Lasse D

GBC module: Ring with deer scarer

Update from 2019

I have made a new and stable version of the GBC module for which there are building instructions:

The new module has a latch and lifting counterweight mechanism to make the tipper function reliable.

The building instructions can be found here: https://brickhub.org/i/425

The tipper fills up:

091_full1.jpg

The counter weight lifts until the latch comes undone and the tipper tips:

091_full2.jpg

And empties:

091_full3.jpg

Closeup of the latch mechanism, which doubles as a stop mechanism for balls, so they do not fall onto the tipping tipper:

092_action4.jpg

The module can be placed in self-feeding mode, just like the old module from 2008:

092_action7.jpg

And circuit mode:

095_outbox2.jpg

In the back side there are skirts to catch potential escapees:

094_action3.jpg

Rendering of the model from the building instructions:

99_rendered.png

See the brickshelf folder for "action shots" where series of pictures are taken in succession to show the functions: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=315097

The initial content below this line

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been a long time since I have presented a new MOC in here. I have been busy preparing for Klodsfest 2008 in Taastrup.

Here is my contribution to the GBC-layout.

overview.jpg

(Those space ships are made by Sir Bugge from Classic Space forum - the red Z-fighter is new and contains some superb building- and SNOT techniques. The white tower is also a GBC module and the builder brought enough extra modules to complete a circuit)

The big ring lifts the balls up and it's random whether they fall through the first or last hole. The first leads directly to the glass tower while the last guides the balls into the deer scarer (Shishi odoshi in Japanese).

shishiodoshi.jpg

I don't have a video camera, but I was able to make this little movie using my regular camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ00fXpgQOs

The module has a self-feeding mechanism so it can work alone and is remarkably reliable. Anyone who has seen my previous modules would be surprised. If the wheel gets blocked, the big PF motor will try to budge it free. It drops a ball now and then - that is my trademark :tongue:

Edited by Lasse D
New version with building instructions added

That´s pretty amazing and it looks just like something straight from a S.F. movie too.... you should try to recycle this into some

kind of Space MOC after the event.... :sweet:

How did you do that?

One day of planning, two days to build the wheel (it has to be tightened over a longer span of time and it wasn't obvious how to build the buckets), a day to build the rest and a week for fine tuning and calibrating.

It took quite some time to work out most of the ways it can jam and throw balls away. I think it has reached an acceptable compromise now.

>Asuka

The others will kill me if I introduced yet another space theme. :tongue: I will rebuild this module and build as many modules as possible until the next LEGO Fan Weekend in Skærbæk. There was a great display last year and I'm sure it can be even better if the Bellug people show up again.

By that time I should also consider getting a video camera...

Edit

Here is how it got connected to the other modules:

img_5802.jpg

Edited by Lasse D

Thats a great GBC module I really like the colour scheme :thumbup:

Lets hope you get a video camera soon I would like to see some more film of this :tongue:

This is an excellent concept, and it's great to see it in action in the video.

I'm not sure how it's supposed to scare deer though. :wacko:

This is an excellent concept, and it's great to see it in action in the video.

I'm not sure how it's supposed to scare deer though. :wacko:

I really like this build too.

I think the deer will run away when it's turned on. Must be quite noisy when running, with all the balls jumping around.

Front

Wow that wheel is huge. I love gbc modules and don't see them on here often enough. I want to have a go at building some myself sometime. does anyone know of any site that show you how to actually build some of these so i get some ideas to start with. i have bought about 50 footballs ready but want to follow some instructions for the first time as my building skills are very rusty at the moment.

There is a great site for GBC references where you will find this page:

http://www.philohome.com/gbc/gbc.htm

The Shovel module has building instructions for a good introduction to the "theme". I have not built this module, but I know a guy who has, and it works well.

The new version of the GBC module underwent some serious testing and a lot of modifications for being reliable (see the final model and instructions in the first post)

These videos show the progression and testing:

Yeah. Friendly chap. I discussed the module with him on facebook where he initially had some issues getting it to be reliable. He has found that the GBC balls from PV Productions do not work in this module due to the fine balancing of the ball catch above the tipper. I can only recommend to use balls or marbles with the same dimension as official LEGO elements.

@Lasse D Great module!  I have built one and it runs ok, but The tipper has issues with returning to the upright position. 

Thank you for putting this one out there to build!

Thanks. The tipper can be balanced by adding and removing 1x2 plates on the counterweight. I have to rebalance it in the beginning of every event that I attend. Once in balance it works really well.

I've built this GBC module and it recently debuted at our Brickish Weekend event at the National Space Centre in Leicester, UK.  I've had to change the dark green parts to black due to parts availability as well as use the current moulds for the transparent panels.

This is Huw's video of Sunday's layout, the module is halfway round:

The mechanism worked ok for the most part, main issue I had was that when the tipper emptied the balls they sometimes would come out at a slight angle and get jammed against the two moveable doors which are used for circuit mode.  This prevented the tipper from returning to the upright position.  I need to widen the exit chute to make it more forgiving.  There was also the issue of balls collecting around the bottom of the wheel so I need to put in some cheese slopes or similar in to nudge them a bit but without the risk of the wheel getting jammed.

For a first event it ran very reliably.

Edited by carbon60
Getting YouTube video to show