dgherko

Bricklink crowd project castle

I am over the moon with the response (in cold hard cash) for the crowd project castle.  I eagerly await my copy and hope the lego group is paying attention to the desire for such a product.

I do have a concern that so many orders is going to tax the entire secondary market.  1200 plus units would require that many sets of minifigs and accessories.

That concern aside, again hello lego company if a AFOL site can generate that much in sales, in a post market kit, it is time to ramp up  a new line... get on it.

Why would it tax the secondary market? These kits will be made with bricks sourced from Lego not the secondary market. 

Good.  Guess I missed that part when I first looked at the page.  Too excited about a castle.  Then TLG will been keenly aware of the popularity of that set and might be spurred into positive castle actions.

On 3/28/2019 at 12:09 AM, dgherko said:

Good.  Guess I missed that part when I first looked at the page.  Too excited about a castle.  Then TLG will been keenly aware of the popularity of that set and might be spurred into positive castle actions.

It might go the other way though. BL had to limit the numbers to 2500 per set, and so far the Castle even though the most popular has just reached about half that (currently 1478 sets sold, but 1244 backers). From the language being used, it seems BL thought these would sell out quickly. There was an initial rush, but it seems to have died down now.

"It depends. If a set sells out completely during crowdfunding, it would not be available during the sales period (April 15 through June)."

"Yes. A maximum of 2500 copies of each set will be sold. We anticipate several designs will sell out before the end of the sales period or even the pre-order phase, so we encourage potential customers to place their orders sooner than later."

BL has a very large AFOL userbase, and unless the rate of orders really picks up, it is sending mixed messages. In particular, it is sending the message that AFOLs do now want smaller castle style sets like these:

895994.jpg888631.jpg

However, even the big castle has not yet sold it's allocation of 2500 sets. If it remains that way, the message is bad for Castle.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

It might go the other way though. BL had to limit the numbers to 2500 per set, and so far the Castle even though the most popular has just reached about half that (currently 1478 sets sold, but 1244 backers). From the language being used, it seems BL thought these would sell out quickly. There was an initial rush, but it seems to have died down now.

"It depends. If a set sells out completely during crowdfunding, it would not be available during the sales period (April 15 through June)."

"Yes. A maximum of 2500 copies of each set will be sold. We anticipate several designs will sell out before the end of the sales period or even the pre-order phase, so we encourage potential customers to place their orders sooner than later."

BL has a very large AFOL userbase, and unless the rate of orders really picks up, it is sending mixed messages. In particular, it is sending the message that AFOLs do now want smaller castle style sets like these:

895994.jpg888631.jpg

However, even the big castle has not yet sold it's allocation of 2500 sets. If it remains that way, the message is bad for Castle.

Well, there are four things to consider here.

• First, I think the number of people who are aware of these sets is exceedingly limited. Yes, Bricklink is a marvelous tool, but the people who purchase from it probably represent only a fraction of Lego consumers worldwide - I daresay not even close to one-percent of Lego customers have ever heard of it.
  • Second, shelling out $200 for a set isn't something everyone can just do on a whim. I know that I had to think about it for a bit before I committed.
  • Third, the castle is leading the buying, so I don't think that's exactly a negative comment on the theme's enduring popularity. As far as this sale is concerned, in fact, I'd say it's doing really well. 
  • Finally, there's this: the two sets you linked above? They suck. They're of almost laughable utility - the microscale crowd is an extreme minority even amongst AFOLs. And the second set, while very pretty, isn't "castle" anything - it's a bridge and an arch. I mean, seriously: what are people supposed to do with that? It's a lovely little vignette, yes - but where does it fit into my needs as a consumer? If I required a scene like that, it would by necessity be a part of a larger design, and - in that case - I would be crafting it to meet my individual needs.

I'll be honest: I think the committee (or whoever made the selections) behind the Bricklink crowdfund program did an absolutely horrendous job. Almost half the sets represented are useless, artistic "le garbage." Lego is way, WAY too expensive for large groups of people to want to throw away money on something like this:

jfjRvmD.jpg

Or this:

et2do5W.jpg

Or this:

ppRqQwX.jpg

I am not criticizing the original creators' skills (which are, in all cases, strong) or vision - I'm questioning where the heck the buyers are to purchase these sets on a macro scale. 

There's a reason why the two leading sets are the castle and the saloon, and it has everything to do with the popularity of the associated themes and their ability to be easily incorporated into current collections. A giant Lego-brick-turned-house, or a blonde girl about to eat a bird (YES, THAT IS WHAT SHE'S DOING) does not fall under that umbrella. 

Edited by ProvenceTristram

On 3/29/2019 at 1:21 PM, ProvenceTristram said:

Well, there are four things to consider here.

• First, I think the number of people who are aware of these sets is exceedingly limited. Yes, Bricklink is a marvelous tool, but the people who purchase from it probably represent only a fraction of Lego consumers worldwide - I daresay not even close to one-percent of Lego customers have ever heard of it.
  • Second, shelling out $200 for a set isn't something everyone can just do on a whim. I know that I had to think about it for a bit before I committed.
  • Third, the castle is leading the buying, so I don't think that's exactly a negative comment on the theme's enduring popularity. As far as this sale is concerned, in fact, I'd say it's doing really well. 
  • Finally, there's this: the two sets you linked above? They suck. They're of almost laughable utility - the microscale crowd is an extreme minority even amongst AFOLs. And the second set, while very pretty, isn't "castle" anything - it's a bridge and an arch. I mean, seriously: what are people supposed to do with that? It's a lovely little vignette, yes - but where does it fit into my needs as a consumer? If I required a scene like that, it would by necessity be a part of a larger design, and - in that case - I would be crafting it to meet my individual needs.

1. I agree, although I imagine many AFOLs (the ones wanting traditional castle to come back) do know about Bricklink, or have some knowledge about the BL sets through other websites.

2. It is the same with an official set. Personally, I wouldn't pay $200 for the one on BL.

3. (and 4.) I agree it is probably the best of a crap bunch, along with the western saloon. Not that I think it is a crap MOC for the given palette of parts, but just a crap set.  But which themes popularity? Castle? Architecture? This is billed as a historically accurate castle, so it is close to Architecture too. But the build in the Clovershire Castle is just as close to traditional sets from Classic Castle as this one is (aside from the description). So that also gives the impression of Castle not being so popular.

Personally, I don't think LEGO will take any notice of how well (or not) these designs do, at least in the sense of changing their own product line based on the orders at BL.

9 hours ago, MAB said:

1. I agree, although I imagine many AFOLs (the ones wanting traditional castle to come back) do know about Bricklink, or have some knowledge about the BL sets through other websites.

2. It is the same with an official set. Personally, I wouldn't pay $200 for the one on BL.

3. (and 4.) I agree it is probably the best of a crap bunch, along with the western saloon. Not that I think it is a crap MOC for the given palette of parts, but just a crap set.  But which themes popularity? Castle? Architecture? This is billed as a historically accurate castle, so it is close to Architecture too. But the build in the Clovershire Castle is just as close to traditional sets from Classic Castle as this one is (aside from the description). So that also gives the impression of Castle not being so popular.

Personally, I don't think LEGO will take any notice of how well (or not) these designs do, at least in the sense of changing their own product line based on the orders at BL.

I think it's funny that they rattle on about it being historically accurate, because, best I can tell, there isn't a whole heck of a lot left of the real deal to compare it to:

n3COJ72.jpg

pSZePeK.jpg

I couldn't find anything by Googling "Wiederaufbau Burg Löwenstein" - there don't appear to be any drawings floating around as to what the castle actually looked like. All I see is a round(ed) tower, and then a gatehouse... so he seems to have largely gotten those things correct, but... eh?

What I appreciate about the set - and the reason I bought it - is that it looks reasonably similar to an actual, official Lego creation. And even though I prefer much more extensive MOCs (including my own - I'm working on designing a castle right now that will probably wind up being appallingly large when all is said and done), for someone of extremely limited means, this seemed like a good compromise to display some minifigs.

16 hours ago, MAB said:

Not exactly in this case. 

Even with free shipping there's still like €55 (34%) added from just VAT and Import taxes for my country, that might play a role for others as well.

I don't purchase official sets from overseas either:shrug_oh_well:

Edited by TeriXeri

7 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Even with free shipping there's still like €55 (34%) added from just VAT and Import taxes for my country, that might play a role for others as well.

Yes, I wouldn't buy it with VAT added on, but then I wouldn't buy it if it was $200 all in. I think there is better value in official LEGO sets.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

Yes, I wouldn't buy it with VAT added on, but then I wouldn't buy it if it was $200 all in. I think there is better value in official LEGO sets.

That too indeed.

14 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

$200 : 1.05(dollar rate) +21%(tax) +€13(poasstnl handling) = 243.50

no way i'm gonna pay that for just a castle that is an historical hoax that never existed.
I put it aside (still 203.5 to go for 42100)

Edited by coinoperator

19 hours ago, coinoperator said:

$200 : 1.05(dollar rate) +21%(tax) +€13(poasstnl handling) = 243.50

no way i'm gonna pay that for just a castle that is an historical hoax that never existed.
I put it aside (still 203.5 to go for 42100)

Something existed there. I mean, the above photos are not a lie. It was definitely a castle. I'm just not sure that when the description rattles on about historical accuracy that that's necessarily truthful.

It got the round tower and the gatehouse right. As far as I know, everything else is fantasy. But maybe the original creator has access to information that I don't? For all I know, there's some little model displayed at those ruins that shows how the thing once looked, and maybe he's spot-on.

4 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

Something existed there. I mean, the above photos are not a lie. It was definitely a castle. I'm just not sure that when the description rattles on about historical accuracy that that's necessarily truthful.

It got the round tower and the gatehouse right. As far as I know, everything else is fantasy. But maybe the original creator has access to information that I don't? For all I know, there's some little model displayed at those ruins that shows how the thing once looked, and maybe he's spot-on.

Thats what I mean
They pimped a socalled "living tower" as more seen in the middle ages,
Some of these grew over time to castles, some just are just a pile of rubbish now with a sign.
Here and there this rubbish is restored, Löwenstein is one of them.
No problem whatever but I don't like that lie about historicall accuracy.

UHM (giggle)
Didn't they mixed it up with Wolfenstein :-)

I don't think the builder of this castle meant to imply that it's a historically accurate recreation of a particular castle in Lowenstein.  I think he meant that it's a historically accurate interpretation of a generic European or German castle of the High Middle Ages, insofar as the architecture and furnishings are plausible.  I think he just liked the name Lowenstein.

2 hours ago, icm said:

I don't think the builder of this castle meant to imply that it's a historically accurate recreation of a particular castle in Lowenstein.  I think he meant that it's a historically accurate interpretation of a generic European or German castle of the High Middle Ages, insofar as the architecture and furnishings are plausible.  I think he just liked the name Lowenstein.

He did a really good job for such a small model. I think the back section adds a ton to the presentation. While I love interior details and include them constantly myself, the stock castle does look incomplete. Adding the rear section turns it into a superb little structure.

I have just completed the build of my version of Lowenstein castle. I was building it according to the available pictures, first in studio.io and then in real. I must say that the castle is really wonderful and the build is far from to be said boring. It is a series of many types of interesting SNOT techniques and tricks. And these are only the tricks that I was able to discover from the pictures, as I suppose that the author could use some other and hidden tricks. At some occasions I have made some modifications, the major ones on the main tower where I introduced a little bit smoother surface.

I do not understand the above complaints about the historical (non)accuracy. The author never said that his design should depict an existing castle. His detailed and well illustrated explanation of the project and what he means by historical accuracy can be found here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qw87ftoonifrgyc/AABeH6AtKOsGHyddj3ksc-Bna?dl=0 

About the price. When I saw the price for the first time, it seemed to me too high, especially for EU people (it means me, too), who have to pay all the extra taxes and custom fees. I believed I could build it using my large supply of bricks (about 100.000 of them) with some occasional BL purchases. It appeared later that these occasional purchases cost me almost 100 Eur. (The most expensive were the gothic LBG arches, hundreds of curved slopes, some larger plates, and obviously some rare pieces for room details, and yes, I tried to get also the bricks that will be needed for the extension.) I was very happy that I did not have to buy the most expensive parts, such as BURPs and some panels, or all the stuff needed for making the elevated terrain. So, seen from my own recent experience, the 199 USD price tag is not that high, especially for US AFOLs.

On 4/8/2019 at 1:46 AM, Jonas said:

I do not understand the above complaints about the historical (non)accuracy. The author never said that his design should depict an existing castle. His detailed and well illustrated explanation of the project and what he means by historical accuracy can be found here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qw87ftoonifrgyc/AABeH6AtKOsGHyddj3ksc-Bna?dl=0 

I agree with this. The designer even said in his "Comprehensive Guide to Lowenstein Castle" linked above that the name Lowenstein came from the lion stone (part 30274) used above the main gate of the inner keep. Lowenstein is literally "lion stone" in German, and he named it Lowenstein because the lion stone part 30274 was his favorite Lego piece when he was a child.

The castle is NOT meant to be a replica of an existing (or previously existing) castle. It IS however meant to contain features (compartmentalized defensive structures, thunderbox, draw bridge, etc.) that would be authentic to castles from the middle ages. The designer even went into details in his guide linked above regarding where his inspirations come from. 

I pre-ordered two Löwenstein Castles with the plan to make the "expanded" full version with the extra parts required. Despite not being based on an actual castle, it still looks great and worth the purchase for me.

It reached 2074 order this afternoon. I put in my second after thinking to put the two back to back and on display next to the Disney castle

As I wrote earlier in this thread, I built my own version of the wonderful Lowenstein castle. Its author, Raziel Regulus, has my deep respect. I spent more then 1 month to discover - from his pictures - most of his building techniques and tricks. Although, sometimes I decided to go my own way.

Here is a picture of the final model.

c02m.jpg

More pictures can be found in my Brickshelf gallery.

I heard they began shipping castle.  Has anyone received theirs yet?  Would love any comments on it.  I think its great but was not able to get it in time and got waitlisted.  

Got my two castle today.  Amazing.  Wish the torsos would have been castle themed, but not a complaint.