Sign in to follow this  
Hod Carrier

MOD/MOC: Road-Rail Excavator

This is a little distraction project that I've been working on as a break from other things. I've always liked these little road-rail excavators and other on-track plant, so I thought I'd have a go at building one.

46768803864_bfa9b86cda_z.jpg

I'd settled on the PW160 wheeled excavator built by Komatsu as a fairly common model in use with several contractors, including VolkerRail. These are converted to road-rail use by Rexquote.

In the course of my research I discovered that another builder had already created a LEGO PW160, which can be found here. So, rather than reinvent the wheel, I opted to reverse engineer and modify this model to create my own version. Credit goes to Y Aki, the original designer and builder.

46768803774_9b17e78735_z.jpg

My model features opening engine cover and side lockers showing internal details. The construction on the rear deck behind the cab is the automatic lubricating device.

32550207747_23b5034d78_z.jpg

Working on the track in the company of a trolley-mounted container. 

32550207677_c6d7996995_z.jpg

As this machine occupies the track when operating, the line must be taken under possession. Therefore, a protected worksite has been set up with possession and worksite limit boards and detonator protection.

47492219481_dc903b19dd_z.jpg

These machines, together with the trolleys, are very versatile and can be put to a variety of uses, including piling. Transporting the piles to the location where they will be installed, a special attachment grabs and places each pile in precisely the right location and then begins to vibrate it into the ground.

47492220211_ab5fbfc4ac_z.jpg

It's good to see the boys are using the correct PPE, including ear defenders.

Another adaptation that is needed for piling is the use of a cantilevered counterweight at the rear of the body to maintain stability.

32550207977_e1445cf187_z.jpg

The second stage is to drive the pile to the required depth, a job that can be done using an excavator-mounted piling rig.

32550207867_20fdb79c09_z.jpg

As the pile goes deeper the piling rig moves down the vertical guide until it reaches the required depth.

47492220201_1dda9683db_z.jpg

The entire set, including trolleys, buckets, attachment, track signs, piles and piling equipment.

32550207957_f9ecc926f5_z.jpg

Very cool! A must have for any railroad! I love all the details. 

Beautiful and very well-conceived, with all these accessories! :wub:
Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Tenderlok

I like it a lot.

In the same ballpark, I've made several attempts at one of these...

6-28447_5941.jpg?v=2

... but can never seem to get the lift mechanism for the road wheels to function properly. One of my great failings in Lego remains Technic - not only am I bad at it, it bores me intensely. I'd love to see someone with the knack for small industrial projects take on the Trackmobile. 

2 minutes ago, ProvenceTristram said:

I like it a lot.

In the same ballpark, I've made several attempts at one of these...

6-28447_5941.jpg?v=2

... but can never seem to get the lift mechanism for the road wheels to function properly. One of my great failings in Lego remains Technic - not only am I bad at it, it bores me intensely. I'd love to see someone with the knack for small industrial projects take on the Trackmobile. 

Can you link more shots of it in action? 

On 3/29/2019 at 9:09 AM, Hod Carrier said:

47492220201_1dda9683db_z.jpg

The entire set, including trolleys, buckets, attachment, track signs, piles and piling equipment.

32550207957_f9ecc926f5_z.jpg

I think this is well composed.   I love the fact you included the driver head it looks very convincing 

Lovely machine! I like the beautiful shape of this excavator :thumbup:

The detail that I love the most are the twin tyres, becaus the MOC looks like a real model :excited:

The accessories are amazing too! :wub:

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. I wanted to try and get the details right. There are no motorised functions and parts of the model are quite fragile. For example, the arm cannot hold the weight of the accessories at full stretch.

@ProvenceTristram That’s an interesting prototype. What’s your intention for modelling it? Are you hoping to have any motorised features?

6 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. I wanted to try and get the details right. There are no motorised functions and parts of the model are quite fragile. For example, the arm cannot hold the weight of the accessories at full stretch.

@ProvenceTristram That’s an interesting prototype. What’s your intention for modelling it? Are you hoping to have any motorised features?

I think it's too small to squeeze both a motor and the elaborate mechanics required to lift the wheels vertically.

8 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Can you link more shots of it in action? 

Cue hokey early 90s style advertisement. 

Basically, the center wheels hydraulically lift and tuck inwards.

Edited by ProvenceTristram

@ProvenceTristram What a beast!!! :laugh:

I agree that powering a model that small would be asking the impossible. I’m not sure you’d squeeze a motor in there, never mind anything else. I’m guessing you actually want the road wheels to be lifted as part of the model rather than simply having two configurations you can swap between.

Great looking excavator. All the accessories you built really bring it out and enhance the play options.

a great machine. I love to attempt to reverse a design that works. Very satisfying when you can pull it off. 

Great job on the vibro compactor / pile driver. I attempted but never got my head around how to get it to work for my Windhoff work units. 

Thanks guys. :classic:

@coghilla I did have another look at your electrification train to see if I could gain inspiration for the piling equipment. Feel free to copy whatever you wish to add to your models.

A truly wondefull work off art , been thiking about making one also.

Any chance to get a couple more close up pictures off the underside if possible?

Edited by GR4FFIXXZ
Seantence not finished

I gotta say thisis truely spot on.   The county was doing road work infront of work and were using one of these (without the rail attachment).  I pulled up this and held it up .... So again well done sir!

Thank you, gentlemen. :classic:

@Roadmonkeytj I cannot take any credit for the shape of the excavator itself, as it was reverse-engineered from another MOC (see original post for link and credits). All I've done is adapt it for road-rail use and create some appropriate accessories.

@GR4FFIXXZ Sorry I didn't spot your request earlier. Which part of the excavator are you interested to see?

This is so spot on.

I work with RRVs all the time in my line of work.

Do you have a list of parts for this by any chance? i would love to recreate what you did, and have it on my desk at work.

Please teach me!