Digger of Bricks

Sci-Fi Themed Collectable Minifigures - Wishlists and Speculation

Discuss your hopes, wishes, and speculation on what LEGO's Collectable Minifigure line may offer for Sci-Fi fans in the near future! :classic:

Lego Minifigures

Edited by Digger of Bricks

It's no secret that The LEGO Movie 2 and its surrounding media contains the obvious CMF-bait of the Fox Girl, with newly tooled suit not present in the final assortment. In addition to her one-scene cameo in the movie itself, she's present in the TLM2 video game - alongside some other interesting likely-to-be-from-a-CMF designs. There's new attempts at some of the Fabuland characters using the standard minifig bodytype and newly-tooled heads, but the real star surprise is Denny, the Red Classic Space minifigure notably absent from Benny's Space Squad.

Basically, my wish is that this deduced-through-context-clues CMF assortment doesn't end up cancelled because of this movie's more unsteady performance in the box office, so we can be that much closer to a full assortment of stable retro-shaped helmet Classic Space minifigs. I'd definitely like black and green (and maybe blue - an undamaged Benny is admittedly wishful thinking!) versions of those helmets eventually, but the red one is by far the most obvious missing gap right now given how prevalent they were in the original line.

43 minutes ago, toastergrl said:

Basically, my wish is that this deduced-through-context-clues CMF assortment doesn't end up cancelled because of this movie's more unsteady performance in the box office, so we can be that much closer to a full assortment of stable retro-shaped helmet Classic Space minifigs. I'd definitely like black and green (and maybe blue - an undamaged Benny is admittedly wishful thinking!) versions of those helmets eventually, but the red one is by far the most obvious missing gap right now given how prevalent they were in the original line.

Have any particular CMF hopes for Series 19 and beyond? :classic: Personally, a few wishes I have for the future include...

• Rocket Trooper/Hero (think The Rocketeer)
  • Retro Space Heroine (a female counterpart to the S17 Retro Spaceman)
  • Intergalactic Cop (in other words, a Space Police Officer!)
  • Mecha Pilot (perhaps as a tribute to LEGO's Exo-Force theme)
  • Starship Captain (think Star Trek's Captain Kirk or Picard)
  • Inventor (preferably Steampunk themed, much like @Robert8's design)
  • Retro Space Explorer (more akin to bubble-helmeted spacemen of '50s Sci-Fi rather than Flash Gordon)
  • Time Traveler (preferably Steampunk themed)
  • Malevolent Android (inspired after Metropolis's Maschinenmensch)
  • Starfighter Pilot (like any pilot character you'd see from Star Wars, except Classic Space themed)
  • Galactic Overlord (inspired lightly after Darth Vader, but with a Blacktron theme)
  • Airship Captain (essentially, a Steampunk take on a 19th Century Navel Captain)

I'm going to be unoriginal and maybe a little repetitive re my previous answer, and say "more classic space stuff". There's a number of ideas in your list that could work out very well, but the number one issue is that I prefer to be surprised rather than waiting for anything specific, when it comes to anything other than adding to groups already created - which then becomes an exercise in completionism, which I'd rather not get sucked into for anything but Classic Spacers.

4 hours ago, toastergrl said:

I'm going to be unoriginal and maybe a little repetitive re my previous answer, and say "more classic space stuff". There's a number of ideas in your list that could work out very well, but the number one issue is that I prefer to be surprised rather than waiting for anything specific, when it comes to anything other than adding to groups already created - which then becomes an exercise in completionism, which I'd rather not get sucked into for anything but Classic Spacers.

So, I guess you're just generally hoping for anything that may fall into the context of "Classic Space" rather than setting your heart on anything more specific within that context? :shrug_oh_well:

Personally, I think the most ideal archetype the Classic Space genre/subtheme could use right now from the Collectable Minifigure line is a Starship Captain. Ya know, it'd essentially be a Yellow skin-toned Captain Kirk from Star Trek, except with a Classic Space logo rather than a Starfleet one. :classic:

On 4/10/2019 at 8:31 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

• Starship Captain (think Star Trek's Captain Kirk or Picard)

I would be tickled pink if they were to base the facial features of such a figure loosely on those on Captain Bart Seeker from the Jim Spaceborn comics! Nostalgic touches like that are always a lot of fun.

I would also love to see a female Blacktron minifigure to complement the Series 3 Space Villain.

It’s hard to think of many I’d be strongly interested in that aren’t so indulgent nostalgia-wise, because a lot of the blind-bag Minifigures I like best are those that either connect with themes I already own or am fond of, or those that have good modern, casual parts for building minifigures of me and my friends (which sci-fi figures aren’t so suited to).

As brilliant as figures like the Retro Spaceman and Cyborg are, they aren’t the kind of figures that I generally tend to seek out, nor ones that inspire me to try creating/visualizing MOCs and custom figures the way that the Space Villain and CMF Spy did.

A "Mech Pilot" based on the Exo-Force theme (but with more classic fig facial features) could be pretty cool!

10 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I would also love to see a female Blacktron minifigure to complement the Series 3 Space Villain.

I myself would also love to see a female counterpart to Series 7's Galaxy Patrol, perhaps in Dark Red with a Bright Green HUD. :shrug_oh_well:

8 hours ago, Lyichir said:

A "Mech Pilot" based on the Exo-Force theme (but with more classic fig facial features) could be pretty cool!

I've always figured such a potential CMF should definitely include a neon recolor of a more current Magna-esque hairpiece alongside their helmet. Kai's TV show or cinematic hairpiece, for instance, could certainly work for such a recolor!

16 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I've always figured such a potential CMF should definitely include a neon recolor of a more current Magna-esque hairpiece alongside their helmet. Kai's TV show or cinematic hairpiece, for instance, could certainly work for such a recolor!

Yeah, I agree. There are plenty of options that aren't quite as oversized and undetailed.

Another thing that could be fun would be some sort of Galidor cameo—getting a figure like Nick Bluetooth or Gorm as an actual minifigure could be awesome. Though that might be getting a bit TOO franchise-specific. For the mech pilot idea I was thinking something more along the lines of a generic or new character but with a uniform and emblems calling back to the Exo-Force theme.

Here are a few other ideas of mine...

• Biomechanical Warrior/Alien (i.e. generic CMF homage to Bionicle)
  • Steampunk Adventurer/Adventuress
  • Jaeger (Pacific Rim-inspired counterpart to the S9 Battle Mech)
  • Meteor Miner (M-Tron themed female counterpart to the S12 Space Miner)
  • Superhero/Superheroine
  • Space/Cyber Knight (i.e. generic CMF homage to Nexo Knights)
20 hours ago, Lyichir said:

For the mech pilot idea I was thinking something more along the lines of a generic or new character but with a uniform and emblems calling back to the Exo-Force theme.

Exactly! :thumbup: :smug:

Plus, perhaps such a CMF can weave a little bit of Pacific Rim Jaeger Pilot into its design inspirations. :wink: