Servertijd

[moc] Hadrians Wall

Hi all,

I have made a part of one of Hadrians forts, I have searched for several images on the internet about how it should have looked like. I don't know how accurate it really is.

47481938982_e1b1a5b3c6_b.jpgHadrians wall main by jesse van den Oetelaar, on Flickr

32592268967_bc4f2e8344_b.jpgHadrians wall right by jesse van den Oetelaar, on Flickr

32592269277_ebe52809d1_b.jpgHadrians wall front by jesse van den Oetelaar, on Flickr

Thank you :)

Edited by Servertijd

Very nice wall section.  Simple but just enough texture.  I like the wooden buildings on the interior of the wall.  Nice use of the plates on the ground.  Great looking figs too.  

I like the structures inside the wall quite a bit.  Agreed on the texturing in general, and specifically the few outward studs add another nice element and none of it feels overdone.  Nice build!  :classic:

10 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Very nice wall section.  Simple but just enough texture.  I like the wooden buildings on the interior of the wall.  Nice use of the plates on the ground.  Great looking figs too.  

Thank you mate!

4 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

I love fleshie Roman soldiers. They look amazing.

4 hours ago, Sigolf Brimabane said:

Very tasteful texturing. I like it. :) The soldiers look good as well.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, deraven said:

I like the structures inside the wall quite a bit.  Agreed on the texturing in general, and specifically the few outward studs add another nice element and none of it feels overdone.  Nice build!  :classic:

1 hour ago, sander1992 said:

Another stunning build from you, @Servertijd. :thumbup:

Thanks Sander:classic:

Wow, that's so nice! I like the simple interior and the sturdiness of the tower.

I recently ran into a really solid blog serie about Hadrian's Wall on a miniature wargaming blog, but alas, I cannot find the link now. There was a huge amount of info, photos and in-scale stuff, basically what you need but only in resin instead of abs.

edit: got it! http://www.longrangelogistics.com/2010/06/18/progress-report-new-15mm-scale-hadrians-wall-range-gateways/

Edited by Aine

I don't know about accuracy either, but this part of the wall looks very clean and neat. I guess this is how it looked after being built and not after years of exposure to weather and nature. I like the fact that the cabin on the right side is ''open'' to allow a peak inside. The texture is nice but could be improved. Perhaps you could add a few more tiles or jumpers to add more distress to the areas with masonry brick, and to make it look less blocky. Another criticism would be the corner of the right building which is actually positioned on the the MOC's black border. I really like the clean look of the black border, and would simply prefer the building to be pushed back for one stud to leave the edge clean. But that's nit-picking. Well done. 

1 hour ago, Megamech said:

Did you custom make flesh roman soldiers?

They are Baturion legs, see his other thread for a better look at the soldiers.

Great build! The texture on the wall is nice (I'm assuming the mason bricks are supposed to represent exposed bricks), and the small office is simple but effective. Two nitpicks though: one, the slopes creating the arrow loops/slits are backwards, as the alcove should widen when going further in; two, by the time of Hardrian's wall, lorica segmentata was more prevalent- now, if they're auxiliaries (such as the archer on the wall), then I suppose it would make sense, and I appreciate the use of the Kingdoms mail armor torso.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:17 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Simply wonderful ...with this diorama you can feel the atmosphere of the centuries! :wub:

thank you very much!

On 4/9/2019 at 9:42 PM, Redhead1982 said:

I don't know about accuracy either, but this part of the wall looks very clean and neat. I guess this is how it looked after being built and not after years of exposure to weather and nature. I like the fact that the cabin on the right side is ''open'' to allow a peak inside. The texture is nice but could be improved. Perhaps you could add a few more tiles or jumpers to add more distress to the areas with masonry brick, and to make it look less blocky. Another criticism would be the corner of the right building which is actually positioned on the the MOC's black border. I really like the clean look of the black border, and would simply prefer the building to be pushed back for one stud to leave the edge clean. But that's nit-picking. Well done. 

Thanks! Yes this is meant to be at the beginning of Hadrians Wall. About the corner on the right building, it wasn´t really planned hehe, but I needed more sturdiness, so that was my simple solution :P

On 4/10/2019 at 10:14 AM, Megamech said:

Did you custom make flesh roman soldiers?

I see MAB already asnwered your question.

11 hours ago, CommanderJonny1 said:

Great build! The texture on the wall is nice (I'm assuming the mason bricks are supposed to represent exposed bricks), and the small office is simple but effective. Two nitpicks though: one, the slopes creating the arrow loops/slits are backwards, as the alcove should widen when going further in; two, by the time of Hardrian's wall, lorica segmentata was more prevalent- now, if they're auxiliaries (such as the archer on the wall), then I suppose it would make sense, and I appreciate the use of the Kingdoms mail armor torso.

Thanks for the feedback! I am not sure if I understand your first point for 100%, do you mean the alcoves at the entrance? If so, point taken :), about the original lorica segmentata, they are a small fortune lol, so I decided to use the kingdoms mail armor instead. The soldiers on the wall are indeed auxiliaries, at first I wanted to make them green, but I didn't find proper legs in flesh colours.(apart from the legs I used, Baturion legs) So decided to give them the rohan soldier torso. They work pretty well.

15 hours ago, Servertijd said:

I am not sure if I understand your first point for 100%, do you mean the alcoves at the entrance? If so, point taken :), about the original lorica segmentata, they are a small fortune lol, so I decided to use the kingdoms mail armor instead. The soldiers on the wall are indeed auxiliaries, at first I wanted to make them green, but I didn't find proper legs in flesh colours.(apart from the legs I used, Baturion legs) So decided to give them the rohan soldier torso. They work pretty well.

Ah, ok. With the arrow slits (to be a bit more clear), I meant the 'windows' on the front and back that use the 1x2 slopes for the angled sides- the outside should be flush with the rest of the wall; there's plenty of examples (albeit more from medieval castles) on google. I feel your pain on Lego's Roman soldiers, but for something like this, mail is still a great choice (and thankfully much more abundant). Are you going to do a Roman cavalryman? Either an Equites or some kind of auxiliary would be interesting; I made one, though it could be a bit better with more resources.

On 4/12/2019 at 2:59 AM, CommanderJonny1 said:

Ah, ok. With the arrow slits (to be a bit more clear), I meant the 'windows' on the front and back that use the 1x2 slopes for the angled sides- the outside should be flush with the rest of the wall; there's plenty of examples (albeit more from medieval castles) on google. I feel your pain on Lego's Roman soldiers, but for something like this, mail is still a great choice (and thankfully much more abundant). Are you going to do a Roman cavalryman? Either an Equites or some kind of auxiliary would be interesting; I made one, though it could be a bit better with more resources.

Ah! Well I had the windows flushed with the walls at first, but I didn't like it, you almost didn't see the windows with the slopes turned around. So that's mainly why they are like this. It may be inaccurate by history meassures yes. I agree :) but the windows add so much more, angled this way hehe. 

I am not sure if I'm going to do a cavalry, I am going to do more builds with the romans though.

57 minutes ago, CedBricks said:

Fantastic work! And great idea, Antiquity hasn't been depicted in Lego very often, good job!

Thank you!

On 4/13/2019 at 4:31 AM, Servertijd said:

Ah! Well I had the windows flushed with the walls at first, but I didn't like it, you almost didn't see the windows with the slopes turned around. So that's mainly why they are like this. It may be inaccurate by history meassures yes. I agree :) but the windows add so much more, angled this way hehe. 

I am not sure if I'm going to do a cavalry, I am going to do more builds with the romans though.

I will admit, it is a nice piece of architectural flavor. I also put some rough pictures of my cavalryman on my Flickr (if you want a simple example). Anyways, keep up the good work! :classic:

On 4/16/2019 at 1:15 AM, CommanderJonny1 said:

I will admit, it is a nice piece of architectural flavor. I also put some rough pictures of my cavalryman on my Flickr (if you want a simple example). Anyways, keep up the good work! :classic:

I'd also love to see those cavalrymen!