Holodoc

Event countdown 2019

2days to the event

2 years ago we had 2017!

That year we also had our Eurobricks-Event in Günzburg. And it was also the year of the celebration of 10 years modular buildings with 10255: Assembly Square. The special 1 & 1/2 baseplates long modular they came up with was a true beauty even tho I think overall the three buildings look rather small next to the other modulars. And so it came that that years modular is not my favorit set for 2017.

10255-1.jpg?201610170543

It was also a great year in terms of Lego IDEAS sets. 21309: NASA Apollo Saturn V with its crazy building techniques and the 21310: Old Fishing Store in its overall beauty are both amazing and real treats for us as fans and I am very happy to own them.

21309-1.jpg?20170511085221310-1.jpg?201706070909

But then there was an other set. A true masterpiece in deatil and size. A set that I never ever could anticipate and that I am in love with ever since I saw it for the first time...
Of course I am talking about 70620: NINJAGO City!

70620-1.jpg?201706210220

What a beauty! There is so much going on and it is such a wonderful mix of cyber punk and classical japan.

It had to be my pick for 2017. :wub_drool:

Even more runner ups are:
70618: Destiny's Bounty
70911: The Penguin Arctic Roller
71042: Silent Mary (As an unexpected one shot PotC Return :purrr:)
10256: Taj Mahal (As a totally unexpected return :oh:)
75192: Millennium Falcon (As an other unexpected crazy return *huh*)

What a year... I am totally exhausted by now just from going back in time via Brickset :grin:

2017 was a crazy year with so many large and great sets. I like your choices for the top sets of the year altghough I'm not sure which would go first, Assembly square or Ninjago city.

Oh yes - what a year in terms of LEGO sets! :wub: 

I agree with everything you wrote: All of the mentioned sets are terrific! If I had to choose just one, I would have gone for assembly square. I don't mind the buildings itself being rather small, the interior and the story the interior tells make more than up for it! And the 'square' itself needs space after all. :laugh: 

The fishing store also is a true beauty. If you don't own it yet, go buy it! NOW! You won't ever regret it. The best ideas set so far.

My Ninjago City is still MISB. I have to build it sometime and put it to the rest of my modular town.

1 day to the event

1 years ago we had 2018!

Also in the year 2018 a lot of great new sets were released and it's hard to determine a ranking here. But I’d like to remind you of three of my favorites, that also made it into my collection.

52729-3rd-place-medal-icon.png76105 The Hulkbuster: Ultron Edition
After appearing for the first time in Avengers Age of Ultron in 2015, the Hulkbuster made a short appearance in last year’s part of Infinity War and became Marvel's second UCS set after 76042 The SHIELD Helicarrier from 2015. I'm a big fan of mechs anyway and this one is just incredible. Such huge and massive and at the same time very detailed and perfectly capturing the original template. Cool additions like a base with robot arms for repairing, a Veronica satellite and a Microscale Hot Rod complete this extraordinary set.

76105?hei=500

52728-2nd-place-medal-icon.png75222 Betrayal at Cloud City
For years there have been rumours about a re-release of this iconic location in a galaxy far, far away, after its first replication as a set in 2003. Also numerous April fools dealt with it, even if almost nobody really believed it anymore. When it was once again claimed that a new Cloud City would be released, some were confused. This time it was not in April, but at the end of August. Should it really be true? When looking at the first pictures, however, opinions differed greatly. The joy about the new figures was huge, but the design of the set itself split the fan community, trying to adopt the concept of 75159 Death Star.
Anyway, in my opinion this new Cloud City is really cool, I love the little Slave I and almost every scene from the movie can be replayed very well. My personal place 2 for 2018.

75222?hei=500

52727-1st-place-medal-icon.png75954 Hogwarts Great Hall
Finally, one of the best themes ever is back! Harry Potter returns and brings us a new Hogwarts Castle again!
And yes, it's the playset I chose here as my most favorite set from 2018! Of course, the UCS version 71043 Hogwarts Castle looks great too, but since I'm just not a big microscale fan, I was less enthusiastic about it. With the Great Hall, however, a modular Hogwarts returns including an awesome minifigure lineup! The best: It offers the opportunity to expand it, as with 75953 Hogwarts Whomping Willow (including a nice Ford Anglia) and I hope there will be more additions coming this year.

hogwarts.jpg.f55ba434a0c083cd2242ce14155dbbd3.jpg

(Image shows 75954 and 75953 combined)

So these were my highlights of the last year. What do you think of them – and what were yours?

Can't wait to see you all tomorrow :)

Edited by Vaionaut

Your choice represents some wonderful sets, but none of them would make it to my top10.

The Hulkbuster looks brilliant, the other sets are still nice, but neither of the subthemes is ringing a bell in me. :def_shrug:

On the Brickset list of 2018 I didn't have to scroll far - my favourite is the incredible Statue of Liberty 21042. :wub_drool:

21042-1.jpg?201805220828
The tiny flaws in the set can easily be replaced with just a few extra bricks, but what you receive is the perfect rendition of the original, so much better than the old Statue 3450.

10261 Roller Coaster and 40290 60 years of the LEGO brick are my 2nd and 3rd place.

Well, I'm somewhere in between. I like both 75954 Hogwarts Great Hall and 21042 Statue of Liberty, but I think my number one is 70657 Ninjago City Docks. I still remember the excitement when I bought it and built it. 

Looking back at 2018, what a disappointing year :) Well I must admit that I'm no fan of Display models like the Hulkbuster is meant to be. The Cloud City is a meh set with great minifigures and the Ninjago City was far superior to the City Docks. We had some interesting sets from Jurassic World and the Black Panther, but none of those really stand out that much. I would agree that the Great Hall was among the best sets of 2018 but I also have to mention another set. Although I am no fan of Technic, don't own the set and never will, but am a big fan of the shape of this car and surprised how TLG captured it so precisely! Of course I'm talking about the Chiron set!

tn_42083_Front_jpg.jpg

See you all tomorrow!!!

I predict that @Holodoc will choose the Ford Mustang as the set of the year 0 days from the event :D

P.S.: Who won?

So many great sets mentioned for 2018 but still I did not get any of them... Even tho I have Downtown Diner I don't really like it and had to mod it to fit my liking. But I think I will buy the Aston Martin DB5 one day. Maybe next year in Billund :wink: and then I definitely need that Microscale Hogwarts Castle. :wub:

3 hours ago, MstrOfPppts said:

@Skalldyr but you don't need the four minifigures, right? I can sense some mutual interests here ;)

Sounds not unlikely :wink:

14 hours ago, MstrOfPppts said:

I predict that @Holodoc will choose the Ford Mustang as the set of the year 0 days from the event :D

That alone made me think of a different set. :tongue:

No, not really. Of course -after 21042 from 2018 - it had to be 70840 Welcome to Apocalypseburg !

70840-1.jpg?201901061157

But with the Mustang being close behind. :wink:
And I liked this fellas: 70841-1.jpg?201811200607 - just for the pink spacedude! :wub:

P.S.: Who won?

:facepalm:

We all! :grin:  Thank you very much for participating here and see you soon in lovely Günzburg! :wub:

3 hours ago, Holodoc said:

And I liked this fellas: 70841-1.jpg?201811200607 - just for the pink spacedude! :wub:

Lenny is the best - I got me around 20 for the Swedish CS layout that me and another guy do :grin_wub:!