MatthewRC

Potential LEGO Scooby-Doo comeback in 2020?

Even though Playmobil is making their own Scooby-Doo figurines, I still hope LEGO at least makes some sets solely based on the upcoming SCOOB! movie next year.

What if Lego, instead making sets for Scoob, makes a CMF with Hanna-Barbera characters? Technically Scoob is the first movie of the HB cinematic universe, so they can make the Scooby gang among other characters. And it's more a kid-friendly license for a CMF than other properties like Stranger Things.

6 hours ago, Beyond48 said:

What if Lego, instead making sets for Scoob, makes a CMF with Hanna-Barbera characters? Technically Scoob is the first movie of the HB cinematic universe, so they can make the Scooby gang among other characters. And it's more a kid-friendly license for a CMF than other properties like Stranger Things.

You know what? I've been thinking about that idea, too! The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Yogi Bear, and more can join in!

I really like Scooby, but i highly doubt anything with him will be released the next years to be honest.

It's a quite popular theme in english speaking countries but outside from there not that big. You can mumble the "na na na na na na na" in the subway and your chances are good someone behind you says "Batman". Same for the Potter- or Star Wars-Themes and even the soundtrack of the Peter Jackson Middle Earth films. That wont happen in most parts of Europe with the Scooby Doo-melody. That makes an global evergreen theme nearly impossible.

The big central thing about Scooby is the Mystery Maschine and the gang. Most people got the castle and Mystery Maschine Set and were happy without desire for more. This is also not the basis the other evergreen themes or most successfull smaller lines have with much needed expansions (just think about how many iconic sceenes from the first Potter film are missing alone) and army building potential. 

Lego had low expectations and made all the Scooby sets store exklusive for example in Germany, cause they did not believe in a big success. It didn't even have a chance to prove it's small but existing fanbase. I can't see where enough new trust into the licence should come from if it was that little until now.

A Hannah Barbara Cmf could maybe include Scooby and Shaggy. Including Velma would make people who bought the castle because of her stop doing something like that in the future. Many new villans  would be boring for those, who didn't get the old sets with the gang and Lego cares mostky about new customers. One group  will be dissapointed for sure. So i wouldn't expect much even if such a cmf happens. And there is also enough potential for Harry Potter 2, Disney 3, Looney Toons and many more with probably larger fanbase. 

The one big argument i see for a comeback of Scooby is, that boys and girls like them both. That helps the Potter Sets very much in sales (no generalisation by me. Every seller i know says that).

I'd also say Playmobils sets will have an big influence. Playmobil isn't a building toy, but with all the special parts and colours many kids don't use/see Lego as one, too. The competition is definitely there.

If there was a set my bet yould be on a Ucs Creator-VW-Bully sized Mystery Maschine.

Edited by Gorilla94

Just a quick update on the film. Scoob's design and the logo have been fully revealed!

Scoob-Poster.jpg

7 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I would ABSOLUTELY buy a UCS Mystery Machine that comes with the whole gang on day one. No question.

The problem is that an UCS Mystery Machine would not be minifig scale, it would be likely the same scale as the Creator Beetle/Camper Van. That would be a let down for me. A minifig scale Mystery Machine would be much smaller, almost the size of the one in the 2015 wave. Actually that one is pretty good and accurate, only lacking the capability to put the whole gang inside (there are no back seats). But that was easily modded.

I agree that there is no reason to issue more sets as regular people would be satisfied with the Mystery Machine. I would like more haunted locations and monsters, but that Lego is covering in a way with Hidden Side.

A year or two ago I remember some scuttlebutt around LEGO considering Scooby-Doo Juniors sets, but I don't know how seriously that was being pursued.

I'd be happy with the new movie just getting a single remake of the Mystery Machine. I missed the original set and it could be nice way to get the whole gang at once much like Ghostbusters did with the two Ecto-1 sets.

18 hours ago, tafkatb said:

A year or two ago I remember some scuttlebutt around LEGO considering Scooby-Doo Juniors sets, but I don't know how seriously that was being pursued.

Really? Those would’ve been great! I wonder why those plans were scrapped?

28 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

Really? Those would’ve been great! I wonder why those plans were scrapped?

Probably because of the sales of the first wave of Scooby doo sets 

7 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Probably because of the sales of the first wave of Scooby doo sets 

Oh, poor sales, huh?

Even though Playmobil is making their own Scooby-Doo toys, I hope LEGO eventually uses the Scooby-Doo license again one day. That is, if they still have it.

A Lego store employee told me the Scooby doo sets sold well. Dont about tother stores though.

On 7/10/2019 at 10:21 PM, Lego4366 said:

A Lego store employee told me the Scooby doo sets sold well. Dont about tother stores though.

Okay, that’s good to know. Sales of the theme must have underperformed.

The original wave wasn’t even released here (Brazil) because the local branch did not though it would sell within the young generation. I had to import them. All the people that I know that wanted Scooby-Doo LEGO sets were old, and their desire was based on nostalgia alone, not new movies.

let’s hope the new movie spark interest on kids, so a market can be build.

actually my son (11) watched the LEGO Scooby-Doo TV movies and enjoyed their premise of detective mystery and bogus monsters, he liked to try to discover who were the bad guys. So I told him about the old series, he wanted to watch them but I could not find a way, legally OR illegally, to get them. No streaming, DVD sets, downloads available here. So much for fostering the IP.

1 hour ago, Chiaroscuro said:

The original wave wasn’t even released here (Brazil) because the local branch did not though it would sell within the young generation. I had to import them. All the people that I know that wanted Scooby-Doo LEGO sets were old, and their desire was based on nostalgia alone, not new movies.

let’s hope the new movie spark interest on kids, so a market can be build.

actually my son (11) watched the LEGO Scooby-Doo TV movies and enjoyed their premise of detective mystery and bogus monsters, he liked to try to discover who were the bad guys. So I told him about the old series, he wanted to watch them but I could not find a way, legally OR illegally, to get them. No streaming, DVD sets, downloads available here. So much for fostering the IP.

If you want, Amazon.com is an option for Scooby-Doo DVDs. And if the movie "Scoob!" is successful, this may convince LEGO to do more Hanna-Barbera sets!

On 7/12/2019 at 10:40 AM, MatthewRC said:

If you want, Amazon.com is an option for Scooby-Doo DVDs. And if the movie "Scoob!" is successful, this may convince LEGO to do more Hanna-Barbera sets!

Our Amazon does not have them. Plus I cannot import them, I need discs released with Portuguese dubs for my son. It seems they release a dvd series here around a decade or so ago, but I cannot find a single disc to buy.

2 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

Our Amazon does not have them. Plus I cannot import them, I need discs released with Portuguese dubs for my son. It seems they release a dvd series here around a decade or so ago, but I cannot find a single disc to buy.

Oh, okay then. I don’t know where I can find Scooby-Doo with Portuguese subtitles.

On 6/6/2019 at 2:15 AM, LB2341 said:

Looks like Playmobil has the Scooby Doo licence now.
toybook.com/scooby-doo-and-those-meddling-kids-are-coming-to-playmobil/

For those interested, here are a few of Playmobil's offerings shown-off at NYCC...

IGN - Playmobil Reveals Back to the Future and Scooby-Doo Toys at NYCC

There’s an image on Instagram claiming there’ll be SCOOB! sets. Personally I don’t believe it until we see a leaked minifigure torso or an official press release.

50 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

There’s an image on Instagram claiming there’ll be SCOOB! sets. Personally I don’t believe it until we see a leaked minifigure torso or an official press release.

According to Falconfan1414, it’s all but fake. Trust him.

5 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

According to Falconfan1414, it’s all but fake. Trust him.

. . . I’m having trouble determining if you’re saying it’s real or not from your wording . . 

22 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

. . . I’m having trouble determining if you’re saying it’s real or not from your wording . . 

It's not a real leak at all. Trust Falconfan1414.