Shadows

Fabuland Builders Guild - Discussion Thread

Hello!

One of my first Lego sets was a Fabuland one. Got it from my Mom. The 3792 Bedroom with Lucy Lamb.

Unfortunately this happened around 1989, the end of the theme, so i didn't get any more, but loved the figure very much. Many- many years later i managed to acquire some Fabuland figures in very good condition from one of my classmates. I was already a big boy, but still a fan of those cute figures. :classic: That didn't change since then. After my dark ages, i discovered Bricklink so brand new opportunities arose to get figures.

Today i received a package from a great BL seller in my country, and guess what was in it? MISB Fabuland sets: 3707, 3708, and 3709.

My question is to you guys: would you open these? :classic: I would really love to, but i am not sure! I mean the history/ 30+ years is in there... Who am i to open them?

Edited by Lazer

Hello Lego Fabuland Fans,

Please review the Site Guidelines on trading/selling. Thank you.

... Today i received a package from a great BL seller in my country, and guess what was in it? MISB Fabuland sets: 3707, 3708, and 3709.

My question is to you guys: would you open these? :classic: I would really love to, but i am not sure! I mean the history/ 30+ years is in there... Who am i to open them?

No. Don't open them. And here's my reasoning:

I, personally, would not have purchased sealed sets (if) my intention was not to leave them sealed. They may not be rare sets, now - however - as sealed versions of those sets, I would gather, without looking up each, as sealed versions of those sets they are now making up but a fraction of the listings for said sets being sold. Already, they are rarer. They are nearing historicity...

Someone out there, either now or in the future, may be wanting to acquire sealed versions of these sets. As a collector, regardless of the nature of the item, I think my own duty would be to preserve these as is - if not for myself, then for someone else.

And, opening them seems either irresponsible - because most Fabuland pieces, or entire sets, can be readily found in great condition - or it seems somewhat sadistic, like purposely destroying what someone else may take delight in for the simple but ephemeral power trip that such an act may bring.

Unless, your opening a Fabuland museum, and your intent is to display these sets, then I would say open 'em... But really, if anything, curate them now for the person who will. You don't have to dissect them; for you already know what they contain.

My two pennies, anyway.

Hey everybody !

Happy to join (back) the community.

Fabuland is my favorite theme ever.

I join Notaromantic in not opening sealed cases. You can easily find loosse sets. Opening 30 years ol cases is a felony !

See you soon ! I'll try to post my collection someday.

Edited by The Fabulander

I've always thought this theme is very cute, even if it did aim at very young children. To be fair, it did introduce some usefull moulds that are still used in other themes today! My favourite set is the fabuland big house.

On 31 March 2016 at 1:02 PM, Lazer said:

Today i received a package from a great BL seller in my country, and guess what was in it? MISB Fabuland sets: 3707, 3708, and 3709.

I would and would be too tempted otherwise. However, they are very rare and it's your choice realy.

Hello! I'm GameyRaccoon, and I love Fabuland! Could someone tell me exactly how this thread works? Am I allowed to put Fabuland MOCs here?

Thanks!

On 11/25/2018 at 5:00 AM, GameyRaccoon said:

Hello! I'm GameyRaccoon, and I love Fabuland! Could someone tell me exactly how this thread works? Am I allowed to put Fabuland MOCs here?

Thanks!

This thread is for discussion about building and collecting Fabuland, as Special Themes is the home for Fabuland. You are welcome to post Fabuland MOCs in the Special Themes section. You can probably tell a lot of users like the theme :grin:

On 11/28/2018 at 2:43 AM, Peppermint_M said:

You are welcome to post Fabuland MOCs in the Special Themes section.

Sorry, I'm new to EB, what exactly does that mean?

Edited by GameyRaccoon

4 hours ago, GameyRaccoon said:

Sorry, I'm new to EB, what exactly does that mean?

This will help with the acronyms.  Check out the Forum Information and Help section for more such information.

From that page:

MOC = My Own Creation

This is a build that you create, rather than a set or something you saw online (which would be someone else's MOC).

On 1/6/2019 at 7:05 PM, GameyRaccoon said:

what are the special themes

Special Themes is the name of this section of the forum, the one that this topic/thread is in. Special sounds a lot better than: Miscellaneous stuff we can't figure out where else to put. 

Fabuland is one of the themes that is housed in this section. Just Like Action and Adventure Themes (Of which I am moderator) is home to Ninjago. 

As such, if you want to share with us a Fabuland MOC, or funny photo, or anything Fabuland, you can post here in this section of the forum.

7 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Special Themes is the name of this section of the forum, the one that this topic/thread is in. Special sounds a lot better than: Miscellaneous stuff we can't figure out where else to put. 

Fabuland is one of the themes that is housed in this section. Just Like Action and Adventure Themes (Of which I am moderator) is home to Ninjago. 

As such, if you want to share with us a Fabuland MOC, or funny photo, or anything Fabuland, you can post here in this section of the forum.

Thanks a lot! :)

I guess i'll post this now. 

My first Fabuland set.

Charlie Cat Fisherman

And the MOC I built to go along with it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/160358275@N03/44549469572/in/photostream

@The Bricksmith I imagine it has something to do with trying without manuals/directions for the economy. My other guess is it could be a beginner location, meaning it's where people placed their first real efforts and have kept it a theme like that since. I've built a few replicas but never have I succeeded to create something random. And those are the easy ideas, too.

Having come across this today I now know where to place my knights castle. I can probably stop using the word citadel. :moar:

7 hours ago, Viper Knight said:

@The Bricksmith I imagine it has something to do with trying without manuals/directions for the economy. My other guess is it could be a beginner location, meaning it's where people placed their first real efforts and have kept it a theme like that since. I've built a few replicas but never have I succeeded to create something random. And those are the easy ideas, too.

Having come across this today I now know where to place my knights castle. I can probably stop using the word citadel. :moar:

They last logged in nearly a decade ago. You probably ought to start checking post dates.

On 5/3/2008 at 1:10 AM, Hinckley said:

And now for a Fabuland Building tip

A couple people have asked me if there's any way to tighten up the joints of Fabuland figs and the answer is yes. Fabuland fig joints get very loose with time, especially if you wash them in hot water...I used to play with mine in the bath when I was a kid and it leaves them totally floppy with worn off faces, so only clean them if absolutely necessary and then use only luke warm water and a low peroxide solution.

Here's how to tighten up the joints:

One easy way to tighten up the arms is to remove the arm and pack the socket with a little cotton or tissue-then replace the arm. This will provide enough friction to make the arm poseable. A little more involved and permanent solution involves clear coating the joint pieces...

You will need a paint brush and clear coat gloss acrylic:

joints_04.jpg

or a spray clear coat:

joints_05.jpg

Take the loose figure apart:

joints_01.jpg

Removing the legs can be difficult and even a little dangerous. :blush: The legs are held in place with a Fabuland-specific pin. Once you've removed one, you can use it to push pins through on other figures like this:

joints_06.jpg

Once you have that pin, it's not always easy. Be patient because it doesn't always work... Also, there's a trick in that you need to get that first pin out. I used a nail punch:

joints_07.jpg

Once you have the figure apart, spray or brush the clear coat onto the ends of the arms and the pin:

joints_02.jpg

joints_03.jpg

Let the clear coat dry for a day and then put the fig back together. The extra surface area the clear coat adds should provide tighter joints for quite some time and the clear coat is perfectly safe for the plastic.

Enjoy! More tips soon! :classic:

Hello all! Happy Holidays!

Does anybody have the pictures of these steps? I am looking to tighten a few Fabuland figures and encounter this article but the pictures are not available anymore