WhiteFang

REVIEW: 71024 LEGO Minifigures - The LEGO Disney Series 2

71024 LEGO MINIFIGURES - LEGO DISNEY SERIES 2  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire LEGO Disney 2 Series?

2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Do you like the distribution allocation number based on the designs for LEGO Disney Series 2?

• 1 - Yes, I love it
    • 2 - Neutral and it made no difference to me
    • 3 - No, I hate it
  4. 4. Will you like to see traditional LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series?

• 1 - Yes, I prefer the traditional LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series
    • 2 - No, I prefer licensed LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series
    • 3 - No, I prefer singular theme on LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

The thing is about the Collectable Minifigure theme as a whole, is that it's best suited for subject matters, franchises, archetypes, and characters that would otherwise not be viable within a playtheme and/or set. On the other hand, with something like Ninjago (outside of the cinematic movie), any potential entries to such a Series could easily be slotted into a set within the actual theme instead, as Lego has total creative freedom to accommodate any Ninjago character or creation into such. 

Ah okay, but you could have said the same about all of the Lego Movie series. Also there's tons of non-licensed characters that never got made into minifigures

5 minutes ago, Thedarkmaster2 said:

Ah okay, but you could have said the same about all of the Lego Movie series. 

Well, where I think those are an exception is in the lifespan of the tie-in theme for each movie. For Lego, each cinematic entry is kind of a historical event for the company, though they can only put out so many tie-in sets within the short time frame the movie is most relevant. At least a single tie-in CMS for each movie can help make up for any characters and/or variants the film's tie-in sets can't include, as Lego can't be certain that any of their cinematic movies will end up becoming Frozen-style box office successes that could possibly ensure the output of tie-in sets for years on end.

14 minutes ago, Thedarkmaster2 said:

Also there's tons of non-licensed characters that never got made into minifigures

For extinct/discontinued non-licensed themes, that is? :shrug_confused:

41 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, where I think those are an exception is in the lifespan of the tie-in theme for each movie. For Lego, each cinematic entry is kind of a historical event for the company, though they can only put out so many tie-in sets within the short time frame the movie is most relevant. At least a single tie-in CMS for each movie can help make up for any characters and/or variants the film's tie-in sets can't include, as Lego can't be certain that any of their cinematic movies will end up becoming Frozen-style box office successes that could possibly ensure the output of tie-in sets for years on end.

I was gonna say, the LEGO Movie CMFs depict the major characters in costume variants that they wore only briefly, or else minor one-off characters that appeared similarly briefly. We weren't going to get a "Lord Business's Reception Area" set for the Velma Staplebot figure, but she still has a unique look that makes her potentially fun to have as a supplemental figure for other sets taking place in Lord Business's skyscraper.

I would absolutely love it if we got an evergreen Disney Animated Canon theme with sets from a wide variety of movies. The Disney CMFs could then focus on characters that are individually very recognizable, but come from movies that are not popular or well-remembered enough to get their own sets.

2 minutes ago, Karalora said:

I would absolutely love it if we got an evergreen Disney Animated Canon theme with sets from a wide variety of movies. The Disney CMFs could then focus on characters that are individually very recognizable, but come from movies that are not popular or well-remembered enough to get their own sets.

We kinda do have such a theme currently with the minidoll-based Disney Princess line since it was rebranded just Disney starting back in 2017, as I feel like that should've set a precedent for such from then on. I mean, was there any other particular reason they'd done such that would suggest a different motivation? :shrug_confused:

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

We kinda do have such a theme currently with the minidoll-based Disney Princess line since it was rebranded just Disney starting back in 2017, as I feel like that should've set a precedent for such from then on. I mean, was there any other particular reason they'd done such that would suggest a different motivation? :shrug_confused:

Including Frozen and Moana despite their leads not having been officially included in the Disney Princess brand, because they're still super-popular with girls. It's still conceptually the Princess line.

My ideal Disney line would a) be minifigure-based, and b) include more than just Princess movies. Where's my Pinocchio? Where's my Pooh Bear? Where's my Robin Hood?

(Actually, my ideal Disney line would revolve around the theme parks, but I recognize the sharply limited crossover fandom there.)

4 minutes ago, Karalora said:

Including Frozen and Moana despite their leads not having been officially included in the Disney Princess brand, because they're still super-popular with girls. It's still conceptually the Princess line.

I suppose so, though in the case of Frozen, Lego had included several sets based upon the film while still under the less-inclusive Disney Princess umbrella. Maybe that all had to change rather for inclusion of Moana?

Just now, Thedarkmaster2 said:

sadly yes

Well, that's just how it goes with almost every story-driven/character-driven playtheme, be it licensed or non-licensed. Just think of all the characters that even the Disney CMS subtheme may not cover throughout its indeterminate lifespan (if we are to presume Disney has a life beyond two Series, as no CMS subtheme beyond the original has cracked that two Series ceiling yet).

1 minute ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I suppose so, though in the case of Frozen, Lego had included several sets based upon the film while still under the less-inclusive Disney Princess umbrella. Maybe that all had to change rather for inclusion of Moana?

It's possible that the Disney Princess Frozen sets were released because they were operating under the assumption that Anna and Elsa would officially join Princess. That never happened because Frozen continued to be such a valuable brand on its own.

20 minutes ago, Karalora said:

It's possible that the Disney Princess Frozen sets were released because they were operating under the assumption that Anna and Elsa would officially join Princess. That never happened because Frozen continued to be such a valuable brand on its own.

True, though they've never given separate, distinct branding to any of the Frozen sets yet in spite of its distinction as such. Perhaps that could change with its sequel later this year? :def_shrug:

3 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

True, though they've never given separate, distinct branding to any of the Frozen sets yet in spite of its distinction as such. Perhaps that could change with its sequel later this year? :def_shrug:

I was speaking more about how Frozen merch is marketed generally, not the LEGO sets in particular.

It might help to think about branding hierarchies. Any toy is branded, and if the umbrella is sufficiently large, there are sub-brands. With general Disney merch like dolls, Disney is the main brand and the sub-brand is Frozen or Princess or whatever. But you don't tend to get sub-sub-brands. All Princess merch is created equal, more-or-less. Ariel doesn't have her own logo.

With Disney LEGO sets, on the other hand, LEGO is the main brand. In a big-box store with a toy department, the Disney LEGO sets are shelved alongside other LEGO sets, not alongside other Disney merch. But that means they have to be careful about how they sub-divide the Disney sets so TLC doesn't have to purchase too many separate licenses from Disney. Marvel and Star Wars work fine on their own, and in any case they were well established long before Disney got its big white gloves on them. But Frozen's appeal is really inseparable from the appeal of animated Princess fairytales in general, so they might as well consolidate.

1 minute ago, Karalora said:

I was speaking more about how Frozen merch is marketed generally, not the LEGO sets in particular.

It might help to think about branding hierarchies. Any toy is branded, and if the umbrella is sufficiently large, there are sub-brands. With general Disney merch like dolls, Disney is the main brand and the sub-brand is Frozen or Princess or whatever. But you don't tend to get sub-sub-brands. All Princess merch is created equal, more-or-less. Ariel doesn't have her own logo.

With Disney LEGO sets, on the other hand, LEGO is the main brand. In a big-box store with a toy department, the Disney LEGO sets are shelved alongside other LEGO sets, not alongside other Disney merch. But that means they have to be careful about how they sub-divide the Disney sets so TLC doesn't have to purchase too many separate licenses from Disney. Marvel and Star Wars work fine on their own, and in any case they were well established long before Disney got its big white gloves on them. But Frozen's appeal is really inseparable from the appeal of animated Princess fairytales in general, so they might as well consolidate.

And I hope it stays consolidated as such, as there've been a couple themes this year that have unfortunately broken up their branding towards the route of respective character/sub-franchise branding instead. :sad:

At this point I feel I should disclaim that I've never so much as taken a Marketing class; this is all based on my personal observations and what little I do know about Disney's internal decision-making processes.

Awesome review, as usual. So thanks for that.

Have been a "completionist" since Series 1 (just missing the regional soccer team series) and have always enjoyed your reviews. So continue with the great work :)

Only comment I might add...I wish LEGO would return to more unlicensed series. Can understand from a marketing point of view why they do what they do but would like a more traditional set of CMFs. Also, dislike the new packaging (more waste).

Thanks for the great review. The characters are certainly very interesting!

These minifigure series reviews in general are very useful for people who want to have an in depth look at what's available each time. However, for these Disney series in particular, I don't feel any attraction. It depends on your own childhood memories I suppose. I have no nostalgia associated with these characters.

Thanks for the detailed review! I studied your post for 30 minutes, it was interesting :)

Another great review and set of pictures! Thank you, @WhiteFang . Like I always say, a minifigure series ain’t a minifigure series until Fangy has reviewed it.

A question if I may: Does the ‘fancy’ beard piece, i.e. the Ninjago one pictured below, fit on Jafar? Or do the pauldrons or headdress get in the way?

IMG_2849.JPG?v=1499291235

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments. It was very enjoyable to know that you find this review useful and to know that this new series appeal to most of you. 

2 hours ago, AmperZand said:

Another great review and set of pictures! Thank you, @WhiteFang . Like I always say, a minifigure series ain’t a minifigure series until Fangy has reviewed it.

A question if I may: Does the ‘fancy’ beard piece, i.e. the Ninjago one pictured below, fit on Jafar? Or do the pauldrons or headdress get in the way?

Thanks AmperZand for your kind words. Nope, it does not get into the way and I hope this new image could help. 

32700767137_e441240083_o_d.jpg

26 minutes ago, WhiteFang said:

Nope, it does not get into the way and I hope this new image could help. 

That does help. Thank you again. You’re a star!

Edited by AmperZand

On 4/7/2019 at 12:23 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

The main reason that occurs to me is that Moana followed in Frozen's footsteps by not being licensed, marketed, or branded as part of the Disney Princess IP. Since the change of branding for Disney sets, LEGO has also introduced the "Tangled: The Series" subtheme, which is likewise separate from the Disney Princess brand, even though Rapunzel herself is a part of the roster of Disney Princesses. However, in general, most non-CMF, non-D2C, non-Ideas sets based on older Disney Animated Canon IPs have remained limited to the Disney Princess subtheme.

I just bought all of them in Lego Store Paris Les Halles...

The whole set is a bit disappointing. I expected to find characters from Beauty and the Beast, the Lion King or many famous characters such as Mulan, Pocahontas, Sleeping Beauty and the 3 fairies, Lilo & Stitch, and so on. Nevertheless, I'm just amazed by Anna's cape such as Hercules and Hades. 

Can't wait to see what Series 3 on sale!