MatthewRC

Potential LEGO Scooby-Doo comeback in 2020?

Alright, so there will be a new animated Scooby-Doo theatrical film next year in 2020. Here are some updates on it.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/tracy-morgan-will-forte-linked-to-new-scooby-doo-film-1.4358910

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/zac-efron-amanda-seyfried-scooby-doo-fred-daphne-1203170485/

I feel that LEGO could bring back Scooby-Doo (potentially under a Hanna-Barbera evergreen theme) to coincide with this upcoming movie. What are your thoughts on this?

47 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

I feel that LEGO could bring back Scooby-Doo (potentially under a Hanna-Barbera evergreen theme) to coincide with this upcoming movie. What are your thoughts on this?

Knowing Lego, I feel they'd likely end up doing direct tie-in sets for the upcoming theatrical movie this time around in lieu of a return to the classic TV show-based playtheme (that is, if we were to presume they'd touch upon the property at all when the time rolls around). But yes, for myself personally, I'd rather wish to see something very much like what you'd suggested: A Hanna-Barbera Umbrella Theme, based upon all the classic TV shows:smug:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

I think I herd somewhere that Warner is going to publicise this film as much as Harry Potter and DC which both have strong ongoing LEGO themes. So it's not outside the realm of possibility. I for one would love to see Scoob back in LEGO from and having the other Hanna-Barbera characters would be an awesome extra.

Yesterday we got our first look at how Scooby is going to look in the film.

20198212-01.jpg

And here's a plot synopsis.

“In its first (animated) feature destined for the big screen, Scooby-Doo is the hero of his own story. This adventure reveals how he and his best friend Shaggy became two of the world’s most appreciated crime solvers. It brings us back to the time where everything began, when Scooby and Shaggy, still young at the time, met up and got together with Daphne, Velma and Fred to inaugurate the Mystery Incorporated”

1 minute ago, LB2341 said:

Yesterday we got our first look at how Scooby is going to look in the film.

Wait a minute, how could I have missed that! *huh* 

Do you have an article link to such? Nothing for it comes up in a general news search for me. :def_shrug:

20 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Knowing Lego, I feel they'd likely end up doing direct tie-in sets for the upcoming theatrical movie this time around in lieu of a return to the classic TV show-based playtheme (that is, if we were to presume they'd touch upon the property at all when the time rolls around). But yes, for myself personally, I'd rather wish to see something very much like what you'd suggested: A Hanna-Barbera Umbrella Theme, based upon all the classic TV shows:smug:

If, and only if, LEGO decides to release sets based on the upcoming movie SCOOB!, those sets would have to sell successfully in order for LEGO to bring back the main Scooby-Doo theme. And yes, I agree that LEGO should do other Hanna-Barbera shows under one evergreen theme, especially The Flintstones!

I'd love to see Scooby-Doo return, I was in a dark age during the last run of the theme and I'm still kicking myself for missing it. 

Whilst like many others I loved the theme back in 2015 (as did my then-little boy), I do wonder if there is an argument for less is more? The Spooky Lighthouse and Mystery Machine (with interior mod) were perfect and god knows there’s plenty of themes (no names) that suffer from overkill.

Regarding this animated movie, I wouldn’t raise hopes. TLG have made several animated Scooby hour-long features since the main line (Haunted Hollywood, Pirate Beach Bash) without corresponding sets.

5 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Whilst like many others I loved the theme back in 2015 (as did my then-little boy), I do wonder if there is an argument for less is more? The Spooky Lighthouse and Mystery Machine (with interior mod) were perfect and god knows there’s plenty of themes (no names) that suffer from overkill.

Regarding this animated movie, I wouldn’t raise hopes. TLG have made several animated Scooby hour-long features since the main line (Haunted Hollywood, Pirate Beach Bash) without corresponding sets.

Actually, I was referring to getting new physical sets based on the SCOOB! movie. We never got more sets after its only wave in 2015. Let’s just wait and see what LEGO has in store for us next year.

On 4/19/2019 at 1:56 PM, MatthewRC said:

And yes, I agree that LEGO should do other Hanna-Barbera shows under one evergreen theme, especially The Flintstones!

...and The Jetsons! :wink:

14 hours ago, Ultron said:

I just want the dang Hex Girls and some classic villains :sing:

Don't forget the Ghoul School!

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

...and The Jetsons! :wink:

Right, The Jetsons deserves the LEGO treatment as well!

5 hours ago, LB2341 said:

Looks like Playmobil has the Scooby Doo licence now.
toybook.com/scooby-doo-and-those-meddling-kids-are-coming-to-playmobil/

Huh, Playmobil isn't exactly a construction toy, so their acquirement of the license shouldn't inhibit Lego, right? :shrug_confused:

P.S. On a side note, I find it a little disheartening to see Playmobil incrementally going further down the licensed route... :look:

32 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Huh, Playmobil isn't exactly a construction toy, so their acquirement of the license shouldn't inhibit Lego, right? :shrug_confused:

P.S. On a side note, I find it a little disheartening to see Playmobil incrementally going further down the licensed route... :look:

Maybe not? It's always hard to tell how the exact details of toy company's contracts go. They will loophole the holy hell out of what can and cannot be done to make things work. For example, Funko can't make "standard" Pops of Marvel or Star Wars licenses, so they make bobblehead Pops (of which Star Wars even has to have specialized stands), UNLESS it's in a special multipack, which allows them to make non-bobblehead Marvel Pops.

So for Lego's capabilities, it depends on what Playmobil has categorized their contract under. I doubt they'd have full control as a "building line" (which they aren't), so we're probably safe. Just so long as Megabl**ks keeps their grubby mits out of the pot.

49 minutes ago, BaneShake said:

Maybe not? It's always hard to tell how the exact details of toy company's contracts go. They will loophole the holy hell out of what can and cannot be done to make things work. For example, Funko can't make "standard" Pops of Marvel or Star Wars licenses, so they make bobblehead Pops (of which Star Wars even has to have specialized stands), UNLESS it's in a special multipack, which allows them to make non-bobblehead Marvel Pops.

So for Lego's capabilities, it depends on what Playmobil has categorized their contract under. I doubt they'd have full control as a "building line" (which they aren't), so we're probably safe. Just so long as Megabl**ks keeps their grubby mits out of the pot.

Also, when Playmobil got the Ghostbusters license, LEGO still released a BrickHeadz set of Peter Venkman and Slimer in 2018. So there should still be hope for a Scooby-Doo BrickHeadz set next year.

It is not only about licenses. Would LEGO want Scooby Doo sets on the shelves at the same time as Playmobil has Scooby Doo sets? It can lead to brand confusion, and also highlights the price difference between apparently large Playmobil sets and small LEGO sets. Of course, completely different products but not all consumers see that and just see LEGO as bad value compared to Playmobil.

2 hours ago, BaneShake said:

Wait, what? Aren’t there “standard” Pops of both Marvel and Star Wars characters? I’d swear those are two of the biggest franchises they do Pops in. And yes, I know the bobbleheads are different, but aren’t there both?

With Playmobil doing Scooby-Doo sets and LEGO already having a brand new spooky theme with Hidden Side I seriously doubt we will see any Scooby sets soon. Maybe Brickheadz, but that does not interest me.

Edited by Chiaroscuro

2 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Wait, what? Aren’t there “standard” Pops of both Marvel and Star Wars characters? I’d swear those are two of the biggest franchises they do Pops in. And yes, I know the bobbleheads are different, but aren’t there both?

All Star Wars and Marvel Pops are "bobble-heads" according to their packaging.  All other Pops (as far as I'm aware) are "vinyl figures".

2 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

With Playmobil doing Scooby-Doo sets and LEGO already having a brand new spooky theme with Hidden Side I seriously doubt we will see any Scooby sets soon. Maybe Brickheadz, but that does interest me.

As long as LEGO still has the construction toy license for Scooby-Doo.

1 hour ago, MatthewRC said:

As long as LEGO still has the construction toy license for Scooby-Doo.

For Brickheadz, yes. Apologies for my previous remark, I meant to say that I don’t have interest on those. 

I was was saying that I don’t see Lego having a market incentive to produce more Scooby-Doo sets, since they already have a similar line.

6 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

With Playmobil doing Scooby-Doo sets and LEGO already having a brand new spooky theme with Hidden Side I seriously doubt we will see any Scooby sets soon. Maybe Brickheadz, but that does not interest me.

While not directly comparable, Lego did release a ghost themed Ninjago wave and a monster themed CMF series right around the Scooby Doo theme, right? I don’t think a tie in wave of sets for the Scooby film would be out of the question alongside a future Hidden Side wave. That theme also as the phone game gimmick going for it. So buying a Scooby set wouldn’t satisfy the hardcore fans of Hidden Side who love it for being a game as well.

Regardless, I hope Lego still utilizes Scooby Doo in the future. It really could last for a few years without tying into any film or series, but we get new movies and shows practically every year, so it’s not like the franchise is ever going through any dry spell. This years marks its 50 year anniversary. The theme had potential. Brickheadz, a couple D2C’s (haunted mansion, haunted carnival, haunted pirate ship) hell, I could even imagine a minidoll based Scooby theme doing well if it focused on the cuter aspects of the series. The malt shop, Mystery Inc HQ, a Mystery Machine convertible, a ski trip with a yeti, etc. 

However, I’d imagine if we don’t get any sets in 2020, whether it be movie tie-ins or Brickheadz, I’d imagine the theme is retired.