The instructions are now available through Rebrickable Here

This my attempt to distil features from all my favourite Lego Super cars into one.

Nearly all of them have steering, suspension, engine and gear box so these are the other features I’m trying to incorporate with a few extras of my own.

8860: Car Chassis – Chassis view (all the body work can easily be removed for a full chassis only model)

8865: Test Car – Pop up head lights, adjustable seats (sadly was no room for this feature)

8880: Super Car – 4-wheel drive and steering

8448: Super Street Sensation – Automatic doors, Convertible and modular build

8070: Super Car - motorised functions

42056: Porsche 911 GT3 RS – Sequential gear box and Orange!

42083: Bugatti Chiron – 8 speed gearbox

640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg

Additionally, I have added adjustable ride height and a motorised roof

Pictures of the chassis and body panels

640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg

her are links to the motorised functions

Suspension

Roof

Bonnet

Lights

More images  https://bricksafe.com/pages/Cardboy/super-car-mrk-3

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

It is based loosely on the 42083 floor-plan as the gear box and shifter are nicely placed and allowed a route for the 4 wheel steering. I used jb70’s layout for the gear box (in the pimp my Bugatti thread) as I have never been good with ratios but heavily modified the casing and redesigned the gear limiter.

I hope you like and please let me know what you think of the model or any questions you may have.

Edited by Cardboy
New CG Images

Sounds like quite the ambitious project; I'm hooked!

I think you could try with motors for your main systems (gearbox, drive, and steering) but make everything else manual. Worst-case scenario you just go full manual, which, as you noted, does have some perks.

Anyways, I look forward to seeing some pictures of development, this has a lot of potential.

9 hours ago, letsbuild said:

Sounds like quite the ambitious project; I'm hooked!

I think you could try with motors for your main systems (gearbox, drive, and steering) but make everything else manual. Worst-case scenario you just go full manual, which, as you noted, does have some perks.

Anyways, I look forward to seeing some pictures of development, this has a lot of potential.

It was only going to be the functions like lights roof and suspension that would be motorised. There is not enough space for motorised steering and power I'm trying to keep it around the size of 42083

6 hours ago, Jonfensu said:

For pics, host them on Bricksafe

Thanks for the info I have made an account I'll post pictures later

I have been working on redesigning the forward section to try and eliminate the weak adjustable suspension that was causing the front of the car to drag on the floor and also see if it can power the functions of pop up head lights and bonnet (hood)

320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg

Sorry for bad photos :grin:

Can anyone tell me the stud dimensions of an L motor?  I think i could fit it to give more power to the suspension, looking at images it seems to be the same roughly as the mindstorms ev3 medium, motor which fits the space I have. so before i splash the cash any assistance with that would be appreciated.

Edited by Cardboy

1 minute ago, 1963maniac said:

L motors are 7 x 3 x 3.

7 x 4 x 3. There are 2 little bulges, 1 on each side, which increase the width to 4 studs.

2 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

7 x 4 x 3. There are 2 little bulges, 1 on each side, which increase the width to 4 studs.

Darn so effectively i need space for 7 X 5 X 3 as I don't think I can offset the motor this the space I have atm

320x180.jpg

Looks great so far! Love the modular approach.

As for the L motor, its size from front to back varies: the first 2 studs are 3x3, then 4 studs of 4x3 and 1 last stud of 3x3:

$_1.JPG

Don't underestimate the power of M motors: with proper gearing and leveraging they can accomplish quite a lot.

2 hours ago, suffocation said:

As for the L motor, its size from front to back varies: the first 2 studs are 3x3, then 4 studs of 4x3 and 1 last stud of 3x3:

Don't underestimate the power of M motors: with proper gearing and leveraging they can accomplish quite a lot.

Exactly right, sorry about that. Do consider that M motor. I've been able to make them work for me too.

@Cardboy

regarding the adjustable suspension, if you make the front/back independent, you can give the car a "speedhump mode", like modern lamborghinis, where you push a button and it raises the front end so you can make it over a speedhump without scraping your front bumper.

Going to do some more tests without the clutch gear which will be fine for the suspension as that can just go round and round.

The roof has a complicated timing with hard stop when opened or closed so if it skips gears it throws it all out will see if I can move the clutch so it will protect the roof.

I am basically doing the same idea, the wheelbase will be the same as the bugatti chiron.

It will have motorised drive, shifting, steering, ride height, roof (therefore also the engine cover), doors and spoiler

Front rear and centre differentials, 4 wheel steering and suspention with ackerman geometry manual shifters, mini w16 engine, LEDs.

Powered by 2 or 3 buwizzes

Maybe even more complexity will be possible with the upcoming Lego SPIKE PRIME parts

The most complex car I have seen is most probably bruno jenson's Mclaren P1 (motorised version)

I aim to make each module as simple but reliable as possible, so very low part count. That way there will be space to add everything else

Only difference is, I am not making my MOC modular as I think that will be impossible, especically with the advanced bodywork im adding.

I am stuck figuring out how to make a 7 speed RC gearbox using the orange rotary shifters.

A digital file or PDF of your MOC would be useful in that respect

Edited by SNIPE

On 3/31/2019 at 8:16 PM, Cardboy said:

8070: Super Car - motorised functions

Why? Those motorized functions were useless and unrealistic. I don't get the point of this!

11 hours ago, SNIPE said:

I am basically doing the same idea, the wheelbase will be the same as the bugatti chiron.

It will have motorised drive, shifting, steering, ride height, roof (therefore also the engine cover), doors and spoiler

Front rear and centre differentials, 4 wheel steering and suspention with ackerman geometry manual shifters, mini w16 engine, LEDs.

Wow there is even more ambitious than me best of luck:thumbup::thumbup:  if you can pull that off I think you will have the holy grail of Technic cars :excited:

I still have the 8 speed box with manual reverse selector i'm using JB70 pimp up your Bugatti layout with a modified case winch is more compact and a modified gear limiter

Alas I do not have a digital file of this car at the moment as I tend to build in Lego then do the digital version from that.

1 hour ago, Yevhen said:

Why? Those motorized functions were useless and unrealistic. I don't get the point of this!

Yeah they kinda are a bit rubbish but it was the first Technic model after my dark age, also it's the only unique thing about the 8070 ( I know it's a super car in name only as it's not a flagship but technically the new Lego cars are not either)

My plan is to have motorised lights, roof and bonnet, I'm doing the doors differently and I don't think I have space for a cool Bugatti style spoiler.

I have cleaned up the topic. Carry on.

OK before this all gets out of hand.

The roof, suspension and lights are all motorised which I think we can agree is a fairly common to be motorised. The bonnet (hood) will be motorised it is using one small liner actuator and I needed a front function and it looks a bit like a gas leaver.

Edited by Cardboy

I have got the mechanical elements in place they are still fragile and need tweaking but the at least all fit and operate as well as the motors, receiver and battery box.

I don't know how to embed video from bricksafe so here are links to the functions in operation, sorry for the poor quality only have a mobile phone and no skill. :D

Lights

Suspension

Roof

Roof 2

Bonnet

I have stiffened the chassis a bit more but it still has a bit too much flex and added the door mechanism.

Going to work on getting the body work more.

Edited by Cardboy

Very smooth operating functions :thumbup:, I like that. The roof mechanism is ingenious.

When the suspension is lowered it effectively ceases to exist, right?

I really like where this is going :wub:

17 hours ago, Cardboy said:

I have got the mechanical elements in place they are still fragile and need tweaking but the at least all fit and operate as well as the motors, receiver and battery box

Roof

Roof 2

I would make the roof a bit slower if possible.

Also the shape of the roof looks a bit off to me. It's pretty short. Why to add a folding mechanism in addition? 

Edited by Yevhen

4 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Very smooth operating functions :thumbup:, I like that. The roof mechanism is ingenious.

When the suspension is lowered it effectively ceases to exist, right?

I really like where this is going :wub:

The lowest point of the suspension it is on the deck it was sitting a bit higher but the weight of the rest of the model and the flex of Lego is pushing a bit too low I may have another look at it at some point. Also I'm using the Lego suspension wishbones as that is more in keeping with the Lego supercars, as most use that design. It dose limit the range of travel

Edited by Cardboy

2 hours ago, Yevhen said:

I would make the roof a bit slower if possible.

Also the shape of the roof looks a bit off to me. It's pretty short. Why to add a folding mechanism in addition? 

Up to about a week ago the roof was much slower but when i redesigned the front suspension, i had to change the rear, which change the path of the roof operation. As a result the roof has sped up as i could not fit bigger reduction gear it is some thing that i do want to change.

The folding mech is for two reasons its a bit more realistic most eletric roofs are in two pars with a fold or sliding system and to allow the car to have some sort of boot. while mine does not have a boot it gives me more space for other mechanisms.

It could maybe be a bit longer but I will need to do a major rework of the mid section, as the roll bar would need to go back. The section covering the interior is about the same length as the 42056 but the curve of the roof starts further back. If i extend the front section before the fold it tends to sag and the windscreen then has to be lower.

Ideally i need some orange beams that are 8 studs long but that will never happen :tongue:

Edited by Cardboy

I have been working on the bodywork of late and have have kinda locked down the front. I have decided to add a power stripe I think this helps break up all the orange, also it makes the gears on the roof blend in better with the model. (red parts will be changed to orange.... eventually :grin:)

I made the headlights wider and think they are about the right width apart.

320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg

I have added a shock to the door it works but there is no fancy way of getting it to open.

320x180.jpg

Some other shots and a look at the underneath.

Now to work on the rear, once that is done i think that I'll probably make a digital version of the car. Then I want to make some major changes to it. The front is a bit heavy, all the functions work but all could be more robust and i want to see if I can make the suspension a bit better.

Great work. I love the hiding headlamps. Old style sport cars design