Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Log Pieces vs. Regular Bricks

Most Wild West Lego enthusiasts will recognize the distinctive brown log brick that came in 1x2s and a 1x4s, in most Wild West sets. I've been building with a collection of these bricks from the WW sets as well as a moderate collection of regular brown bricks that I picked up in Legoland.

My question; for those of you who build with both types of brown pieces, do you find that log pieces looks better in MOCs. This question is specific to Wild West, Adventurers, Vikings, and other historic MOCs.

Do log pieces add an element of detail? Do they really look like logs, since they are vertical vs. horizontal? Or do regular brown pieces achieve the same thing?

Discuss your opinion of Lego Logs here.

I am all for the logs myself. I may not be a western builder, but I can relate it to something I do use. It's like saying if there is a difference between the 1x2 'vented' bricks or the 1x2 normal flat bricks, when trying to make a vented area.

Yes, it is noticeable to me.

Edited by Brickmaster

It depends on what your building, if I was building a fort that I wanted it to look like it was made of logs then I would want to use the log pieces because regular brown bricks look like stone IMO. I think log pieces do give the allusion of logs because of the circularish shape, which can make a big difference. The regular brown bricks I would use to construct a stone fort because they look stoneish, I wouldn't use the log pieces to create stone walls, and vice versa.

Do log pieces add an element of detail? Do they really look like logs, since they are vertical vs. horizontal? Or do regular brown pieces achieve the same thing?

I like them, I just don't use them much. I've been building up a supply for a while, both in tan and brown, and am starting to experiment with using them in unusual places. I've used tan ones as building decoration before, usually in a stack on either side of a window casement or some such, sometimes in proximity to those lion head decorations. So they even have a place in modular building.

Honestly, I wish they were horizontal, I know I'd use more of them. As they are, it limits them to specific uses that don't come up much for me, but when you need a vertical log, they're the only way to go.

Matter of fact, here is an example of someone else's work that I've always been particularly fond of. I considered making something similar, replacing those 1x1 round bricks and studs under the bar with tan logs. Try to visualize how well that will work.

tiki_bar.jpg

So, bottom line: when you need them, they're great to have. Wish there was a horizontal equivalent.

I love the log pieces and think they look fantastic for log detailing in Viking or Wild West sets. I love them so much I used a heap for my Post=Apoc fortress:

p1220512.jpg

And I think it came out great.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Cant really argue with Batbrick looking at that sweet fortress!

Im only new to building Mocs but im already a fan of detailed bricks like the logs and vents

Special Bricks On! :classic:

I love them! about half of my sigfig's house is made of them and other half with normal brikcs, but it would look munch better wiht ONLY log pieces. I just haven't got so many of them.... sad.

Interesting points. I love the Tiki Bar BTW!

I find that when I use the log pieces, they really add a nice quality of detail to the design. I was building a small ranch house yesterday, and couldn't figure out why I didn't like it. I used regular brown pieces. Perhaps I'll rebuild with log pieces and take a picture of each for comparison. Log pieces seem to give structures a more rounded look. Most of my Grave Stone MOCs (Collection 2) used log pieces, and I really liked the final product.

Here's a shot of the Whispering Windmill, one of my more favorite MOCs that use log pieces.

31.jpg

PS. I lik your fort as well Batbrick.

They are good to make log structures, but they're not so well designed...

Because when logs pieces (as seen from above) that go horizontal and vertical meet, the corners aren't logs, because the side of the log pieces aren't round but straight as normal bricks :sceptic:

TT

It really irritates me that they are vertical. :thumbdown: I don't know why Lego didn't make horizontal log bricks.

I do like to use them for accenting. The tans greys and blacks can also be used mixed in with regular bricks to make stone walls look worn. Or you can mix the brown ones with regular brown bricks to make a cobbled together wooden structure.

Steve

Yeah, I also would have preferred horizontal ones, and also a 1*1 log piece. Did they make them in sizes other than 1*2, 1*4, and the "castle wall"?

I agree about the lack of horizontal log pieces and how in reality most houses and what not where logs felled and laid horizontal. But IMO i don't think the Viking fortress would look as good as it did without the log walls and pieces. Just a simple piece and yet the entire look and feel of something can be changed. What about doing some SNOT with the logs and seeing what that would look like?

Yeah, I also would have preferred horizontal ones, and also a 1*1 log piece. Did they make them in sizes other than 1*2, 1*4, and the "castle wall"?

They only made those three that you mentioned. Though a 1x1 round brick can be used, without much noticable difference.

I agree about the lack of horizontal log pieces and how in reality most houses and what not where logs felled and laid horizontal. But IMO i don't think the Viking fortress would look as good as it did without the log walls and pieces. Just a simple piece and yet the entire look and feel of something can be changed. What about doing some SNOT with the logs and seeing what that would look like?
On the other hand, the vertical logs are good for palisade walls.

I do like them for palisade walls. They also work well for the Viking Fortress. It just seems funny to me that they'd make vertical log pieces for a theme that just screamed out for horizontal ones. Never tried to SNOT them.

Steve

I don't use them that much, since I don't have a lot of them, but I do like them. They work fairly nice as a wooden wall, but it is also great that they break up the wall a bit, instead of having one big flat brown/tan wall.

As for horizontal log bricks, they couldn't stay within the 1x2 or 1x4 surface, they would have to purtrude to the front/back, because otherwise you couldn't place it on studs. But if you have it that way, you can't build they wall right up to another wall. It would be messing with the regular lego dimensions of bricks/plates. They could use something along the lines of the headlight brick, but then you would have a flat edge in between rows of bricks.

Edited by Fluyt

PS. I lik your fort as well Batbrick.

Thankyou TheBrickster, I love that Windmill :wub:

I do think that there really should be horizontal ones too, but I find the vertical log pieces would be more useful. I'd actually love, seeing as the new Castle Orcs are like the Vikings, a tall log defense tower as their "castle" sometime in the future. The upcoming elves will hopefully have forest based sets, so I think some log pieces there will work fantastically too, and civilian/peasant sets could benefit from them. Then you have lines like Indy and Adventurers, the temple and ruins in those could benefit from brown, tan, or grey log pieces.

I would also agree with you that they seem to give them a more rounded look, which is why I plan to use them for future mocs.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

They definatly make a differance for me. When you make a WW MOC, the lgo bricks help give it a sense of time. If you wnat a MOC to look like it was built in the time of the pioneers, then you would use log bricks because logs are what the eraly setlers used to build there houses. So it definatly makes a differance.

I have to agree with those of you who said that the log piece would have looked better horizontal. I wonder why Lego did not go that direction (no pun intended)? The grooved 1x2 has vertical on one side, horizontal on the other. Perhaps Lego could have done something similar with the log.

I have to agree with those of you who said that the log piece would have looked better horizontal. I wonder why Lego did not go that direction (no pun intended)? The grooved 1x2 has vertical on one side, horizontal on the other. Perhaps Lego could have done something similar with the log.

I guess Lego went with what we have now is because they were mostly used in forts and such, which used vertical pieces of wood. Now, if they had made some log cabins...

I myself like these unique log pieces. I'm using them for something!

I have none of them as spare parts. All the ones I have are used for the sets they came with. :sad: But I find log pieces nice. I would love to build a mountain under which my trains can go through. I'd like to build the mountain with old dark grey bricks plus an Alpine hut with log bricks on it! :wub: So for some buildings log bricks are better than normal bricks. I couldn't imagine building such an Alpine hut without log pieces.

I absolutely love em.

When I just became an afol. I bought about 400 of them of BL. i love to use them in my houses and wagons and stuff.

overview2.jpg

2457898054_1e120a09d1_o.jpg

517566916_aa562269a7.jpg

Those are some of my own work.