Thunderwingds

Moc steam train help

So I've been working on a black steam train using the gear system from the emerald night train design while it runs fine on straight track it slows to stops around corners 

It was using the same xl motor design although I did tests with a pf train motor b it the same results (removed the Pistons etc) but no luck

Hoping to get some advice as this is my first moc train and I have a upcoming show this month and like it running along with my other trains (white bullet train and winter train)

Edited by Thunderwingds

An image tells more than 1000 words.. I can only guess: The axle distance between two flanged wheels may be to large. For large wheels (85489) 7 studs is the limit. And if you use three flanged wheels in a row, You can't negotiate any curves with mor than two flanged wheels. Use blind wheels instead.

Are there any other wheels on the engine? there are also a bunch of threads on here about the improvements to be made to the emerald night to get it running. 

You will also need to be sure the wheels are quartered and that you have a connecting rod on the wheels to ensure they are all in sync. 

4 hours ago, Giottist said:

You can't negotiate any curves with mor than two flanged wheels. Use blind wheels instead.

Yes, this is true.

But not entirely. Ben Beneke has taught us that you can have 3 axles with flanged drivers. You need to use a split center axle which is spring loaded. And in addition flex-tube driving rods:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=6602573

This is not appropriate for the EN - so I would go with the already mentioned blind wheels.

All the best
Thorsten

8 hours ago, Giottist said:

An image tells more than 1000 words.. I can only guess: The axle distance between two flanged wheels may be to large. For large wheels (85489) 7 studs is the limit. And if you use three flanged wheels in a row, You can't negotiate any curves with mor than two flanged wheels. Use blind wheels instead.

Will get a photo once it's reassembled I had used the newest Hogwarts Express set of wheels so it uses 4 and 2 blinds in the middle

6 hours ago, Redimus said:

Are you using none flanged wheels for the middle set of driving wheels?

Using the Hogwarts train for parts so using it's same layout (used emerald night instructions for the most part for gear system)

4 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

Are there any other wheels on the engine? there are also a bunch of threads on here about the improvements to be made to the emerald night to get it running. 

You will also need to be sure the wheels are quartered and that you have a connecting rod on the wheels to ensure they are all in sync. 

Uses the same layout as the emerald night aside from the back wheels use mini wheels the ones you can put on minifig cars

Edited by Thunderwingds

http://imgur.com/PJz8K7C

Here's a pic of the rebuild so far pushing it around the track so far its not slowing up around corners (although inclines are stopping it)

Maybe it is something to do with your pilot truck. Try taking that off and see if that improves things. Repeat for the rear axle. Another thing, having traction bands on two axles might cause a little extra resistance, but not enough that it would explain your problem. (that is kind of looking like an A4)

The image doesn't seem to exist....

Few things to check when building a steam engine.

As others have said, use two axles with flanged drivers and blind for the third. If you're using parts and instructions from Emerald Night and Hogwarts then I'm guessing this is not your problem.

Next thing is quartering. Make sure that the wheels on one side have the pins for the side rods at 12 o'clock while the other side of the engine has them at 3 o'clock (page 51 of the EN instructions). If you train runs fine on straights this most likely isn't your problem either.

Next is what I think is your problem because that same page 51 of the instructions tells you to do it wrong. Do not put the rubber bands on all flanged wheels like the instructions show. The wheels on one side of your engine need to slip going around corners and with 4 rubber bands they can't. Take the rubber bands off on one side of your engine.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!