This is the first proper Lego Space scene I have ever constructed.

spacescene01.jpg

The display is centred around Classic Space, but I've added some later items and parts (mostly acquired second-hand) for interest. I found most of the Classic Space items and figures at an exhibition more than a year ago, but it was Benny's Space Squad that proved the impetus for doing this scene. The background is from a Klutz 'Lego Make Your Own Movie' book/kit. The base plate was a dark grey clone brand (Wilco Blox) plate until I found two slightly worn classic 'moon' plates on sale for just £6 each in a small independent shop. I quickly snapped up both! 

What do you think? Any comments or questions welcome.

Edited by Bornin1980something

Very nice! Really spacy.

I like the mix of new and "old" (as in the real thing) themes. Cool.

Just(!) ideas: I would "fly" the (blue/grey) scooter in the back center as well, maybe into the other direction as the one on the left. And I would replace the dark grey 4x6 plate with a light grey or maybe a 1x4/2x6/1x4 set with some stuff on top - it may not look as a "hold two cool space base plates together" thing. May work or may not.

And I like the back scene very much. Blends in nicely.

All the best,
Thorsten      

Nice work, am planning something like this myself. 

Personally I’d turn the base plate on the right so the raised part isn’t separating the figures on either side, and maybe use some plates, slopes or quarter circle bricks to join the two base plates rather than the dark grey plate. Something like this:

NCS Intergalactic Command Base (see description)

Thanks for all the kind replies. I've never been one for large builds, and I have found I could do much more with the tiny space squad than with the 2014 ssS!

The scene is very much an evolving work in progress. The dark bley plate is intended as the foundation of a satellite launch pad. The Insectoids scooter is placed low (actually 'hovering' on hidden elements) to facilitate a greeting, establishing that my Zotaxians are friendly. I've turned the right baseplate 90° clockwise, opening up the central area. I had been trying to get the most original possible combination of the old baseplates, but the more open look is definitely better. More photos soon.

It's odd to think that, apart from a rocky hill piece, everything on this display was acquired in adulthood. Not that I wouldn't have wanted such items in childhood, but there was no way to find it second-hand back then. 

I have enough shelf space for one more baseplate. I'm thinking of buying an old landing pad. Do you think it would look better at the end, or in the centre?

Edited by Bornin1980something

Hmm, I think I’d have the landing pad plate to one side. That way you have two whole crater plates to make a continuous display for small vehicles and ships.

Do you find that the different Space styles (classic, Futuron, Space Police, etc) work together? I had been thinking of just using classic space sets to fit with Bennys spaceship and the space squad, but after seeing the various sets together, they don’t look too bad.

2 hours ago, Wonderpants said:

they don’t look too bad.

+1

And even more: When carefully assembled (which means: Not necessarily following TLGs output of sets tailored towards a) apparently todays mainstream and b) maximizing revenue) all the new sets, as they are 100% compatible with pieces from the old sets, this can be very appealing.

A space set of todays appearance can always be massaged into a set from the good ol'days. Provided you have the diverse bricks and plates at hand to do that.

All the best,
Thorsten  

On 4/11/2019 at 7:12 PM, Wonderpants said:

Hmm, I think I’d have the landing pad plate to one side. That way you have two whole crater plates to make a continuous display for small vehicles and ships.

Do you find that the different Space styles (classic, Futuron, Space Police, etc) work together? I had been thinking of just using classic space sets to fit with Bennys spaceship and the space squad, but after seeing the various sets together, they don’t look too bad.

The Futuron figures actually came mixed with classic space figures (and wearing old-style helmets) in a pack at the exhibition. I've since replaced one of the helmets with a new style one fitted with an Atlantis visor. Inauthentic, I know, but suits the classic space look. I think the Futuron and Space Police 1 are 100% compatible with classic space. They even use the same logo. I explained my desire to add Insectoids in this thread: Basically, I felt my space explorers needed some friendly extraterrestrials to interact with. The crashed UFO is supposedly an archaeological find, made with just two UFO range elements found in the small Lego store.

I haven't yet tried including any spacemen from the early to mid 90s factions. That would be possible, though, especially in a spaceport scene. You might give different factions different areas of expertise. You could even add Star Wars characters. There is even a theory that Star Wars and Star Trek take place in the same universe, millennia apart. You could even go the full 'Lego Movie' route, mixing blatantly incompatible themes.

In my particular scene, all characters wear full space suits, as it takes place in a vacuum. For instance, this means not adding Buzz Lightyear, even in a cameo, unless I can find a way to recreate his bubble helmet.

I haven't acquired the third plate yet, but here's my picture of the latest two plate scene.

spacescene02.jpg

Well, sorry about the lack of updates. As you might have just seen in another thread, the scene is now expanded, and the background has been replaced by a larger one from Bakku Backgrounds. How does it look now?

spacescene06.jpg

@Bornin1980something It looks great. Enough to fire the imagination.

The background I think could use some depth and more detail. It's very plain as it is. I prefer the older one.

I’m looking forward to this expanding more. I want to get 4 of those old moon plates and make a base in the middle of a crater