Swan Dutchman

[MOC] Red Five X-wing starfighter

28 minutes ago, Rubblemaker said:

Looks like you borrowed quite a lot of ideas from Jeracs X wing moc. Looks very similar actually.

Agreed, just like the TIE Fighter. :) Some parts have been improved while for others I prefer Jeracs. Nice job though! :)

Edited by danielwerner

1 hour ago, Swan Dutchman said:

Well, obviously an X-wing is an X-wing and cannot be anything else than an X-wing :sceptic:

What I mean to say is that there are so many cool LEGO X-wings to be found on the internet (and not just only Jerac's which is cool) it's pretty much impossible to build a 'new' X-wing at this scale.

Well, maybe. But Jerac managed to build a new X wing at this scale. And to be honest, yours looks like a very lightly modded version of his moc, as did the tie fighter. Personally, I think you should credit him, but what do I know? I’m sure you put a lot of work into it and this style of x wing is a really nice looking one. 

Edited by Rubblemaker

30 minutes ago, bricksmarlin said:

if he says it's not a direct copy I'm sure we can trust him!

But it is. I mean, you only have to look at them side by side to see they look practically identical. It doesn’t take much effort. I’m not disputing he can create wonderful original creations of his own, just disputing that this is one of them. And you need to be acting wilfully blind not to see it. But anyway, it’s just my opinion. And it’s still a nice looking X wing.

Inthert's was built before Jerac's, so you can go back and forth on credit all day long. 

Looks great, especially the wings. 

13 hours ago, Swan Dutchman said:

What I mean to say is that there are so many cool LEGO X-wings to be found on the internet (and not just only Jerac's which is cool) it's pretty much impossible to build a 'new' X-wing at this scale.

Well, I did. :D
Aside from wings and engines which are pretty darn impossible to innovate on, and believe me, I tried. 

As for crediting, it is nice, but is it mandatory? I believe it is best to leave it for the author to decide. After all, the line between "mod" and "new" is a blurry one and what might be "new" to somebody is just a "mod" to someone else. Personally, if a build of mine would not happen without build of somebody else - like Atlas, Cehnot and Inthert whose builds I deeply investigated before designing my own x-wing platform - then I credit them.

I'm really liking this one, and I've seen a lot of X wings. Unfortunately the best I can do is modding the official set but that's more than enough for me

Another file I will be saving for my revamped x-wing. I may be stealing  the side panel idea and somehow incorporate it into my 2.0 model. 

Hi..thank you for your mocs!!! Is there a problem with the rebrickable page? The page could not be found

2 hours ago, Swan Dutchman said:

Thank you very much! That's right. I deactivated this MOC on Rebrickable by request of BrickVault. The 3D model is no longer publicly available.

*huh* 

I do see some similarities between yours and Jerac's, the guns, and engines for example, but the fuselage looks notably different (his design looks better in some areas and your's in other places).  

Though, I suppose I understand their means to capitalize on their X-Wing (and X-Wing MOCs in general) by avoiding anything to deter potential buyers, with a very similar product available by another party. 

So… :shrug_confused:

Anyway, the striping on the wings look the finest I ever saw on a LEGO X-Wing—it cannot get better than this! :thumbup:

Edited by LiLmeFromDaFuture

Speaking from experience in building an X-wing, the outsides can look very similar but the shaping internal structure can very quite a bit, so you can't really tell easily how similar models are unless you look at the insides too. On my X-wing I used a very different, Technic based skeleton compared to most other folks, though the outside looks relatively similar.