Unfinished_Projects

LDraw Files for Shupp's XXL Train Wheels (Download Link)

LDraw Files for Shupp's XXL Train Wheels

Download links: 

XXL Flanged and Blind:

https://bricktraindepot.com/resources

Myself and a few others expressed interest in using Shupp's XXL wheels in digital form, so I decided to give LDraw part creation a try.  Instead of designing the part directly into .dat format I used Solidworks to create the wheels, exported them as .stl files, and converted them using a python converter script (https://github.com/HazenBabcock/stl-to-dat).  Please note these are not perfect, and may have slight differences from the real product.  Included below is a picture of the wheels next to a Big Ben Bricks XL wheel and a Lego L wheel.

Shupp XXL Wheels in LDraw

Since I designed these in Solidworks I can export them in many 3D/CAD formats. So if anyone wants these wheels in a different file type, just let me know.

***UPDATE:

First of all, many thanks to @supertruper1988 for hosting these files on Brick Train Depot!

Secondly, I have ordered some XXL wheels so I can take my own measurements and make a more precise model. I should have the wheels by mid April and have the new files made soon after.

Unfinished_Projects

Edited by Unfinished_Projects

Sorry, I'm late to the party. Are these wheels available to get from somewhere?

Thanks anyway. Found them!!

Edited by 1963maniac

6 hours ago, Jeffinslaw said:

Thanks a TON for these!

You're welcome! 

17 minutes ago, 1963maniac said:

Are these wheels available to get from somewhere

Yes, they were originally designed by @Shupp and can be purchased here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/shupp-s-brick-train-stuff but beware, they are quite pricey.

Unfinished_Projects

Can someone run me through actually adding these to the LDRAW Parts Directory?  The directory's not even showing up in my folders...

4 hours ago, Minh_Kha_N said:

Can someone run me through actually adding these to the LDRAW Parts Directory?

For Studio 2.0 on Windows the process is as follows:

1) Go to Program Files > Studio 2.0 > ldraw

2) Add a folder called Custom Parts

3) Inside Custom Parts add a folder called Parts

The final path should be: Program Files > Studio 2.0 > ldraw > Custom Parts > Parts

This is where the new .dat files will go

4) In Studio 2.0 there is a drop down option that says Master Parts.  Change this to Custom Parts to see added parts

Hope this helps

Unifinished_Projects

8 hours ago, Unfinished_Projects said:

For Studio 2.0 on Windows the process is as follows:

1) Go to Program Files > Studio 2.0 > ldraw

2) Add a folder called Custom Parts

3) Inside Custom Parts add a folder called Parts

The final path should be: Program Files > Studio 2.0 > ldraw > Custom Parts > Parts

This is where the new .dat files will go

4) In Studio 2.0 there is a drop down option that says Master Parts.  Change this to Custom Parts to see added parts

Hope this helps

Unifinished_Projects

I'm using MLCAD...would you recommend a switch to Studio?

57 minutes ago, Unfinished_Projects said:

Nothing wrong with MLCAD, the instructions for adding Unofficial parts can be found here: http://www.holly-wood.it/mlcad/unofficial1-en.html

Unfinished_Projects

I found them sort of unclear, but I may try StudIO.  Many builders I know use it, and they seem to hold it in high favor.  More modern compared to MLCAD too, I assume?

But in any case, I couldn't find the Parts directory in the MLCAD root folder, which is a little odd given that all the parts display in the program...

8 hours ago, Minh_Kha_N said:

Does Studio allow for illegal connections?  How's control over flex tubing?

Yes it can allow illegal connections. I have it set up so w, a, s, d on the keyboard controls up left down right. Allows for easy fine tuning of part placement. I have not used flex tubing much yet.

11 hours ago, Minh_Kha_N said:

, I couldn't find the Parts directory in the MLCAD root folder

I just tried to find it. It seems they have the parts in standard document section rather than in program files. 

Unfinished_Projects

Anyone who's used these succesfully, how did you connect the wheels?  I can't get the axle holes to align with the axles in Stud.io

You have to use the translate arrows to get them to line up. there is no snapping data. If you are familiar with the part designer app that is also put out by bricklink then you can add that data in.