I am going to make myself a testing returner. Most likely going to be a lift belt and some long Technic bricks with the large turntables for the balls to drop through.

You see Akiyuki using one in a few of his videos.

Work is progressing on the digitization. 2121 Parts so far and as you can see with new tilting exit ramp to keep the balls within the module or exit to the next module.

33853223048_4379df035d_c.jpg

Nice Berthil!

I currently have the v2 ball factory almost done, except the most left ball loader. The gearing and techniques are marvelous, but I do see some weak spots. Maybe its because I don’t have 2 large base plates

47677606562_35a21d4c8e_z.jpg

But iam going to tear it down to get started with your (v3) module. I think iam going to make the base all black, as i do not have that many dbg. I think i have most of the parts, but have to get briklinking again to get the correct colors.

Especially this spot (below) is weak. But as far I can see in your preview this is taken care off ?

46814176555_73f1a5d61d.jpg

The 2 "towers" of 1x6. they are pushed out of place sometime's by the long axle. Again, maybe because of my "baseplate" construction.
Still, dispite all my ugly color variations, this was one of the nicest GBC builds so far (and it wasn't even finished)

Looking forward to Berthil's masterpiece.

There shouldn't ever be enough resistance to cause that to be an issue.

With most Akiyuki modules and I don't think Berthil's will be any different, you need to hand crank each bit to make sure everything is loose and running smoothly. If it isn't, something is wrong.

One of the key things I worked on when fixing the ball factory back to the original design, was the fact that Akiyuki could hand crank it without issue. With Berthil's version, he can hand crank it without issue. I am sure many people will end up building it and if they try and hand crank it, it won't work so well. Just because there will be a bunch of resistances which shouldn't be there. Be it a bent axle, a bush or gear too tightly pressed against a liftarm etc.

I am currently working on the Cup-to-Cup and the bunch of 40T gears weren't loose enough. That caused all sorts of issues. So I sat there, hand cranking it until I knew all of them were nice and smooth and there was little resistance.
Now though, I feel as though the 12T and 24T gears together provide too much resistance, so I am going to test a different gear arrangement and see if that provides less resistance when I hand crank it.

Hand cranking is king! :)

Thanks for the tip!

I do feel resistance when the long axle is pushing. Ill check it further tomorrow. i have connected axle sizes 9+9+9+5 (=32) together as i do not have a 32 axle
Is on one of my bricklink wanted list's, but for this month i ordered enough (says my wife)
I also had lots of resistance problems with the invisible lift. I ended up using some baby oil on some if the axle. The the invisible lift is a very "tork hungry" machine.

I had an issue with the Hockey Lift due to a bent axle. I swear to this day that the axle was straight as an arrow, but swapping it fixed the issue.

I don't think the axle lengths should be an issue. e.g. it adds additional weight, but that isn't the issue you are facing. The 32L is more an aesthetics thing. They also tend not to be very straight. I bought mine from LEGO directly and they aren't ideal.

Every considered going: 12 + 12 + 8? Keeps it all black and reduces it to 3 axles. 12L are reasonably common. Obviously, 9L and 3L if you are wanting to preserve the yellow look. Seems to have a BlackTron look to it.

I've added a ball return to the Inbox without additional mechanics. Elevation of Bucket Emptier was just enough with 3 bricks above Inbox edge.
It will also be added to the building instructions. Digital design almost done in Stud.io (without hoses).

Click on the image and click play to see the video on Flickr:

46833078355_90f14892ea_c.jpg

Edited by Berthil

Great news indeed. My fingers are itching to getting started.

just orderd some extra black rigid hose

I finished the digital model. For the inpatient builders I have already made the Rebrickable entry with parts list (4267!).
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-24605/Berthil/akiyuki-ball-factory-new-style-v3/

Building instruction will be added in two weeks after my holiday. Unfortunately can't add hoses to the design on my Mac with Studio so below a render without hoses. I will be visiting The LEGO House by the way :)

33888707488_596e6fa7af_c.jpg

I'm on it already!!   Thanks Berthi.  By the way I have some improvements to the Large motor version of the train car I will be submitting as soon as a Bricklink order arrives.

The "will-be-added-in-two-weeks.com" is a bit of a dangerous game to play. It ends up with browsers redirecting to random sites.

Stud.io says close to 600 Euros but counts 21 Euros for the DBG 2x2 macaroni part which is far too high and can also easily replaced by a different color.

Meanwhile I've created a draft of the first 65 pages of an estimated 450 of the building instruction, it's available on Rebrickable.
Please let me know if you see errors or have other tips so I can correct for the final version.
Not one component is the same as in the original so you can't just take a component and put it in this build, it has to be build from scratch.

12 hours ago, RickBobbie5 said:

By the way I have some improvements to the Large motor version of the train car I will be submitting as soon as a Bricklink order arrives.

Which Train unit are you improving ?

The one by @Berthil using the re-chargable battery or the one by me @Doug72 using an L motor with standard AA Battery box ?

Hi Berthil,

I begun with the build, great instruction fo so far. The red outlines are a big plus.

I found only 2 inconsistencies:
Page 24 states 5x 1x9 liftarms, only 4 are placed
Page 37 blue pin is floatin in the air, not being used till page 39

Maybe an extra number to display the axle / long liftarm length ?
Great work so far and enjoy you holliday!

Iam going for a more "blacker" version, because otherwise the bricklink bill's where too big ;)

47778831601_ed130b7cc7_c.jpg

On 5/4/2019 at 9:02 AM, Berthil said:

Stud.io says close to 600 Euros but counts 21 Euros for the DBG 2x2 macaroni part which is far too high and can also easily replaced by a different color.

Meanwhile I've created a draft of the first 65 pages of an estimated 450 of the building instruction, it's available on Rebrickable.
Please let me know if you see errors or have other tips so I can correct for the final version.
Not one component is the same as in the original so you can't just take a component and put it in this build, it has to be build from scratch.

Interesting in AUD it is sitting around 650. To be expected for a big complicated build. m going to have to tackle it in sections I think

On 5/3/2019 at 1:27 PM, Berthil said:

I finished the digital model. For the inpatient builders I have already made the Rebrickable entry with parts list (4267!).
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-24605/Berthil/akiyuki-ball-factory-new-style-v3/

Building instruction will be added in two weeks after my holiday. Unfortunately can't add hoses to the design on my Mac with Studio so below a render without hoses. I will be visiting The LEGO House by the way :)

33888707488_596e6fa7af_c.jpg

Although you state that you cannot add the hoses in your instructions, are you able to add the hose connections and clamps? Are you able to show where the hose connections mount to the ball factory? I do need to build this as a standalone module and will not be interfacing with any other modules.

I suspect the hoses will be in the parts list and the connectors will be in the right places etc. It is just that rendering the hoses in a curved manner is a nightmare in the software. It just isn't worth the effort.

Correct, mounts are there and with text I indicate what lengths would be best, parts list is also correct.

7 hours ago, Berthil said:

Correct, mounts are there and with text I indicate what lengths would be best, parts list is also correct.

Perfect. Thank you for all your hard work, and the work yet to come. Has anyone done a parts comparison between Version 2 and @Berthil Version 3? Just wondering how many parts can be reused in version 3. Certainly a lot of the chains, treads for conveyor belts, gears, axles, etc. I built my Ball Factory in almost all RED. Not sure if it is worth changing all the colors, or mixing colors for those parts that I will need. I have learned that going forward with new projects, I will be building in the LBG and DBG.  https://www.bricksafe.com/pages/rskamen/

I suspect the difference in parts is huge. e.g. there are not many liftarms in the original version, where as the new one is mainly liftarms. There were lots of standard bricks in the original, but few in the new version.

The bonus is, the more obscure stuff is replicated. e.g. belts, buckets, curved bricks, that sort of thing.

If I make this version, I won't cannibalise the old one for it. Will probably just share the buckets between the two.

I checked the component list provided by Berthil and it seems to me that about a half of the components can be reused from the v2 ball factory.

The solution of the output (and loop-back) track with the hoses seems to be elegant - but rather expensive. I have never used hoses before and I have none at home.I wonder if there is any cheaper replacement.