Bob

Pirates Mafia - Conclusion

Anyone can post here, in your Eurobricks accounts. 

pirates_banner.png

---

img_1970.jpg

"So, I guess I walk the plank now, right Captain?" Louisa asked.

"Oh for the love of..."

The Captain took out his trusty flintlock and shot her.

img_1972.jpg

"Well. I'd say that we've won!" Henry said. 

"Well, not exactly." Patrick said. "I mean, I've won. Or rather, the scum have."

img_1973.jpg

"Patrick!" Redbeard shouted. "Say it isn't so!"

"Um. It isn't so?"

"But you were one of my friends."

"I'm sorry, Captain." 

"There's two of us though, and one of you." Henry said. 

"I'm just an NPC, actually."

"Actually, there's a lot more than one of him." a voice shouted from off camera.

img_1975.jpg

The Caribbean Clipper had finally caught up to them.

"Arrrr! Captain Not-Broadside! We meet again!"

"Yes, Redbeard! Only this time you seem to be missing your crew!" 

"Well...they're just...below deck. Give them a second."

"Prepare to be boarded, Redbeard!"

img_1976.jpg

And so, as the Imperial Soldiers secured the mighty Black Seas Barracuda, Captain Redbeard and Henry were led off the ship and onto the Clipper.

"You won't get away with this, you bluecoat bastards! I'll get my ship back!"

"It's off to the hangman at Fort Eldorado for you, Redbeard!" Not-Broadside shouted.

img_1977.jpg

"Well Patrick?" A rescued Lieutenant Barty Brewster, in his uniform said. "Don't you feel like you've joined the right side?" 

"Yeah." Geoffrey, an ordinary soldier in his uniform added. "You did good these last few days." 

"..." 

img_1978.jpg

And so, a sailor removed Redbeard's flag from the back of the ship and tossed it into the sea...

img_1979.jpg

...Replacing it with the colors of the Imperial Guards.

img_1980.jpg

It was truly the end of an era in the Lego Caribbean as the formidable Captain Redbeard's vessel was hauled back to Fort Eldorado, with the Captain himself imprisoned in the Clipper's brig, most of his crew dead or lost at sea, and his fortune lost to the ages.

Is this the last we'll see of Captain Redbeard?

It depends on how savagely this game is roasted.

The End!

---

Players:
alden.jpg
Jack “One Eye” Alden - Town Vengeful - Played By: Kristel
dixon.jpg
Timothy “The Butcher” Dixon - Town Bodyguard - Played By: Tariq j 
pinkerton.jpg
Alexander “The Anchor” Pinkerton - Town Commuter - Played By: Zepher
hammond.jpg
Louisa “The Fierce” Hammond - Town Blocker - Played By: LegoMonorailFan
brewster.jpg
Bartholomew “Barty” Brewster - Scum Blocker/One-Shot Recruiter - Played By: fhomess
triggs.jpg
Patrick “Paddy” Triggs - Converted Jailor - Played By: jamesn
finch.jpg
Joseph “The Ruthless” Finch - Town Mason - Played By: mediumsnowman
chapman.jpg
Thomas “Lucky” Chapman - Town Investigator - Played By: KotZ
thornton.jpg
Jane “One-Eared” Thornton - Town Rolecop - Played By: mostlytechnic
langley.jpg
Malcolm “Swab’s The Deck” Langley - Town Mason - Khscarymovie4
holton.jpg
Geoffrey “The Brave” Holton - Scum Killer - Dannylonglegs
smith.jpg
Gordon “Crow’s Nest” Smith - Town Inventor - Kintobor
fontaine.jpg
Remy “The French” Fontaine - Town Coroner - WhiteFang
ogden.jpg
Henry “The Kraken” Ogden - Town PGO - def
clayton.jpg
Nigel “The Immortal” Clayton - Town Watcher - Asphalt

So, Congratulations to the Winners of Pirates Mafia: 

The Scum:

fhomess, Dannylonglegs, and jamesn! 

The Surviving Townie: 

def

EDIT: After careful consideration, I’d say despite the initial ruling of a scum victory, we can give this game a semi-draw to the surviving town member def and to the scum and jamesn, who played brilliantly. 

Night Actions:

8cdd23dbe62ee23734d9a7a8a88f8699.png

13f70f788193222aa148cdbd1599cece.png

For those concerned as to why this is a victory for the scum and not a tie, we'll go back to mafia case law. All the way back to the first recorded mafia game with rules, which was Mystery Castle (Western Mafia and Roman Mafia had rules, but nothing about win conditions), it was stated that for the scum to win, they needed to outnumber the town. This has been the standard rule in every Eurobricks mafia since then, with some notable differences in experimental games. In several games, when it's come down to a pair, the scum have emerged victorious. The first example of this was in Baritones II, when Shadows was in this exact situation. A recruited scum who won for the scum. I believe Unrest in the Forest also had this as an outcome, although with a different set of circumstances since Hinckley was a serial killer. 

Another note, I have never heard of a host telling the players up front that there may be a recruiter in the game. Nobody considered that when they saw Geoffrey target Patrick, and Geoffrey flipped scum, that Patrick may have been converted. Nobody thought to investigate Patrick. You lynched your own investigator. You considered Patrick to be 100% confirmed town without him ever being investigated. 

As for allowing the final scum to do two actions, this was the tricky bit. It's unorthodox but it has happened in other games. The scum can only kill every other night. They could also janitor every other night, and they also gained the ability to janitor once Patrick was recruited. In addition, Patrick kept his role of jailkeeper. I had envisioned the scum of using their recruit ability earlier in the game, however it turned out fortuitous for them that they did not. 

Everyone in the game had at least some sort of a role. WhiteFang's coroner role would have been very useful in the later game when all those bodies started to get janitored away. It would've been interesting to see Zepher's commuting role used. I don't blame Zepher for disappearing. He signed up for a game and it took awhile for it to get off the ground. 

I promised poor mostlytechnic, who was killed Night One, a second anonymous sequel game to this. If there's interest, let me know. 

Thanks for playing! :pir-blush:

Edited by Bob
Updated the victory

Eh, whatever.

Patrick, nice job not voting for Jack day seven.  That was the key reason I wouldn’t have changed my vote to you.  Sneaky!  That was a smart town play. 

EB always had a gentleman’s agreement that power roles were unrecruitable, and furthermore, if there was recruiting, it was generally referred to in the opening day or the rules, so that players could be wary of it.  It’s helpful to know what game you’re playing before you play it. (You thought this was basketball? Hah! It’s soccer!) Everyone had a role, so that affected that first thing, but a heads up would have made some difference.  Saying Patrick wasn’t investigated is meaningless since he could have been investigated day one, then recruited. So... As for two night actions, when Badboy allowed it in his Yakuza mafia, it was loudly derided by all.  It’s not unorthodox, it’s broken and the host putting their finger on the scales to lengthen the game.  You need to set up the rules and then play them out to the end, for better or worse.

And rewrite your rules if you think outnumber means parity.  I’m pretty sure a ton of rules over the years have established this.  Going back to the earliest games held here as an example of why it was changed, not why it was okay :wink:

Anyway, this was my first mafia in two years or so, and lots of fun! Thanks!   :sweet: No hard feelings, I’m not so mafia-nuts as I used to be, so I can write this with a bit of remove.

Like Def this was also my first game in like 2 years. I've been on Hiatus from Lego since my brother, who had an account here himself, died. That coupled with college stress, transitioning, and the death of my Step Father, I've had my hands full with personal stuff. Also I'll admit I was pretty embarrassed about how poorly I managed hosting my own first game. 

But I'm back! 

Damn this was fun! I really missed this. More coming, but I just gotta say, GREAT job Patrick. You make me so proud! :pir-wub:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

6a010536fa9ded970b01b7c816c60b970b-800wi.gif

http://i.imgur.com/SkBbJNY.gifv

40 minutes ago, def said:

EB always had a gentleman’s agreement that power roles were unrecruitable

This is difficult when nobody is vanilla, though. I can understand your complaint about how the rules were written. I just played the hand I was dealt... sorry!

I have two comments for Bob: Firstly that the alternate-night scum kill seemed very weak, but on the other hand town eviscerated itself as a result. Secondly, I do feel that Gordon should have been able to give Jack a magnifying glass on the night I killed him.

This was fun, if long. Thanks for hosting, Bob!

Edited by jimmynick
posting gifs is hard

Looking at a single game past game I hosted, it does say outnumber as well.  This may have been an academic discussion in the the back end years ago, with the assumption that an EB game needs a majority to lynch, and that night the scum could kill, making it inevitable.  But I bet there was a game where parity was reached and it didn’t end because of town actions flipping things back... but I only remember games I live to the end to very well, so I can’t give an example!  But in this game, Patrick couldn’t kill me without dying, so :def_shrug:

1 minute ago, jimmynick said:

SkBbJNY.gifv

This is difficult when nobody is vanilla, though. I can understand your complaint about how the rules were written. I just played the hand I was dealt... sorry!

I have two comments for Bob: Firstly that the alternate-night scum kill seemed very weak, but on the other hand town eviscerated itself as a result. Secondly, I do feel that Gordon should have been able to give Jack a magnifying glass on the night I killed him.

I addressed that somewhere below the part you quoted.

And yes, actions of the killed do occur in proper mafia rules.

So at first I was quite upset by how seemingly underpowered our scum team was. 2 scum and I could only kill everyother day. I was convinced there was a second scum team in fact. Or a joiner or some neutral faction. When I found out that Barty had a one-shot recruit ability I was a bit less convinced, but I tried to maintain the mindset that there were actually other scum out there for me to find. 

At first we blocked Henry because he had been leading the lynch on Barty. We figured if he was the Vig, tracker, or investigator he would be most likely to target Barty. His histrionic "relief" that he wasn't targeted for the kill was interpretted by myself as him acknowledging he'd been blocked, so we blocked him again under the impression that he had a night action. When the "relief" continued tho we immediately knew he was PGO. Sorry fam but we guessed ur role before Patrick was in the fold. 

I killed Jane because she seemed logical but not vocal enough to draw attention from a protector or watcher. Had the choice been viable I would have killed the watcher before converting Patrick, but I knew time was of the essence. And I'm glad I sacrificed myself to bring Patrick over to our side. I knew he'd be watched but it was worth it. I figured with him backing me up I might even survive the subsequent day... but we quickly realized bussing me was far more prudent. I tried spouting babble about conversions to make things even more confusing. For the town when my role was revealed. A touch of WIFOM which no one ever called back to :tongue:

~Insectoid Aristocrat. 

2 hours ago, Bob said:

I promised poor mostlytechnic, who was killed Night One, a second anonymous sequel game to this. If there's interest, let me know. 

Yeah, I could do this again. The anonymity made it fun, though I did figure out Dannylonglegs and pin down Henry to Shadows/def/Hinck/Fugazi.

Just now, Dannylonglegs said:

I figured with him backing me up I might even survive the subsequent day... but we quickly realized bussing me was far more prudent

I did try to build you a watertight alibi!

2 minutes ago, jimmynick said:

Yeah, I could do this again. The anonymity made it fun, though I did figure out Dannylonglegs and pin down Henry to Shadows/def/Hinck/Fugazi.

Well I constantly talked about my failed mafia game in the scumthread and my conversion in Darkdragon's Friends Mafia, so... :tongue:

and I appreciate it but we both knew I'd be gone sooner than later.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Me has a lot to read thru! GG everyone! Great game Bob!!! 

Oh wait are the scum and dead boards available?

50 minutes ago, def said:

Eh, whatever.

Patrick, nice job not voting for Jack day seven.  That was the key reason I wouldn’t have changed my vote to you.  Sneaky!  That was a smart town play. 

EB always had a gentleman’s agreement that power roles were unrecruitable, and furthermore, if there was recruiting, it was generally referred to in the opening day or the rules, so that players could be wary of it.  It’s helpful to know what game you’re playing before you play it. (You thought this was basketball? Hah! It’s soccer!) Everyone had a role, so that affected that first thing, but a heads up would have made some difference.  Saying Patrick wasn’t investigated is meaningless since he could have been investigated day one, then recruited. So... As for two night actions, when Badboy allowed it in his Yakuza mafia, it was loudly derided by all.  It’s not unorthodox, it’s broken and the host putting their finger on the scales to lengthen the game.  You need to set up the rules and then play them out to the end, for better or worse.

And rewrite your rules if you think outnumber means parity.  I’m pretty sure a ton of rules over the years have established this.  Going back to the earliest games held here as an example of why it was changed, not why it was okay :wink:

Anyway, this was my first mafia in two years or so, and lots of fun! Thanks!   :sweet: No hard feelings, I’m not so mafia-nuts as I used to be, so I can write this with a bit of remove.

Thanks for not having any hard feelings with me! I'm glad you had fun! I was really worried how you were going to react based on what you were saying in the thread. I will make a mental note to permanently remove from all further games of mine the double scum night action tomfoolery. I think this might be the first time in (recent, at least) memory that a parity has been reached, so perhaps we'll have to make an amendment to the official copy paste Eurobricks rules that everybody uses. 

I still don't remember any game where hosts have mentioned recruiting being in the game though. Maybe it's because recruits haven't been as common now as they once were and I've just got memory loss?

15 minutes ago, jimmynick said:

You couldn't tell it was def by the occasional slights towards the host? :laugh: The only way it would've been more obvious is if he brought out towniest of the town. 

6 minutes ago, jimmynick said:

Hold up: how come Louisa was unsuccessful on night 8? Is it because Timothy died?

Yes. I mean, sure, she could've blocked a corpse. There does seem to be an error in the spreadsheet. Louisa was not jailed, you killed Joseph that night. 

5 minutes ago, Bob said:

I still don't remember any game where hosts have mentioned recruiting being in the game though. Maybe it's because recruits haven't been as common now as they once were and I've just got memory loss?

The Forest 2 had a rule about "fully accepting being recruited to whatever team" or whatever and I even mentioned it to you, and there was a whole thing when Shadows recruited Draggy except Draggy won as SK and not scum, and the subsequent politics.

6 minutes ago, Bob said:

Yes. I mean, sure, she could've blocked a corpse. There does seem to be an error in the spreadsheet. Louisa was not jailed, you killed Joseph that night.

Ah, I see.

6 minutes ago, Bob said:

You couldn't tell it was def by the occasional slights towards the host? :laugh:

It was the combination of Henry being very clever and very good at mafia, and the PM recommendation to read the last day of Belville Mafia.

Honestly given all the thoughts he entertained about me being converted, I really am surprised def didn't throw a vote my way.

When I was first hosting, there was a lot of discussion of how recruiting worked.  The general rule was vanillas only, and second was they lost their power if recruited.  I think in my last game with recruiting, the recruitable were only half the vanillas, planned in advance, and that was stated in advance so players knew the game they were playing.

How could there be a town block with recruitment?  It drastically changes your play style when you know a teammate can flip sides.

3 minutes ago, jimmynick said:

Honestly given all the thoughts he entertained about me being converted, I really am surprised def didn't throw a vote my way.

I thought about it for sure, it was the day seven vote that kept me from doing so.  The number one reason I thought about it was this: it’s a Bob game. Sorry, Bob.  

1 hour ago, def said:

Patrick, nice job not voting for Jack day seven.

If I had done that, I would have died and hence lost :tongue: It was much more self-preservation than real strategy.

Well, it worked out in your favor then.  I worked real hard to prove my town credentials in days 1-3, then then was pretty casual days 4-8, so I didn't pay much mind to Jack's vengeful or whatever it was when it happened.

Before I forget, following the tradition I started in my very first Mafia game, hosted by Bob no less, I stated my night actions in poem form: 

Night One:

"True to form and true to mission

I missed this by my own admission

The thrill of lying, analyzing

Winning the war through attrition

I didn't forget you loved my quirk

And while I wear a jaunty smirk

I shall confess, granted success

Who it is I plan to merc

A clever townie suits me ill

One willing to die upon her hill

I'll grant that wish and feed the fish

It's Jane who I intend to kill."

Night Two:

"Although this night I must sit out

My sword, though sheathed, I'll swing about

The blade, my tongue, though stayed is swung

And I'll blather with you for clout 

Despite our start being rocky

And at risk of sounding too cocky

I think we did well, tho time will sure tell

And we'll run with this puck like in hockey

My biggest concern I'll reveal

Is that our team just lost a wheel

That Remy was scum, and playing it dumb

A Traitor just dealt a raw deal 

Altho if that do be the case 

When a heel is revealed as his face

Bart's in the clear, and can hold my beer

As Louisa is lynched in his place"

Night Three:

"Today was not a victory

In fact it's rather sad to see

My mate pass on, and with him gone

To plan for my next trickery

In spite of the hand we were dealt

And if I am truly care felt 

I'll persevere, and shift up a gear

Under heat the town block will melt.

I now know the blocker and Jailkeep

The watcher who eyes us as we sleep

I'll infiltrate, where they congregate

And send them all off to the deep

It'll still be an uphill battle

But I can't row without a paddle

I need a new crew. Patrick will do.

I'll Recruit him to slaughter the cattle"

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

The anonymity was great, thanks for hosting Bob! 

I thought Malcolm and I’s Mason claim was fairly airtight, so I see now why Patrick stopped talking to me. :grin:

But on that note... to put it bluntly I think it’s kind of stupid to lose because the “block leader” got recruited, as is the ability to execute two actions in one night. There’s a certain expectation that people and actions are 1:1 and when that changes trying to puzzle out night actions is just a mess. 

I kept playing over and over the alibi’s for the last six of us, and everyone had a perfectly reasonable case for being town. I just regret getting tunnel vision on Jack, sorry Kristel! I was completely convinced he had to be the Godfather and after that flip I pretty went “alright I officially guess I have no idea how to play mafia anymore” (though it has been a while!)

I thought Thomas was Khscarymovie, Patrick was mostlytechnic, and my buddy Malcolm was jluck (all wrong!) but beyond that I didn’t really bother to guess anyone. Defeats the point of anonymity! 

Thanks for hosting Bob, and good game to everyone.

It's a shame someone had to post in their real account three times in the day thread. Not sure who that was :innocent:

I thought that everyone having a PR role was neat. I've played vengeful twice in previous games. So it was interesting to be on the recieving end of one :laugh: The fact Patrick was able to carry out 2 night actions in one night really threw me off because I was convinced there had to be at least two scum left. I was even more baffled when Jack was revealed as town and my body had been Janitored.  

Wow. Great job Patrick. I honestly never thought a PR could have been recruited so you had me in belief that you were 99% town. This was a very fun game, I know that during the middlish I was going over so much in my head it sort of started to hurt, but hey that's the fun. I wish I would have fought harder against my lynch but I though that my death would have confirmed Joseph. That janitor sure did come out of nowhere, I was very confused when I first read the next day. 

Thank you for hosting this great game Bob! It was very different in other mafia games I have played, not just the anonymity, but with everyone having a role and a lot of the roles being new to me. I would not mind doing another anonymous game in the future. Unless anyone did not know there was no deadboard, but there appears to be a scumboard. I would very much like to read that. 

Thanks for the game, Bob! I was considering running a Role Madness style game myself, but seeing as how you've beaten me to the punch, I'll hold off for a little while. :classic:

Wow. 

And really, def is back, and not only did I not realize it, but I GOT KILLED OFF THE FIRST NIGHT and so didn't get to argue with him at all? Argh!

Seriously, fun game. Even though I was out I kept reading and couldn't believe how long it went. The role madness was pretty cool, but yeah, I can only image how I'd been feeling if I was still in the last few players there...

And I loved the anonymous part too. I deliberately (since I was dead and there was no reason to) didn't try to figure anyone out. Just enjoyed the tale...

I enjoyed the game.  Thanks for having me Bob.  This was my third game back to back and there was so much new material here that it did not get old.  Everyone being a PR was fun and threw lots of wrenches into the works.  I didn't know recruitment was a thing so that was a great wrinkle.  Suspecting Patrick early on to form an alliance and then have him be turned was a fun plot.

Great game, Bob! Loved having the anonymous element back for this. I was a terrible investigator, and great job scum!