True :cry_sad: 

Spike-wheels.png

Not only this, as seen elsewhere there are arc gears which are not among the part list (see the video in the previous post close to the end. It seems we are observing an expansion set.

Edited by Samer

With this new wheels I predict that we will be seeing a lot more of new cool (maybe futuristic) motorcycle mocs.

7 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The new ball joint doesnt look like it allows an axle to go through though.

Oh now that is absolutely rage-inducing :damn: Another kick in the head for rigid solid axle suspension. Last set with a ball joint came out in 2015, which is WAY too long ago.

According to the part list, the white ball inside the ball joint frame is a separate part, which means the ball joint frame can be coupled with the old inner ball joint.

Looks like those new low-friction wheels with the black inner beam thingies and cyan-colored tire, which are on the parts list, btw, come as an assembly that cannot be disassembled? 

Of more concern, for me at least, is what am I going to do with my profile photo if PF is no more *huh*

Edited by JGW3000

Any idea which parts number can be seen here?
screenshot_201.png

70266? 70288? Or maybe something entirely different? Or I have found proper number, but it is not listed on Bricks and pieces yet?

Yeah, all these new parts … exciting! I do share this notion.

In addition (and for me personally that is much more than that) there are all these new programming features. There are so many things going on in TrainTech, Mindstorms ... with regard to automation, remote control, etc. pp. BL, BLE, Linux, Windows, Pi's, Arduinos, Python, Node.Js, Java, whatnot …

This is so cool.

All the best,
Thorsten        

On 4/3/2019 at 2:26 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

According to the part list, the white ball inside the ball joint frame is a separate part, which means the ball joint frame can be coupled with the old inner ball joint.

Probably, but there is no way to pass an axle through like you can with the old ball joint frames. I think this piece is really meant as a kind of omnidirectional support wheel.

36 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Edited by Doug72

1 hour ago, aeh5040 said:

It looks like only pre-order to me.

:laugh:

Yes, my apologies, I actually just meant “it’s available to see”, as we were all trying to get a look at the product. :)

As in the LEGO site these builds target early teenage students. It comes to mind that the colors we see are somehow more appealing to girls. How did TLG think about that when they chose the colors, especially that mechanics and robotics have larger male audience? Is it they would like to involve more girls interest? Is this the LEGO friends of Mindstorms?

Just raw thoughts...

1 hour ago, Samer said:

As in the LEGO site these builds target early teenage students. It comes to mind that the colors we see are somehow more appealing to girls. How did TLG think about that when they chose the colors, especially that mechanics and robotics have larger male audience? Is it they would like to involve more girls interest? Is this the LEGO friends of Mindstorms?

Just raw thoughts...

I don't agree that the colors are _girly_ per se, but I agree that the color choice is part of a wider swing towards a more inclusive STEM education. By choosing neutral colors that offend neither group (EV3's red/gray/white/black colors are definitely more male orientated, and red and black are known for evoking strong feelings) they're hoping to get more girls into programming and robotics.

Personally, I actually love the color choice. :) EV3's color scheme made me think a Razer gaming pc had thrown up all over my Lego collection.

1 hour ago, Samer said:

As in the LEGO site these builds target early teenage students. It comes to mind that the colors we see are somehow more appealing to girls. How did TLG think about that when they chose the colors, especially that mechanics and robotics have larger male audience?

Well, another perspective to look at this from is "why do mechanics and robotics have a larger male audience?" After all, it's not as though there would be any rationale for a taste for or skill with robotics being biologically intrinsic to any gender — robotics as a field isn't even old enough to have shaped human evolution to that kind of extent.

What's more, in the grand scheme of human history, it wasn't all that long ago that coding and computer science were female-dominated professions. There are all kinds of reasons for this, but most were just as culturally informed back then as they are now — for example, for the first half of the 20th century, calculating and computing were perceived as tedious and low-prestige "women's work" not unlike the duties of a receptionist, and as such were not particularly enticing to men who had access to much better paying and more highly regarded careers. What's more, a lot of the actual skills required in early days of computing were not that unlike other skills thought of as "women's work", like weaving.

This article (and many others like it) make a compelling case that as the field of computer science became more valued by society, men began flocking to it, and from there, more or less reshaping it in their image. Nowadays there is a very different "culture" within these fields (whether in schools, in the workplace, or among consumer products) that can often be alienating if not outright hostile to women.

A lot of the work to make these fields enticing to girls during childhood is aimed at undoing these various forms of "gatekeeping" by promoting technical skills in less implicitly gendered terms, restoring greater visibility to women's achievements in computer science fields both historically and in the present day, and of course fighting back against exclusionary forces in the workplace that presently make many tech businesses a fraught career path even for those women who HAVE achieved the requisite skills and credentials to meet the job requirements as well as any of their male peers.