Sign in to follow this  
KotZ

[WIP] Castle of Syndrifel

So I have (slowly) begun working on a castle, the Castle of Syndrifel. I started on the great hall and kitchen, because let's be honest, even minifigures get hungry. After building the great hall, I began to realize just how big this thing will be. I'm planning on building it in modular secutions due to the real estate it will take up. Do the colors look ok? Too much dark grey? Etc.

The first two photos are the great hall and kitchen, sans furniture for the most part. A minifigure is there for scale. The white arch there is also just a place holder, as are the transparent bricks behind the royal table.

img_2977.jpg
img_2978.jpg

Some furniture I've been working on. The far left might be counters, but I'm really not fans. The middle tan and black will probably be shelves and tables in the kitchen. Far right are 99% sure to be benches.
img_2979.jpg

Should I start building from the ground up? Right now I have ane idea of the walls. Ignore the white bricks, they're place holders, as are the full on dark gray. I'm thinking 12x12 for the towers, aside from the main gaates which might be 12x14 or something to give a bit more room. The center 4x4 will be filled in as well. I have six of those built, which are the amount of towers I plan on building.
img_2980.jpg

Try mixing in some tan and lighter (pastel) blue bricks here and there to represent odd colored stones. I would also recommend trying to add a round tower - even if it is puny - somewhere, just to break up the hard edges a bit (unless you're going full Scottish, since they really didn't do anything but square corners).

On 4/7/2019 at 11:17 PM, ProvenceTristram said:

Try mixing in some tan and lighter (pastel) blue bricks here and there to represent odd colored stones. I would also recommend trying to add a round tower - even if it is puny - somewhere, just to break up the hard edges a bit (unless you're going full Scottish, since they really didn't do anything but square corners).

I added some tan so far (I'll have an update tonight), and it's definitely looking better and not so grey. I might make a round tower inside the walls if I can find the real estate for it.

So some more building occured over the past few days. A bit more tan and sand green have been added, and the great hall is now say maybe halfway done.

img_2991.jpg
img_2992.jpg

Ignore that gaping hole, it's to save on bricks. I've been able to keep the supoort with the 2x6s. I accidentally made the walls 2 studs longer now, but oh well. M<ore rock work needs to be added, but the base is relatively secure.

img_2993.jpg
As you see, the floor fell in. I need to add some structural beams to make sure that doesn't happen during the rest of the build. I've added what will be the beginning of a tiny bridge to connect the great hall to the rest of the main keep. Below it will probably be rockwork and a footpath.

img_2994.jpg
Once again, ignore the hole. The wall will be connecting there, and it's to save on pieces.

Overall, I'm happy with the progress so far.

Somewhat big update today, got some good stuff done, see below.

img_3013.jpg
img_3014.jpg
As you can see, some more rockwork, and plants have been laid down. It's still a bit flat right now, but I think I'll adjust it when I get more pieces for this area. Still quite aways to go.

img_3015.jpg
Support beams have been put in! Sadly I didn;t get any photos of that part of the build. Set 11005 came real in handy with this build, providing a lot of support parts, and there's a bunch of green I haven't used yet for landscaping. The door is just there for placement, I think I'll do one of the more "wooden" Harry Potter/old castle doors for that. Between the two sections of 2x3 things will be a furnace.

img_3016.jpg
img_3017.jpg
Now let's get down to  the ground floor. You can see to the right some landscaping. In the center. In the center is the beginning of the other rockwork that will be scaled back on the next baseplate. Basically, the great hall will be the highest part (at least on rocks), and everything else will be a bit lower aside from towers. The tan is to be a path that will be formed.

You can't see it on the first picture, but there's a technic 2x1 to allow a technic pin. Basically, I'm going to measure up the next baseplate with the current one to know where I'll have the next section, like a modular.

img_3018.jpg
Here is most of the wall being built, along with the bridge to get from the great hall to the rest of the castle. Those brong round 1x1s will be logs for fire.

img_3019.jpg
Some tables for the guests to eat at. My only problem is the doors will have to open outwords, and there's only a space of two studs for people to walk, but oh well. Decorations will be added eventually.

img_3020.jpg
A completed view after the bridge has been connected. Ignore the AT-AP and the City vehicle in the background.

Thoughts so far?

Keep going, do you plan to build some battlements on the top of the walls?

2 hours ago, Witold said:

Keep going, do you plan to build some battlements on the top of the walls?

Absolutely. Just a lack of pieces at the moment. I'm hoping I can have this section completed, battlements, roof, and interior included, by the end of May, or mid-June at the latest.

11 hours ago, KotZ said:

Absolutely. Just a lack of pieces at the moment. I'm hoping I can have this section completed, battlements, roof, and interior included, by the end of May, or mid-June at the latest.

I know this issue very well :) I don't know if you will like this idea, but if you don't have enough arches to build the machicolations, you can use brown pieces to build hoarding (brown or black to simulate wooden).

On 5/1/2019 at 2:02 AM, Witold said:

I know this issue very well :) I don't know if you will like this idea, but if you don't have enough arches to build the machicolations, you can use brown pieces to build hoarding (brown or black to simulate wooden).

I'm about to make a Bricklink order for more parts,so I think I'll add some of those soon.

And just over a month later, an update. Man, PaB takes a long time to arrive. The following pictures had the build done maybe a few days ago, just got around to shooting and uploading. I do have a few spare parts left from my order, but those are stairs that will be used later and other parts I can't fit in yet. Anyway, onwards!

img_3049.jpg
Battlements have started to go up, although I'm starting to really hate the design. The interior facing merlins and crenels aren't bad for me though. It's just the front.

img_3050.jpg
The kitchen, for now. Still lots to do like adding an oven. more cutlery, etc.

img_3051.jpg
The great hall, more walls added.

img_3052.jpg
As you can see, the remaining part of the wall that would connect to the great hall and the next section has been mostly completed. Again, I hate the forward battlements. Windows have been framed.

img_3053.jpg
The other side. The clear bricks are there for placement. I need to get a better variety of colors from Bricklink for the windows. As you can see, some parts in various areas are missing for door hinges, etc.

After completing this portion thus far, I've realized I need to get more tan and nougat bricks, as well as get bricks to finish the fireplace. The walls need to finish being built up, probably three more bricks higher before the roof can start.

As mentioned earlier, my biggest issue is the battlements. Any ideas on how to make them less ugly? Thanks!

Edited by KotZ