Nachapon Lego

Floating Lego display !!

Look! A floating buzz lightyear! 

Got this idea in mind for years but too lazy. Finally try to make one today. This make Lego display looks more exciting. Let's guess how to do this :wink:

RAW video Full HD 1080p no edit

Spoiler

A fishing wire? No, even the smallest fishing wire, it is impossible to hide or prevent it to be seen its reflection to lights. when --- using good camera / recording at Full HD 1080p / orbit camera panning multi angles / very close distance / pause and step play the video. :grin:

Edited by bbqqq

17 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Magical fishing wire? 

Even the smallest fishing wire, it is impossible to hide or prevent it to be seen its reflection to lights. When --- using good camera / recording at Full HD 1080p / orbit camera panning multi angles / very close distance / pause and step play the video. :wink:

It's obvious how this was done, if you look closely at the video you can see Buzz is equipped with a rocket pack and wings and that's how he flies :wink:

7 minutes ago, ukbajadave said:

It's obvious how this was done, if you look closely at the video you can see Buzz is equipped with a rocket pack and wings and that's how he flies :wink:

You mean...how he falls with style? :wink:

2 hours ago, bbqqq said:

impossible to hide

alle early Stars Wars and Star Trek movies were made with matted black fish wire
Space ship models were hanging on it and moved around with it.
I bet you never noticed :-) :-)

1 hour ago, coinoperator said:

alle early Stars Wars and Star Trek movies were made with matted black fish wire
Space ship models were hanging on it and moved around with it.
I bet you never noticed :-) :-)

Maybe I should say "very difficult to hide", but space scene background always dark or black so it is easy to hide matted black fish wire.

-Black wire will show up with bright background.

-White wire will show up with dark background.

-Transparent wire will reflect light and show up if move camera too much around it.

Edited by bbqqq

I don't see your reflection in the police station's windows, so knowing what you usually get up to, I expect this is some very high-effort rendering?

Ok, let's reveal this mystery. It's magician's invisible thread do the levitation magic. I borrow it from my son. He is an amateur magician. Of cause the invisible thread just almost invisible, but it is very difficult to be seen even with the naked eyes. The thread still show up at 00:48 seconds in my video. Can you find it? Please let me know. :wink:

For example, the magic gimmick trailer below using the same kind of thread.  I think it named "Turantula" to represent that the wire is as thin as spider silk. There is another similar magic gimmick named "spider pen pro". :sweet:

Edited by bbqqq

Ha so I wasn't far off with magical fishing wire....  Its just called spider wire not magic fishing wire lol!  Good "gimmick" can this be bought at any magic shop?  How expensive is it and what weight can it hold? Did you just "clamp" it between one of the Lego joints? 

11 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Ha so I wasn't far off with magical fishing wire....  Its just called spider wire not magic fishing wire lol!  Good "gimmick" can this be bought at any magic shop?  How expensive is it and what weight can it hold? Did you just "clamp" it between one of the Lego joints? 

The cheapest (under 1 USD) way to get one is search keyword "loop magic" in AliExpress, then sort  by lowest price. There are many grade of the wire. Basically the more it is invisible, then less weight it can carry. But you can use more wire to hold more weight.

loop magiclego floating brick

The wire setup, simply fixed by 1x2 tile and plate, then use Buzz's jetpack to hook the wire. ^

The reflection of the wire show up here from 00:48 second until the end of the video clip.   v

lego floating brick 2

Edited by bbqqq

This will be useful to make ghosts fly ! Is the string strong enough to loop on a pulley to get some motion out of the minifig? 

4 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

This will be useful to make ghosts fly ! Is the string strong enough to loop on a pulley to get some motion out of the minifig? 

Good idea! It is strong enough as it can make ghosts fly a metal ring. I will try to use NXT or Lego Boost to program and make ghosts fly some bricks.