Holodoc

Event countdown 2019

It's 11 days until the event in Günzburg/Germany. The annual event countdown is about to start tomorrow. :excited:

This year we will do a collaborative countdown.10 eventees will join the event for the full time, 2 more are chiming in on Friday, 12th.
We will present you a (completely subjective) retrospect of the best set of the last 10 years, each day performed by another eventee.

Tomorrow we start with the best set of 10 years ago: 2009! So stay tuned and feel free to post your comments here - even when you are not joining the event (why not, btw? :look: ) :wink:!

10 days to the event

10 years ago we had 2009. I browsed all 479 entries for 2009 and thought: Holy... how can I determine just one set to be the best? :look:
...until I found this set:

10194-1.jpg?200903281134

The Emerald Night (set 10194) clearly outdoes every other set just for the completely unexpected and wonderful train it is. It's a very highly detailed steam locomotive with a decent coal tender. The first (and only so far!) train which is NOT powered by the 'normal' train motor, but by the new PF XL-motor! The carriage is well done, too, but the lack of more carriages makes it a somehow unfinished set. But we know that already from TLC - and try to get hold of at least parts for at least 3 carriages, don't we? :sweet:

More remarkable entries / runner ups for 2009:

10193-1.jpg?201605161116Medieval market 10193

10195-1.jpg?200903231116Republic Dropship with AT-OT Walker 10195

5974-1.jpg?200903131040Galactic Enforcer 5974

That one is indeed a great pic! Even tho I am not into Lego Trains this set is a true classic that I wish I'd have. 

Yep! Luckily I bought three copies of the set, so now I have a decent train with three carriages. :grin: 
Photo is about to follow...

Although I too am not a trains fan, I do agree the set looks amazing. But for only three minifigures, a lack of torso printings and at least another coach I'd put it after the Medieval Market if only for the Mooo Mooos! :)

This is the one train that got me a bit more interested in trains, and sadly I regret not buying it when I had the chance. On the other hand, Medival Market was the one that got my full attention as it became my first set bought in multiples for the parts. :grin_wub:

I loved that set, but I got the Medieval Market Village that year. No space for a choo-choo in my house. An excellent choice for the year!

I have to agree with you on this one Holodoc. Not only is it the only set on your top 4 list that I have 2 of. It is also the only set form that year I still have assembled now 10 years later!

9 days to the event

9 years ago we had 2010! My browsing was intense & short - the winner is:

10210-1.jpg?2 

Set 10210 Imperial Flagship - 1619 Parts, 9 Minifigs, The return of a classic sail ship was long overdue, but when it came - o´boy what a return :wub:!

Great design, good part selection and a bunch of minifigs. The Governor's Daughter is my favorite!

10210_minifigs.jpg

No runners up for me!

Here´s the Eurobricks review by Svelte:

If I remember right it was one of the reasons we choose Pirates as the theme for our collaborative layout at Brickworld 2012. I used it as a start before MOCing it up with more canons and change of colors - 00:50 into the video :sweet::

What a beast you moced out of that ship! And as a Lego-pirate fan I already loved the original for all its cannons and figures and the overall size. Great set indeed :thumbup: wish there were some more pirate sets in recent years...

Agreed on this one, this was an easy choice. This was the first set I bricklinked after coming back into LEGO, since I just missed it on the shelves ...

The close runner up for me would be the 4842 Hogwarts Castle:

4842-0000-xx-13-1.jpg

I completely agree with you on your choice. It is still the best ship TLC ever produced! :wub:

There seems to be a pattern for the best sets: a) Still assembled on your display at home and b) you want to have multiples of.
a - check! Pimped with double cannons and more soldiers. :grin: (but nothing compared to your BW MOC)

b - on the list of the things I should have done. :wall:

10 hours ago, Holodoc said:

I completely agree with you on your choice. It is still the best ship TLC ever produced! :wub:

There seems to be a pattern for the best sets: a) Still assembled on your display at home and b) you want to have multiples of.
a - check! Pimped with double cannons and more soldiers. :grin: (but nothing compared to your BW MOC)

b - on the list of the things I should have done. :wall:

I totally agree. I don't own this ship, but I have it at home, and I appreciate its good looks:wub: and parts selection. Definitely the best pirate ship. 

8 days to the event

8 years ago we had 2011! I have been browsing 2011 on Brickset for a few times the past week and I have not actually managed to find a favourite set for the year, even tough it is the year of Ninjago (the time when Lord Garmadon was a teenager, since he is so short) and Pirates of the Caribbean :grin:

2256-1.jpg?2011032404044191-1.jpg?201102020739

I'm not a huge fan of Star Trek, but I do remember I bought a bunch of the 7929 The Battle of Naboo to try making some fun with alot of Droids, but thoose are in a box on a shelf. 

7929-1.jpg?201012221109

So my favourite for the year of 2011 would be from Kingdom, the 7189 Mill Village Raid. It was a nice to build set, but it had two goats :laugh::laugh:

7189-1.jpg?201102211259

Wasn't this the time when TLC introduced all the lovely new animals like the chicken, the pigs and the goats?

One might argue from this time LEGO drove the playmobil way, but I love the animals nevertheless.

I remember when we (Bonaparte, Snefroe, Aredhel and me) were driving to Billund, we passed a fuel station which still had this set on the shelf, in general it was sold out at that time.
I also remember that we checked the set and price on our smartphones and that Bonaparte had a call with a friend whether to buy the set or not, but I don't recall the final decision.
Maybe it's still on the shelf? :grin: 

Captains Cabin was also a nice little set with fantastic accessories like the globe and the bottles. :wub: 

I also liked The Alien Mothership 7065 7065-1.jpg?201102221213  - a real unusual build with sound and new track pieces (narrower curves!) A lot of fun to play with!

Diagon Alley 10217 10217-1.jpg?201012240436

Maersk Train 10219 10219-1.jpg?201101230935 - I am a train guy, here I simply forgot to buy multiples of... 

and VW Camper Van 10220 10220-1.jpg?201108130438 - mine is still MISB. But one day...

The Mill Village Raid is an awesome set. I do remember bricklinking it for a decent price after getting sucked into LEGO big time ... probably my number 1 of that year as well. Even if just for the Mee-ees :)
I can still remember 2010, when I first saw the image of the funky 3D printed prototype of Jack Sparrow on a camel. My thoughts: I need to have this. And then 2011 came with the whole PoTC theme. Queen Anne's Revenge was my first set I bought in 2011 and after that I think I spent two of my salaries on LEGO that year ...
More runners up:

tn_10221-0000-xx-13-1_jpg.jpg tn_7964-0000-xx-13-1_jpg.jpg tn_4195-0000-xx-13-1_jpg.jpg

P.S.: JFI Star Trek has nothing to do with Naboo ...

18 minutes ago, MstrOfPppts said:

P.S.: JFI Star Trek has nothing to do with Naboo ...

Hehe.. You saw it :p For me booth is space.

42 minutes ago, Holodoc said:

Wasn't this the time when TLC introduced all the lovely new animals like the chicken, the pigs and the goats?

The "naked" pig came out in 2010, and the the pig with brown patches came in two sets in 2011. 
The chicken also came in the same set as the goats. 

Mill Village, I LOVED it. Goats! A true LEGO Goat for the secret internet goat :tongue: They are now something of a signature in my very large builds. The set has slowly come apart as I built more Castle, but I really do love it.

21 minutes ago, MstrOfPppts said:

tn_4195-0000-xx-13-1_jpg.jpg

I remember I bought this ship on an auction in a Byggepladen, (Denmark) event few days before it got released, when I picked it up I raised it up and said to my fellow Norwegian that "Now we don't need a ferry to get back home"

I still remember these sets, it was a year after I got back to LEGO. At the time I was mostly interested in modular buildings, and didn't buy many other themes. However, the VW Van was on my wish list, and I built it over two days with my little nephew (4 at the time). I still remember the shock when I discovered him chewing the hair brush from the set. *oh2*

Otherwise I completely agree that Mill Village Raid stands out the most - mostly for the goats. Diagon Alley and Queen Anne's Revenge are great runners up.

Such a great year! With amazing Pirates and Castle themes... Loved every bit of them :wub:

Elena has to get up early tomorrow and will be away for most of the day, so she has asked me to post her entry. I will also be away all day, so I'm going to the limits of the rules and posting at 12:01:

7days to the event

7 years ago we had 2012!

In the year 2012 I was not a LEGO fan yet.

Back then I simply did not knew my beloved LasseD, who converted me to the LEGO cause.

But was I a fan, I would have bought this set:

79003-1.jpg?201207220512

Ahh yes ... right after the year of Pirates of the Caribbean ended, there comes a whole line of Lord of the Rings and Hobbit sets ... and we got some dinosaurs and a police station with a bear! And I thought I spent a lot the previous year :D
Here are some more great sets:

tn_10228_main_jpg.jpg tn_9500_main_jpg.jpg tn_9516_main_jpg.jpg tn_9474_alt2_jpg.jpg tn_9473_main_jpg.jpg tn_79010_main_jpg.jpg tn_10223_main_jpg.jpg