chezzymann

[MOC] Book Hop, a used book store

This is Book Hop. It was going to be called Book Shop, but I ran out of space for the S on the sign and went with Hop instead. I think its more unique anyways. It took me a while to make this, worked on and off for a few weeks in stud.io. Not including the time waiting for bricklink orders. And then another couple weeks tweaking things and adding stuff in real life. Its around 3000 pieces. Hope you enjoy!

Exterior:

ZzWtFKE.jpg

w2RFVHY.jpg

First floor:

I wanted to separate each section by genre. Theres romance, sci fi, cooking, and graphic novels. See if you can guess which is which. 

qnZypLp.png

I made sure to have studs on the floor so you can pose minifigs easily. (Excuse the hairs I have a dog and its super hard to remove all of them).

FeJnKSQ.png

Second floor:

Its a starbucks style café. I really wanted a big bathroom for some reason so that's a thing. 

JnyCwxM.png

Better angle of the café. I'm planning on adding stickers for a menu on the brown tiles eventually. 

NyV5wWM.png

Magazine area with a comfy couch. 

mb595OU.png

Third floor:

Its an apartment. This was done freestyle with spare parts, unlike the rest of the building which was designed in stud.io. Demolished some mixels and lakeside lodge to make it. 

PZiiDSL.png

Lower angle. 

YjjJPXd.png

Managed to cram a shower area into a small space. Just barely! 

lpJH8M1.jpg

Edited by chezzymann

Looks great!  I really love the bookshop on the first floor.  The colors, shelves full of books, the rounded counter area and entryway with the angled shelves- it all works really well.

I think the cafe is nice as well, but seems a little awkward to just be the whole second floor with no signage of its own or deeper integration into the bookstore theme itself.  That is, I'd maybe swap out some of the cafe restaurant style seating for some additional comfy chairs to read in or something so it feels more like a part of or extension to the shop below.  Awesome that you've increased the total number of toilet facilities available in the city by a significant number over what's available in the official Modulars!  :laugh:

Lovely build - thanks for sharing!  :classic:

I like it very much. It is a beautiful building with many great  details.

This looks great, especially the front facade.  On the inside, my favourite details are the front counter in the store, the old tv cabinet and the curtain in the cafe.

I'm confused by the smoke coming out of the chimney though, as I don't see a fireplace anywhere!

Wonderful modular! The subdued yet warm colors you chose work great for an old book shop. Really like the snot-work around the windows, the grill pieces on the mansard style roof and that recessed first floor front entrance. Fantastic work throughout, I'd definitely like to visit.

Love it, great. will try to borrow some ideas ;)

Edited by Romanos

Well done. The building looks amazing. Since I'm a big fan of books and reading, I always try to visit a local book store. This is exactly a place I'd go to. I like a combo of a cafe and a bookstore. Hard to say what my favourite detail is, but what stands out to me is the front facade, the design of the roof and lots and lots of books inside. The only thing I'd change (if possible) is the door - I'd go for glass door to see more of the interiors.