Sebeus I

HMS Marianne - 20 gun sloop

Gentlemen, Ladies, I present to you my latest ship!

img_8294.png

She may not look like much but actually that was kind of the Idea. She has been engaged into a serious battle and took some severe damage, it is unlikely she'll make it. Originally I wanted to build a new version of my LEGO Ideas ship but with a more neutral color scheme and some other changes (I deleted the forecastle). However, with all the battle damage and fragile fire plumes it doesn't work well as a play set.  Ever since I entered the Colossal Battle contest together with Captain Greenhair, I've been wanting to build a proper battle-damaged ship.

img_8306.png

I recycled some elements, including the name, from one of my earlier ships (HMS Marianne).

Which reminds me that I need to thank Legostone for the dark red cannon ports.

img_8316.png

img_8281.png

img_8353.png

There's no interior but I did add an interesting feature;

(Youtube)

img_8338.png

Now that this ship is finished I have the feeling that I didn't go far enough, There's definitely more potential to create a more believable battle-damaged ship.

img_8344.png

img_8347.png

img_8341.png

I also have some pictures from its appearance at LegoWorld;

46355791655_607fcd099b_c.jpg

As you can see it has just received a full broadside from the Flying Dutchman.

I might add some sails later, I don't know yet, they'll have to be ripped and battle-damaged as well, perhaps they even need to be on fire...

I hope you like it.

I've started on a sister ship, one for LEGO Ideas, as was the original intent for this one. It's going to be unharmed and slightly different, according to some feedback on my current Ideas project I picked up here and there. I'll be using the new type hull pieces for instant, which does complicate things. You see I can't just transfer this design onto a new hull, a hull built using new prefab pieces happens to be 2 studs longer than one with old ones. Also, there exists no stern section in the new prefabs which means I'll have to brick-build one of my own. 

Fortunately I had some practice with some previous ships (Beatrix / Raging Fire).

Oh and don't forget to support my Ideas projects!

Edited by Sebeus I

1 hour ago, Sebeus I said:

might add some sails later, I don't know yet, they'll have to be ripped and battle-damaged as well, perhaps they even need to be on fire...

Great looking ship! As for having the sails on fire, it might be possible to put a small container of alcohol inside the ship with the sails acting as a wick...just make sure you extinguish it before all the alcohol is consumed! :devil_laugh: On second thought, you probably weren't thinking of actual fire...

Molto bello ... mi piace molto come hai creato il fuoco a poppa;)

quell'olandese volante è spaventoso !!!: Pir-cry_sad:

Edited by peppe1983

Awesome ship, nice explosions and damage effects. I like how captain is cold and marine behind him is in panic.

Terrific attention to detail here. I like the smashed quarter where I take it a cannon ball was deflected? So much for ol' ironsides :laugh:

This ships is a great inspiration for those of us who cannot build 10,000 part ships (I'm looking at you, CGH :wink:)

MAC

Wow, the smoke on the stern view picture looks very good. Guess that is where our brain's appetite for fractals comes into play, automatically converting the information of rather huge but well placed bricks into small details.