Sign in to follow this  
BeyrouthLego

Lego in China

Hi guys, I'm currently in the process of making a mini-documentary to dispel the myths and rumors about Lego in China, over the next few months I will be interviewing long time collectors/Lego employees about there story with Lego.

Does anyone in this community have any questions/comments they would like answered within this documentary?

Hi BeyrouthLego!  There's an awful lot of chatter out there about various China topics- what myths & rumors are you looking at in particular?  I think starting there might spark more discussion and ideas here.

I'm not 100% sure I understand, so just to be clear, will you be interviewing Lego employees and fans IN China as part of this?

If so, it will be extremely interesting, since a lot of the dialogue about Lego's presence in China on English-language forums comes from a Western perspective (whether it's from fans or Lego Group representatives), while the perspective of local fans or Lego employees in China is mostly discussed hypothetically if at all. I would be fascinated to hear what they can bring to the discussion.

If you're just interviewing global representatives and non-Chinese fans, it might still be interesting and informative to some, but as someone who has already discussed the topic at length and read much of what there is to read publicly about Lego's business endeavors there, I doubt it will interest me personally to the same extent.

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I'm not 100% sure I understand, so just to be clear, will you be interviewing Lego employees and fans IN China as part of this?

If so, it will be extremely interesting, since a lot of the dialogue about Lego's presence in China on English-language forums comes from a Western perspective (whether it's from fans or Lego Group representatives), while the perspective of local fans or Lego employees in China is mostly discussed hypothetically if at all. I would be fascinated to hear what they can bring to the discussion.

If you're just interviewing global representatives and non-Chinese fans, it might still be interesting and informative to some, but as someone who has already discussed the topic at length and read much of what there is to read publicly about Lego's business endeavors there, I doubt it will interest me personally to the same extent.

Yes, I live and work in China, so I will be interviewing Lego employees, long time collectors, Lego educators from first/second tier cities, which isn't a fair representation of China, but is the best I can do for now.

I for one will be very interested in the results of your interviews. I have often wondered what people think of LEGO in China, instead of others opinions of what they think people in China views are. 

23 hours ago, BeyrouthLego said:

Does anyone in this community have any questions/comments they would like answered within this documentary?

Well, could you perhaps gain some insight into what most of China's Lego-purchasing consumers are seeking from Lego, maybe in terms of what product lines/themes/franchises are the most popular over there and what Chinese AFOLs feel is lacking currently in their product line-up? :shrug_confused:

On 4/10/2019 at 10:49 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, could you perhaps gain some insight into what most of China's Lego-purchasing consumers are seeking from Lego, maybe in terms of what product lines/themes/franchises are the most popular over there and what Chinese AFOLs feel is lacking currently in their product line-up? :shrug_confused:

Just completed my first interview with a couple of Lego Store employees last night, it was really insightful,  I hope to go to a few different locations to get more interviews. I have another interview set up for next week with a long-time collector which I hope can give a different perspective. Planning to get the whole documentary completed by the end of May.

Tell the Chinese LEGO folks that next year a translated to simplified Chinese (also for rest of world in English) series of 9 books of my encyclopedic LEGO Collectors Guide will be out in 2020 to help them catch up on the extensive history of LEGO sets and parts, as well as every LEGO item imaginable, from LEGO retailers, to the Billund HQ... (a shameless plug)... :wink:

46678710235_00330fc525_b.jpg

21 hours ago, BeyrouthLego said:

Just completed my first interview with a couple of Lego Store employees last night, it was really insightful,  I hope to go to a few different locations to get more interviews.

Without going into specifics, what subject matters and topics were discussed? :classic:

9 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Without going into specifics, what subject matters and topics were discussed? :classic:

Most popular lines, Amount of AFOLs, Legos Growth in the country. Both of the employees I talked to were really big fans of Lego, so they talked a little bit about their history with Lego. Even asked questions about competitors and Le-pin.

16 hours ago, BeyrouthLego said:

Most popular lines, Amount of AFOLs, Legos Growth in the country. Both of the employees I talked to were really big fans of Lego, so they talked a little bit about their history with Lego. Even asked questions about competitors and Le-pin.

Sounds great! :thumbup: I'll be looking most forward to all the complete interviews! :classic:

Edited by Digger of Bricks