Very cool project! can't wait too see more.

But why don't use the disk brakes fro the 42083? it looks much more cooler!

I realize your car is not finished yet, but right now the roof and all behind it is pure mess!

Edited by Yevhen

On 5/15/2019 at 4:13 PM, SamuelYsc said:

Very cool project! can't wait too see more.

But why don't use the disk brakes fro the 42083? it looks much more cooler!

Thanks I looked at using those but they only fit nicely with the 42083 wheels and I prefer the looks of the 42056 wheels I may look at some thing cosmetic in the future after I fix everything else.

23 hours ago, Yevhen said:

I realize your car is not finished yet, but right now the roof and all behind it is pure mess!

As I said in my post that is what I'm now working on at the moment. However, I can't guarantee that it won't still be a mess I'm just not good the styling *huh* the front was more luck than judgment

I have been working on the rear of the car and now have version 3.0 in a reasonable place

320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg

The rear is probably not exactly how I like it but it is also removable to get the battery pack out without having to remove the whole rear body work.

320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg

Here are some comparison shots with the Chiron to give a bit of scale.

320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg

There are more pictures on the bricksafe page. super-car-mrk-3

I think i'm going to make a digital version of this to have a reference to work from, then move on to 3.1 so far on that to do list are;

• Improved suspension (current wight compresses the springs a lot so there is not much difference from the normal and sports settings.
  • Strengthen all the functions they work but are fragile also hoping the new inline clutch can help me protect the motors a bit better than the toothed clutch.
  • Enlarge the cabin space and stiffen the middle of the car.
  • Extend the roof (maybe) make the roof car align better with the back of the car
  • Change the drive train. (currently I have added an additional differential behind the front steering but I think I would like to incorporate @jb70 design for the Chiron and move the diff inside the gear box)
  • If that works should free up space for a resign of the front mechanics

I plan to show you some of the digital parts to demonstrate some of the internal mechanics that you cant see in the photos to well. Please feel free to tell me which other rubbish bits need looking at :grin:

Edited by Cardboy
fixed some links

On 4/10/2019 at 12:03 AM, suffocation said:

Don't underestimate the power of M motors

I know i'm WAAAYYY too late to the party but..

0iLBdx6l.jpg

So I I now have a digital version here are some renders.

320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg

Annoyingly Stud.io cant flex soft axles or rubber bands yet can I import these elements from another program? I find Stud.io the best to build in so don't really want to start from scratch.

Also as real Lego has a bit of flex, the digital model has some problems with the windscreen and the rear wheel arches. What do people prefer Lego that is a bit under stress or redesign of those areas?

From the model info from Stud.io;

Parts 3481
Weight 2.9KG (would like to make this lighter)
Dimensions (cm) 29.6 X 57.6 X 16.3
and only about $700 (cheap :rofl:)

Edited by Cardboy

Stud.io can export to ldraw file format (.ldr / .mpd / .dat).

See the chapter named 'Import/export' here: https://rebrickable.com/help/guide-to-stud-io/

The above file extentions can be opned in LDCAD which along with the LDRAW tools such as LDSYNTH can flex parts but it's not easy.

I'd love to see instructions or a ldr file, I think I can reduce the weight a lot and wanna build this baby too.

It would be cool to have the doors and any other functions that use the old air shocks re-done using linear actuators and motors because the rest of the model is already RC/motorized.

Edited by SNIPE

SNIPE is right!  Or LDCAD can flex those axles a little easier, (relatively speaking). It will take some patience and practice. Then, the POV ray renderer in Stud.io will do those flex axles justice.

CARDBOY your body building is awesome. Yeah.

I tried bending the parts and modelling an elastic band (LDCAD has one of the worst and unintuitive interfaces I have ever had to use and I have used quite a few 3D modelling programs)

I finally got a shape but when I saved the model and reimported it to stud.io they do not show up. I think this is because they are turned into a subgroup not a part during the LDCAD process. can I export them as a custom part and if so how? (again LDCAD very poor on documentation)

1 hour ago, Cardboy said:

I tried bending the parts and modelling an elastic band (LDCAD has one of the worst and unintuitive interfaces I have ever had to use and I have used quite a few 3D modelling programs)

I finally got a shape but when I saved the model and reimported it to stud.io they do not show up. I think this is because they are turned into a subgroup not a part during the LDCAD process. can I export them as a custom part and if so how? (again LDCAD very poor on documentation)

I would ask @roland  about that

2 hours ago, Cardboy said:

(again LDCAD very poor on documentation)

The lack of tutorial documents makes it harder to use LDCAD. Or, having to ask Roland is a lot of trouble. I've been there and done that. A friend made a how to video for me that was really the best out there, but unfortunately it is no longer available.

7 hours ago, Cardboy said:

A rubber band tutorial is available:

http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/docs/advEdit

The reason they don't show up is because studio doesn't seem to support mpd's with embedded parts.

You might fix that by saving the band into a separate file (LDCad asks this whenever you use a template), besure to name them something .dat and then place them in the custom parts folder of studio.

On 7/25/2019 at 6:29 PM, roland said:

A rubber band tutorial is available:

http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/docs/advEdit

Hi Roland I had read that tutorial but as someone with dyslexia I found it quite hard to follow but I have kinda figured it out (for rubber bands at least, next is soft axels)

So to get them into Stud.io here are my steps.

1. Create the band in LDcad using the instructions. (One thing i will say before hitting the ins key make sure that the you can see the grid plane or you will just make invisible circles which was where I was going wrong.)
  2. Once your happy with the element select it invert the selection and then delete the rest. then save as something .ldr (probably a cleaner way but this works)
  3. Import the file in part designer select 3D object choose a file. Important don't have the file on a network drive or part designer cannot open it i found copping to desktop works.
  4. Export to studio.button. name as you want.
  5. Open Stud.io in the drop-down change from Master to Custom Parts. Also make sure that Hide unavailable colors is unticked in the colour picker or the parts will not show up.
  6. Add to model.

320x180.jpg

Beginning to look really good. Nothing quite like building your skills at the same time too :)

I have been redesigning the chassis and am reasonably happy with the front half. here is are some comparisons with the old and new one.

320x180.jpg320x180.jpg320x180.jpg320x180.jpg

I have increased the suspension clearance by one stud so now when the suspension is set to race the car no longer scrapes along the floor and when at full comfort height the weight of the model cant compress the suspension into the tyres.

I have also moved the suspension adjustment mechanism up one stud so that I can stop using universal joints and the front and rear adjustment are in a straight line which i hope will make it more robust. the result of this is the engine has had to move up one stud as I still want the engine over the suspension and and the towards the middle of the car as it would be if this was a real car. I hope this has not made it look too high when the bonnet down.

with these changes all the axels for steering drive and suspension are all now 3 studs apart which means i can clean up the gears used and reduce some of the friction.

I have also now moved the HOG steering to the front (big gear) and added a HOG gear shift (smaller gear) these can be pulled out and re inserted if you don't needed them.

The forward and reverse gear shift had to be moved as it was in the way of the suspension axel which also meant i had to redesign the paddle shifter it has become more compact the shifting is smooth enough but sometimes catches so may have to revisit this at some point.

Below are some close ups of the new design please let me know what you think.

320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg

Very nice. I am and have been cruious as to if the paddle shifter mechanism could be shrunk at all?

On 10/30/2019 at 2:18 AM, SNIPE said:

Very nice. I am and have been cruious as to if the paddle shifter mechanism could be shrunk at all?

Here are some renders of my modifications the length is about the same but it is now narrower

320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg

For the paddle shifter mechanism. you can replace the cumbersome 24T gear with this:

CnS0YTV.png

an axle can still slide through it, its just a bit stiff.

You can also inline that entire mechanism with the gearbox itself like in this MOC but I dont know if that will be more space efficiant or not.

Edited by SNIPE

@SNIPE Thanks I'll have to have a look at that.

i had wanted to show off some more Pics but after remodelling the front and back of the chassis I was having many issues with the adjustable ride height, which keeps failing I'm adding some more bracing and getting close to a solution that fits and is not to hideous.

Edited by Cardboy

22 minutes ago, Cardboy said:

@SNIPE Thanks I'll have to have a look at that.

i had wanted to show off some more Pics but after remodelling the front and back of the chassis I was having many issues with the adjustable ride height, which keeps failing I'm adding some more bracing and getting close to a solution that fits and is not to hideous.

I look forward to the updates :)

Edited by SNIPE

Finlay finished the car here are some final pics once I have made the stud.io model I'll add some nice CG renders as my photo skills are poor :D

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

Here are some movies of the motorised functions

Suspension

Roof

Bonnet

Lights

Going to update the first post does anyone know how to update the tread title as I want to remove WIP now.

Please let me know what you think.

Edited by Cardboy
Fix Links