doo is nice, but I think we're greatly overestimating how popular Scooby Doo is with children nowadays, it's really not as big of a deal as the evergreen themes. But I'll leave it at that, as I don't think we'll ever agree on this subject, which is fine, it greatly depends on what someone priorities in Lego.

Scooby-Doo sets sold out within hours of release, I'd say the theme did well. Btw, I do think the wave was good, just some minifig choices could've been different. Captain Cutler, btw is kind of easy to make purist (CMF series 8 Diver), and the Space Kook could use the large diving apparatus.

And I do think that LEGO can balance profit and fan satisfaction. Fan votes and Ideas (for the most part) demonstrate this well, but in the end, as fans we take the good with the less than ideal.

Thanks for a solid discussion btw.

Edited by ARC2149Nova

4 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Scooby-Doo sets sold out within hours of release, I'd say the theme did well. Btw, I do think the wave was good, just some minifig choices could've been different. Captain Cutler, btw is kind of easy to make purist (CMF series 8 Diver), and the Space Kook could use the large diving apparatus.

And I do think that LEGO can balance profit and fan satisfaction. Fan votes and Ideas (for the most part) demonstrate this well, but in the end, as fans we take the good with the less than ideal.

Thanks for a solid discussion btw.

Actually, I heard only the Mystery Machine and Mystery Mansion sets sold successfully, but the other three sets did not.

12 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

Actually, I heard only the Mystery Machine and Mystery Mansion sets sold successfully, but the other three sets did not.

Not quite. Mystery machine was the big seller, then mummy museum (cheap impulse buy) and then the lighthouse. The mansion was a shelf-warmer given it’s high price and poor execution, and ended up deeply discounted.

Edited by Lucarex
duplicate post

2 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Not quite. Mystery machine was the big seller, then mummy museum (cheap impulse buy) and then the lighthouse. The mansion was a shelf-warmer given it’s high price and poor execution, and ended up deeply discounted.

What about the Mystery Plane Adventures set?