Sign in to follow this  
Stash2Sixx

LUG Boxcar Swap

I keep seeing all these great boxcar builds on Flickr, Eurobricks, and Facebook and I think how great it would be to have a few on my LUG's layout. So, I'm proposing a LUG boxcar swap.

The idea is to create a boxcar for your LUG and have extras to trade with other LUGs at shows and conventions.  Way back in the day, there was something similar called the container swap.  LUGs (or members) designed a unique container that fit on the LEGO TTX cars and they had extras to swap with others.  This project is a little bit larger in scale than the containers, but pretty much the same principle.  You design your boxcars and have the decals created for your LUG.  A few places I can suggest for decals are either OKBrickWorks or Maci's Monograms; both make quality decals and are willing to work with their customers.  If you decide that you only want to swap decals, that's fine as well, as long as both parties agree.  The main idea here is to create some diversity on our layouts and to foster a feeling of community.

My suggested choice of boxcar is the BMR Pullman Standard PS-1 40' boxcar.  It fits into any time frame and is fairly simple to add lots of customization.

I've already started this with PENNLUG as you can see in the picture below. I have one almost ready for LUG PERU and am working on a car for CINCY LUG as well.  Hopefully I'll have these ready in about a week for Nebraska Brick Days.  Suggestions, thoughts, ideas, comments...interest...feel free to add!

32261279177_943323cee2_z.jpg

32261264517_0ab8ac6e85_z.jpg

16 minutes ago, Matt Dawson said:

I'm still waiting to see if we (Brick Central LUG) are participating. I might prod the ambassador.

Please, PROD!!! Would love to get some UK items on the layout!

Hoping to swap a car or two at NBD next weekend so I'll be sure to update flickr/facebook/eurobricks with a pic or two of where the swap is at.

Something fun I've been doing for all of the people who get the decals from me (OKBrickWorks) is give every boxcar a unique number. Would be neat to see a bunch of them in a row at an event like BrickWorld.

Sounds like an excellent idea! Most model train clubs I know of do something similar, and I have a few of the club specific box cars that are around the area sitting in my HO collection.

Edited by Kintobor

7 hours ago, legoman666 said:

Something fun I've been doing for all of the people who get the decals from me (OKBrickWorks) is give every boxcar a unique number. Would be neat to see a bunch of them in a row at an event like BrickWorld.

So you're saying I need to get my OKBrickworks car built? ?

Cale

18 hours ago, Cale said:

So you're saying I need to get my OKBrickworks car built? ?

Cale

Yep, and it better be sand blue too!

7 hours ago, legoman666 said:

Yep, and it better be sand blue too!

I thought the OKB car was dark red, and the CincyLUG was sand blue?

Cale

On 3/22/2019 at 4:57 AM, Stash2Sixx said:

My suggested choice of boxcar is the BMR Pullman Standard PS-1 40' boxcar.  It fits into any time frame and is fairly simple to add lots of customization.

The page says it’s out of stock. Presumably that just means the custom bits. How easy is it to build without them?

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:45 AM, Chromeknight said:

The page says it’s out of stock. Presumably that just means the custom bits. How easy is it to build without them?

If you're a whiz at reverse construction, it's possible.  Otherwise, if you wait for the premium instruction sets to come back into stock though, you'll have a MUCH easier time with it.

And no worries, I've got 4 I'm bringing to Brickworld next weekend, 2 of which are already claimed (hopefully @ecmo47 and one from Empire Lug).  I'll try to get a pic of my collection so far next weekend.

And as you are in Australia, I know first hand what shipping is back and forth.  I am willing to just swap the decals so you could build it with your own parts.  And then likewise, I would have you just send the decals to me and I would build it to your color specs.  No rush, I have plenty of decals made, I planned ahead!