Bob

Pirates Mafia - Conclusion

PGO only activates if killed, not just a night action.

——

Giving it a little (already too much) thought, this game was a draw, as scum had no method of killing me.  I won’t be pissed if it goes down in the books as a scum win, but it wasn’t, for very obvious reasons.  That’s half the reason I had no sweat day nine.

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Draw

“In the case where the remnants of two factions cannot kill each other, the game is considered a draw between the living factions.”

I haven't played scum in a very long time and the rustiness showed.  Henry was on to me very early.  Ultimately, I was caught for being blocked on a night when we weren't able to kill.  The every-other-night kill mechanic really confused people throughout the game, and Patrick was able to take advantage of it after his conversion.  I think the ability to retain the player's town role when converted makes sense in the context of a role madness game.  I don't recall any other scum team allowing multiple actions at night... I may have to go back and read Yakuza (I think I was scum that game, too...).

I thought it was possible for people to catch Patrick, but it seemed extremely unlikely to me.  Why on earth would Louisa block him?  Why would anyone investigate him?  The only real context in which I thought he might get caught was if he somehow came up from the watcher.  The fact that everyone had a role was maybe the only host tell I thought might give away the notion of a conversion.

I agree a bit with Def that in the 1 vs. 1 situation where the night actions can cancel each other out in perpetuity, a draw is generally the right approach.  I can also see an argument that, thematically, Redbeard's crew is too shorthanded to out sail the Imperials.  At any rate, in the index I've been keeping of the recent games, I only call out survivors and let the reader look at the conclusion threads to see how the game resolved.  Blood on the Clocktower specifically calls out that evil wins when the game is down to two players, and I think that's a fair thing for our hosts to define in their starting rule set.

Really happy to see some names in this game that hadn't played in a while.  Danny, Def, and White Fang... super glad you joined us again.  I actively tried to avoid some of my normal play approaches in order that people wouldn't quickly guess who I was, although I didn't spend too much time trying to figure others out.

16 hours ago, def said:

PGO only activates if killed, not just a night action.

——

Giving it a little (already too much) thought, this game was a draw, as scum had no method of killing me.  I won’t be pissed if it goes down in the books as a scum win, but it wasn’t, for very obvious reasons.  That’s half the reason I had no sweat day nine.

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Draw

“In the case where the remnants of two factions cannot kill each other, the game is considered a draw between the living factions.”

Perhaps in the future this is something we can add to the official rules of Eurobricks? We've rarely seen a parity in games like this. 

3 hours ago, Bob said:

Perhaps in the future this is something we can add to the official rules of Eurobricks? We've rarely seen a parity in games like this. 

I think we should.

I think a major problem was that I planned this game for 16 people, hoped and prepared for more, received less, and when I rebalanced the game I did it poorly. 

I'm really sorry if you had a bad time this game. I tried to make it exciting with role madness, and I think that aspect was exciting and that's one that I wouldn't mind including/trying again.

The scum didn't like the night kill every other night. The conversion ruined the game for a lot of people. The confusion about what happened in the event of a parity caused a lot of division. 

I also vow to never have a conversion or recruit in another one of my games, if anyone ever decides to allow me to have another game. 

@Bob, no apology required as far as I’m concerned.  The conversion threw us all off, and it would have been good to know up front.  Having said that, there were a few instances  where I questioned whether Patrick was town as a result of what he said in PM, but I kept coming back to the fact that he had helped us nail two scum and that I would have been lynched immediately if I had publicly questioned his allegiance.  Henry also pointed out several times how he had to convince Patrick to switch his vote to Geoffrey.  My (our?) bad for not acting on these things.

@Bob, excellent job taking feedback in stride and taking people's concerns seriously. We only grow by taking criticism and discerning valid points that we can be proactive about when hosting again. It's nice of you to apologize, but don't forget you offered weeks of free entertainment to people. Good job! I hope to play an anonymous game some day and am happy someone else is willing to tackle it! I love that you had some of the same frustrations I did, @Tariq j :laugh:

2 hours ago, Bob said:

I think a major problem was that I planned this game for 16 people, hoped and prepared for more, received less, and when I rebalanced the game I did it poorly. 

This is SUUUUUCH a mood. Bob I loved this game even though I thought it was hard to win at first. You continue to be one of my favorite Hosts and, while the game did more or less end in a Draw, it was still thoroughly entertaining. :pir-wub:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

No worries Bob, I think everybody had lots of fun.  I don’t think you calibrated your rules great, and it’s happened in everybody’s games at some points. Remember that luxury ship game you ran where I got a thief role with a simple win condition, so I ‘won’ my game on day three, then just sat around.  I wasn’t complaining there, though it didn’t make a ton of sense :laugh: 

But it’s just a game, and you’re always trying new things, and you put a lot of time into it.  Thanks!  

And I enjoyed knowing I helped catch two scum, which is the number reason we’re all here, not to win.

11 hours ago, def said:

No worries Bob, I think everybody had lots of fun.  I don’t think you calibrated your rules great, and it’s happened in everybody’s games at some points. Remember that luxury ship game you ran where I got a thief role with a simple win condition, so I ‘won’ my game on day three, then just sat around.  I wasn’t complaining there, though it didn’t make a ton of sense :laugh: 

But it’s just a game, and you’re always trying new things, and you put a lot of time into it.  Thanks!  

And I enjoyed knowing I helped catch two scum, which is the number reason we’re all here, not to win.

I remember in the original Excalibur Mafia I made CallMePie a neutral investigator for some reason. *huh* And I think I let Hinckley come back as a tree stump after he couldn’t contain himself on the deadboard anymore. I can barely remember. I have a terrible memory except for the subject I teach. This game was halfway anonymous for me as well because I forgot who was playing who and often times had to look it up. 

I’m not the most consistent or conventional host. I’m hoping you’ll all try a better balanced out version in Pirates II, whenever we get around to it in the future after other people have a chance to host games in the interim. It will give me a chance to balance out better and not throw people for a loop. 

8 hours ago, Bob said:

I’m not the most consistent or conventional host.

I like that you're willing to try oddball things.  Sometimes they work well and other times less well, but they're always interesting.

Sorry townies. I did somehow screw up early in my Day 2. So this resulted somehow I got myself being targeted for attempting to fly under the radar. 

On 4/16/2019 at 11:55 AM, Bob said:

I’m not the most consistent or conventional host. I’m hoping you’ll all try a better balanced out version in Pirates II, whenever we get around to it in the future after other people have a chance to host games in the interim. It will give me a chance to balance out better and not throw people for a loop.

I think everyone thinks they suck after hosting a game... at least that's how I felt when I hosted Red Menace (though it was objectively not well thought out). I hope one day to be a true Loyal Pirate breaking Captain Redbeard out of Ford Eldorado.

I don't mind unbalanced games if they're interesting.  I think this game was interesting.  I try really hard to win, but after the fact, I don't really care much about the win if I still had fun.  The winning isn't what makes it fun for me.

Edited by fhomess