astral brick

The disappearance of the mid-range sets

One element that I have noticed, comparing the current sets with the ones of the late 80s and early 90s, is the disappearance of the middle-range models. I remember, for instance, spaceships like Gamma V Laser Craft (6891, 144 pieces) or FX Star Patroller (6931, 239 pieces), quite large hulls considering the number of pieces, with many functions, great playability and, most importantly, after taking them apart, the chance of building the alternate models or create the new ones we had in mind. Summarizing, the quintessence of Lego.

Since the Space line doesn’t exist anymore, the immediate comparison would be with Star Wars, however, in relation to the aforementioned number of pieces, I see models, in my opinion overpriced, lacking details or functions (id est – and I stress, as I see it - 75199, made of 157 pieces, or 75214, based on 247 pieces).

For better or for worse, these are probably the implications of SW license. There is no need to design new models starting from zero, because the movies have already established the guidelines, but these savings are counterbalanced by the costs of the license, thus the inherent profits are mandatory. Hence the high prices. Besides, why bothering wasting time and money to conceive alternate models if customers may just buy new sets?

Depending on the point of view, a virtuous or a vicious circle, whose main feature is way too underestimated. As a matter of fact, the lack of middle-range models at reasonable prices implies that a child, who expresses his imagination through affordable models, will struggle to find sets that could suit his needs when growing up, unless having a family with good financial resources.

The middle-range sets represent the necessary step between the basic models and the more sophisticated ones, or maybe the threshold towards the Technic world. And TLC is repeating one of the mistakes that almost led it to the bankruptcy, namely giving up on the generational turnover of its customers, therefore losing potential incomes and reducing its market position.

In the end, the teenager who has stopped building will never become the adult buyer of a Ucs Millennium Falcon or a Bugatti Chiron.

Edited by astral brick
Grammar Mistake

Not sure I share your definition of "mid-range" or some of your other points. These models do exist, the problem is just that a lot of them tend to be extremely unattractive and then of course it becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy - nobody buys, so LEGO do even less of them and instead focus on the higher priced items or the lower end. Quite generally, though, I think one must get away from "the good old times" thinking. The trend of producing more specialized, topical sets is nothing new and the "universal" sets you seem to hint at have long been in decline. In contrast to you I also don't think that today's kids are that much into that kit-bashing stuff of dissolving their models and re-assembling them in ever new forms. That may be true for some, but from my personal experiences it's not really the majority. most kids will be just as happy building based on premade instructions and then play with thse stuff, only incorporating minor modifications and customizations. So while certainly some things with LEGO must be seen from a critical POV such as indeed the ever more exprensive large sets, I think the layer of the market your post aims at is probably really not particularly relevant anymore.

Mylenium

There are many similar models at similar sizes across most themes with great playability. For example:

132 pieces

75235-1.jpg?201812140830

150 pieces

75970-1.jpg?201811021112

148 pieces

60221-1.jpg?201811301044

All can be taken apart and rebuilt / redesigned, but no ideas are given these days as to what else they can be built into. I agree with above though, many kids just want to build the model and keep it complete.

I would say that the very set you cite as a counterexample is a very good example of precisely the kind of set that you claim no longer exists.  In physical bulk and inflation adjusted price, sets like the Jedi Starfighters, Snowspeeders, and generally the $30 flying machines and spaceships from Star Wars and Super Heroes are a very close match for the old midsize spaceships from the classic Space lines.  We can argue about how creative they are all day (the relative merits of licensed and non-licensed lines are a frequent conversation topic on Eurobricks), but I don't think it's reasonable to say that mid-range sets have disappeared.

I think the "absence" you're seeing has more to do with looking for sets that are analogous to a theme that, for better or for worse, isn't directly represented in Lego's current portfolio. The Star Wars theme in particular HAS tended to emphasize bigger sets over time, partly out of a push toward greater accuracy in scale and detail. But there are plenty of other sets that seem comparable to what you're describing.

Like, the aspects of the sets you describe (even the rebuilding aspect, which is omnipresent in Lego but rarely as explicit in its inclusion as in older sets) are all featured in this year's Rex's Rextreme Offroader from the Lego Movie 2 theme and Futuristic Flyer from the Creator theme. And outside of the realm of sci-fi, themes like Ninjago, Speed Champions, and City offer plenty of sets in that same general range of part count and price.

21 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Not sure I share your definition of "mid-range" or some of your other points. These models do exist, the problem is just that a lot of them tend to be extremely unattractive and then of course it becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy - nobody buys, so LEGO do even less of them and instead focus on the higher priced items or the lower end.

Amongst many hobbies, I like hifi and I know where the same self-destructive pattern that I have described in relation to Lego can lead. That's why I feel concerned.

Unlike the past, nowadays it would be technically possible to create a good stereo system without spending a fortune (for example I think of class-t amplifiers, true game changers). However too many brands have decided that it is much more easy to address expensive products to few customers than try to sell low or even mid-range components to a bigger audience. But this strategy works only in the short term, and the final outcome is a small market, inexorably declining because potential new customers can't get past the high entry point. As a consequence many young people will never buy their first true system and will keep believing that listening to an online audio stream - i.e. songs that they don't own - from their cellphones, through overpriced earphones - maybe even wireless - is the best possible way to appreciate music.  

21 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Quite generally, though, I think one must get away from "the good old times" thinking. The trend of producing more specialized, topical sets is nothing new and the "universal" sets you seem to hint at have long been in decline.

I didn't want to go off-topic in my own message but when I was writing it the Technic Universal sets came immediately back to my mind (by the way I am pretty sure I own at least a couple of those sets). I miss that Lego philosophy and if my reasoning implies that I am a nostalgic then yes, I miss "the good old times".

Currently I can only see a (weak) revival of that past spirit in the 3-in-1 Creators sets, which I consider they are mostly addressed to children. Once, in the Lego catalogue, there was a middle step before getting to the flagship models, today I am not so convinced.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:03 AM, astral brick said:

The middle-range sets represent the necessary step between the basic models and the more sophisticated ones, or maybe the threshold towards the Technic world. And TLC is repeating one of the mistakes that almost led it to the bankruptcy, namely giving up on the generational turnover of its customers, therefore losing potential incomes and reducing its market position.

In the end, the teenager who has stopped building will never become the adult buyer of a Ucs Millennium Falcon or a Bugatti Chiron.

How many AFOLs had a "dark age" / break from LEGO at some point in their life? I reckon a very large majority, whether it was early teens / later teens / early adult. Quite a few AFOLs come into / back into the hobby when they have kids and they get to play with their LEGO.

You called 6891 one of these mid-range sets.

6891-1.png

Personally, I thin kthis was aimed at quite a young age. A fairly basic build. I don't see this as a stepping stone between child and adult aimed sets.

There are plenty of sets these days that are aimed at early (12+) and later (16+) teens - these are stepping stone type sets.

19 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I think the "absence" you're seeing has more to do with looking for sets that are analogous to a theme that, for better or for worse, isn't directly represented in Lego's current portfolio.

In my opinion Star Wars license has been the death sentence of the Space line.

I don't know if there are explicit clauses that forbid to sell other pure scifi models or if it is just a market decision to avoid overlapping, but considering the amount of new parts and the amazing level of current building techniques - I think of Jonathan Walker magnificent spaceships' designs - I would like to see in some official set a tiny fraction of what I admire in the Shiptember's competitions.

A couple of days ago, by complete accident, I have stumbled upon Peter Reid's submission in Lego Ideas, and I have immediately supported his marvellous model. Will he succeed? I hope he will, but I can't help asking myself why I have to rely on a probability.

Either new designs or remakes, I think there may still exist a market for the Space theme, and one proof is represented by the general appreciation of Benny's spaceship (70816), in terms of both reviews and sales. But I am afraid that, due to the current Lego's business policy, we will never know.  

19 hours ago, Lyichir said:

[...] and Futuristic Flyer from the Creator theme.

Regarding this matter, please see my reply to Mylenium.

Please, can we not get into the licensing debate again?  The topic title is about midrange sets of transitional skill level.  Please give an example of the set size, skill level, or price point you consider midrange or transitional.  I'm sure we can then point out any number of current sets that fill those criteria.

4 hours ago, astral brick said:

This cannot be true, because in the past 20 years since LEGO started doing SW, we have had a number of space themes.  There have been some great fun sets that I would imagine are mid range in terms of size and difficulty, such as this from Alien Conquest:

7065-1.png

or this from Galaxy Squad:

70705-1.png

And during 2007-2010 there were many Space sets - Space Police, Mars Mission - overlapping with SW.

There hasn't really been as much since 2013, outside of the Classic Space in The Lego Movie. But for a long time LEGO were making in-house space sets. One of the problems with them though was reception - people always complain it is not Classic Space. And if people don't buy, then there is no reason to make more.

Note there was a break 2001-2007. Just like there has been a break 2013-?

On 3/21/2019 at 10:03 AM, astral brick said:

It is also worth pointing out that the people likely to go on to build a UCS MF or the Bugatti when older are likely to have played with smaller and mid-sized Star Wars sets and smaller and mid-sized technic and / or automotive sets when younger.

21 hours ago, MAB said:

How many AFOLs had a "dark age" / break from LEGO at some point in their life?

I never had. I simply didn't care for LEGO until four years ago. I find this "dark age" talk a strange sign of how conservative and reactionary the AFOL scene can be at times as if in the stuffy mist of nostalgia and past times everything was better. It's also not something I would consider specific to LEGO nor could it be pinned to the attractiveness of sets or whatever you want to blame. It's a normal cycle most hobbyists go through of being tired and fed up with their once beloved favourite obsession or not having time, then coming back after they had a respite or sorted out their "other life"...

21 hours ago, astral brick said:

I don't think so. As I've written in several other threads to me those sets never looked attractive to begin with and I'm a sci-fi nerd as much as the next guy. Unless you fill those fictional worlds with rich stories and lore plus truly spend the money and effort on actually cool designs, they go nowhere. And that LEGO are unwilling or unable to go the full mile with their own story-based lines has been proven more often than not - not just for space-themes. It's really the lack of commitment or resources, not because other series exist. That's why Star Wars, despite no longer being the big hit it once may have been, still sort of works. The crafting of the larger universe and the design work are externalized and cost LEGO nothing but a bit of licensing fees and conversely out of self-interest Disney keep pushing LEGO to produce sets to "feed the machine", as it were...

Mylenium

19 hours ago, MAB said:

Note there was a break 2001-2007. Just like there has been a break 2013-?

Yeah, most likely in correlation with the cinematic run of Star Wars' prequel trilogy with the first break, whereas the current absence could be in correlation with the cinematic run of the sequel trilogy (if one were to play along with that line of speculative thought).

3 hours ago, Mylenium said:

I don't think so. As I've written in several other threads to me those sets never looked attractive to begin with and I'm a sci-fi nerd as much as the next guy. Unless you fill those fictional worlds with rich stories and lore plus truly spend the money and effort on actually cool designs, they go nowhere. And that LEGO are unwilling or unable to go the full mile with their own story-based lines has been proven more often than not - not just for space-themes. It's really the lack of commitment or resources, not because other series exist. That's why Star Wars, despite no longer being the big hit it once may have been, still sort of works. The crafting of the larger universe and the design work are externalized and cost LEGO nothing but a bit of licensing fees and conversely out of self-interest Disney keep pushing LEGO to produce sets to "feed the machine", as it were...

Screw the playtheme narrative, all I've ever cared about as both a kid and an adult were the cool-looking set designs, which various in-house Space themes of the 2000's did in fact offer. I mean, I don't need a backstory for me to appreciate others' MOCs. 

And, like as @astral brick, @danth, @LegoMonorailFan, myself, and others have heavily pressed for elsewhere in the past, BRINGING LEGO SPACE TO THE CREATOR THREE-IN-ONE LINE WOULD BE THE MOST SUITABLE COMPROMISE AT THE MOMENT. Seriously, one of the best things about the Creator theme is that all the components of each set are often devoted to a single build, much like others' MOC spacecraft builds. Plus, as opposed to an entire theme, they'd just be one-off sets spread throughout its lineup. Seriously, compared to other playthemes, there's nothing inhibiting the Creator theme from covering any particular subject matter, right? 

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Screw the playtheme narrative, all I've ever cared about as both a kid and an adult were the cool-looking set designs, which various in-house Space themes of the 2000's did in fact offer. I mean, I don't need a backstory for me to appreciate others' MOCs.

Yes/ no/ perhaps. Not sure. I like a certain kind of stylishness which those sets never seem to have achieved. It's all about a consistent design philosophy and I think it helps if you have a full backstory to go with it, especially when you have longer-term plans for your series...

Mylenium

11 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I do agree with you.

11 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

And, like as @astral brick, @danth, @LegoMonorailFan, myself, and others have heavily pressed for elsewhere in the past, BRINGING LEGO SPACE TO THE CREATOR THREE-IN-ONE LINE WOULD BE THE MOST SUITABLE COMPROMISE AT THE MOMENT.

This is a very interesting suggestion.

20 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Yes/ no/ perhaps. Not sure. I like a certain kind of stylishness which those sets never seem to have achieved. It's all about a consistent design philosophy and I think it helps if you have a full backstory to go with it, especially when you have longer-term plans for your series...

Oh sure, there are definitely many benefits to the typical modern playtheme set over sets built around a singular build; but, my comment on narrative was only a segue into my point regarding how I feel about Creator expanding their horizons as far as subject matter goes. Just look back at the Creator Three-In-One line's past offerings over the years, and you can see how woefully underutilized the theme is. 

11 hours ago, astral brick said:

This is a very interesting suggestion.

Why such a thing hasn't happened for the Three-In-One line is beyond me, as Creator keeps on recycling various particular subject matters for years on end with only a trickle of progress beyond their conceptual retreads. Suburban houses, dinosaurs, robots, cars, motorcycles, animals aircraft, dragons; where's all the sci-fi spacecraft, medieval architecture, mecha, lost ruins, treasure islands, airships, and other fantastical ideas that exist beyond the confines of what the City theme would encompass?

Again, being one of Lego's most boundless themes, Creator has so much potential! And yet... :def_shrug:

They have brought (semi realistic) SPACE into the 3-in-1 sets in the past (or presently). For example, the space shuttle is the main model in these sets.0

31091-1.png

31066-1.png

However, these compete with a whole host of other styles of model in the 3-in-1s, and I think kids are more into cars and planes than they are into space. However, there is this set where (fantasy) space is not the primary model, but the second one clearly caters for kids into spaceships.

31086-1.png

Edited by MAB

52 minutes ago, MAB said:

They have brought (semi realistic) SPACE into the 3-in-1 sets in the past (or presently). For example, the space shuttle is the main model in these sets.0

However, these compete with a whole host of other styles of model in the 3-in-1s, and I think kids are more into cars and planes than they are into space. However, there is this set where (fantasy) space is not the primary model, but the second one clearly caters for kids into spaceships.

Oh indeed, I am well aware of those exceptional incidents of such, hints of potential progress for the theme which I'm desperately welcoming of! But, when you compare that to other themes' evolution, Creator seems a lot more cautious/hesitant to push that envelope. Looking at many of City's more recent "exploration" subthemes, they look to stretch the context of their theme more than Creator does. And seriously, what context is Creator operating on anyway?! For a theme that shouldn't necessarily be held back by any such contextual boundaries, something seems to be holding them back. :look:

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Oh sure, there are definitely many benefits to the typical modern playtheme set over sets built around a singular build; but, my comment on narrative was only a segue into my point regarding how I feel about Creator expanding their horizons as far as subject matter goes. Just look back at the Creator Three-In-One line's past offerings over the years, and you can see how woefully underutilized the theme is.

I agree that the 3in1 them is painfully underdeveloped and underutilized to cover gaps in LEGO's portfolio in other series, but I'm once more not sure if this is how things actually should be. In my view it still doesn't negate the need and want for consistently designed other series like e.g. a sci-fi/ space theme. Being thrown occasional bits is just as unsatisfying...

Mylenium

2 hours ago, Mylenium said:

I agree that the 3in1 them is painfully underdeveloped and underutilized to cover gaps in LEGO's portfolio in other series, but I'm once more not sure if this is how things actually should be. In my view it still doesn't negate the need and want for consistently designed other series like e.g. a sci-fi/ space theme. Being thrown occasional bits is just as unsatisfying...

I'm not at all suggesting that it'd be a permanent solution to the problem, only that it'd act as a hold-over for such until the time is ripe to release an entire playtheme. That's the role I feel Creator should act upon to some degree, not necessarily as their sole purpose, but to occasionally be the playset equivalent of Lego's non-licensed Collectable Minifigure line. Think about it, even sets based upon concepts, genres, and tropes that would otherwise maybe never receive an entire playtheme could be all possible as one-off products under the Creator Three-In-One line, much akin to many generic CMFs we've seen over the years. :classic:

It seems to me that a lot of the "lack" of mid-range sets as expressed in the initial post is specifically due to how it defines "mid-range" based on piece count rather than other factors like price. Sets today often have considerably higher piece counts for their price than ones from the 80s or 90s.

For example, a set from my childhood with a piece count similar to those you cited was https://brickset.com/sets/6175-1/Crystal-Explorer-Sub, which cost $33 USD back in 1995… equivalent to nearly $55.50 after nearly 25 years of inflation. It goes without saying that if you compare it to sets with similar piece counts like https://brickset.com/sets/70666-1/The-Golden-Dragon the newer ones seem underwhelming, but that's to be expected when the Crystal Explorer Sub costs more than twice as much as a typical 150–200 piece set today, and has less than half as many pieces than a $50 set like https://brickset.com/sets/70669-1/Cole-s-Earth-Driller!

Now, actual prices from the 80s and 90s are nowhere near as consistently documented on sites like Brickset as prices for more recent sets. Often the best option I've found for identifying prices for these kinds of older sets is to look at mail order catalogs. I don't know what mail order catalog brands were operating in Australia at that time (you may have to research that yourself), but I've found that Sears catalogs are often a good option for looking up older US prices, or Argos catalogs for UK ones.

So yeah, that FX Star Patroller? It cost $20 USD back in 1985. Fast forward nearly 35 years and that equates to $47.65. Again, by today's standards, that's still a pretty normal price for a "mid-range" LEGO set… it's just that the piece count of sets at that price is much higher!

Even in themes like LEGO City and LEGO Star Wars that are often perceived as a poor value by today's standards, $40 to $50 or can easily get you sets like https://brickset.com/sets/60175-1/Mountain-River-Heist, https://brickset.com/sets/60186-1/Mining-Heavy-Driller, https://brickset.com/sets/60193-1/Arctic-Air-Transport, https://brickset.com/sets/60214-1/Burger-Bar-Fire-Rescue, https://brickset.com/sets/75210-1/Moloch-s-Landspeeder, https://brickset.com/sets/75233-1/Droid-Gunship, or https://brickset.com/sets/75205-1/Mos-Eisley-Cantina with as many or more pieces AND play features than the Star Patroller had.

So perhaps a better way to think about this is that decades ago, a mediocre piece count could result in a set that qualifies as "mid-range" in terms of both size and price, whereas today the standards for how much building can be expected from a medium-size/medium-price set have risen much higher.

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Why such a thing hasn't happened for the Three-In-One line is beyond me, as Creator keeps on recycling various particular subject matters for years on end with only a trickle of progress beyond their conceptual retreads. Suburban houses, dinosaurs, robots, cars, motorcycles, animals aircraft, dragons; where's all the sci-fi spacecraft, medieval architecture, mecha, lost ruins, treasure islands, airships, and other fantastical ideas that exist beyond the confines of what the City theme would encompass?

I suspect part of the reason is that the "conceptual retreads" are what tend have the most sustainably strong sales… same as the reason that LEGO Ninjago keeps on introducing new dragons and motorcycle twin-packs, LEGO City keeps on introducing new police stations and helicopters, Star Wars keeps introducing new X-Wings and TIE Fighters, and LEGO Friends keeps introducing new houses, performance stages, shops, and science labs.

In fact, even in the 80s and 90s when themes like Castle, Space, and Pirates were still a much bigger deal than they are today, a lot of the sets for those themes kept on revisiting a fairly narrow slice of the possibilities those genre entailed. Surely even in the LEGO Group's most conservative days, the themes could have in theory explored subject matter fantasy creatures like elves, trolls, and goblins in LEGO Castle, or weirder and wackier alien species and landscapes in LEGO Space, or ghosts and sea monsters in LEGO Pirates… but the amount of demand for subject matter that HAD already been successful in the past usually outweighed the demand for forms of novelty that were further from what the company had experienced success with in the past.

As nice as the kind of "progress" you want to see sounds in theory, the reality is that if the less typical Creator subject matter doesn't sell as well as brick-built motorcycles, houses, airplanes, animals, dragons, and race cars, the design team is going to continue dedicating most of their limited SKUs to that type of subject matter, and only explore more unusual subjects when they see opportunities to do so without neglecting the stuff kids are most consistently enthusiastic for.

Edited by Aanchir

50 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

As nice as the kind of "progress" you want to see sounds in theory, the reality is that if the less typical Creator subject matter doesn't sell as well as brick-built, motorcycles, houses, airplanes, and race cars, the design team is going to continue dedicating most of their limited SKUs to that type of subject matter, and only explore more unusual subjects when they see opportunities to do so without neglecting the stuff kids are most consistently enthusiastic for.

That's understandably the most plausible (and maybe only) reason for such lack of "progress" as you put it, yeah, they're playing it safe. :sceptic:

Still, while I do see some degree of experimentation with a few exceptions to the rule we've seen recently, I feel that experimentation isn't as aggressive as it is with other themes. That's a shame, as it's only one of Lego's best-selling themes year-after-year; so, how could setting aside at least one SKU per year for a more radical departure from the norm (for the sake of experimentation) hurt the theme? Try a Three-In-One Steampunk Airship, Greco-Roman Architecture, a British Tank Engine, a Gundam-inspired mecha, Art Deco '30s Rocketcraft, a Medieval Blacksmith's Shop, a Classic Shuttlecraft, a lost Mayan Temple, a Sci-Fi Dropship, a Mechwarrior-inspired walker, a fantastical Crimson Skies-inspired Racing Aircraft... :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

3 in 1 is certainly experimenting still, it's just that this winter wave is a bit bland, summer has more potential with the carousel and townhouse/petshop sets as they are bigger and likely minifig focused.

I for one would be really happy if the carousel actually had a few minifig-scale horses in it. Could have some horse stable/riding course as alternate build then. But we'll likely get brick-built instead.

Pirate Rollercoaster and Treehouse Adventures have branched out into the Pirates theme a bit, so I would love if they'd expand a bit into Space or Castle that way as well if there's no main theme running.

Now of course 2019 had the Lego Movie 2, and we already have an upcoming City Space line, but for 2020 anything should be possible.

Benny's minifig pack seems to be very popular, so I hope we get something from that.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

3 in 1 is certainly experimenting still, it's just that this winter wave is a bit bland.

It's not that bad, though there's still nothing quite that extraordinary/ground-breaking for the theme. But, from what we've heard of so far, summer doesn't look to be offering anything else close to the fantastical exactly. :def_shrug:

Brickset - Creator | 2019

15 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

It's not that bad, though there's still nothing quite that extraordinary/ground-breaking for the theme. But, from what we've heard of so far, summer doesn't look to be offering anything else close to the fantastical exactly. :def_shrug:

Brickset - Creator | 2019

Winter 2019 3-in-1 had 0 buildings.

I am looking out for the Townhouse set, it's like 900 parts, €80, and the Carousel is like 500 parts €50.

Maybe 500-900 parts isn't md-range within Creator 3 in 1 , but if you add Creator Expert , they certainly are.

Now City still has a minifig pack and Donut shop opening as well to compliment that.

Dual Rotor helicopter seems to be the "large vehicle" category, following up the Turbo Track Racer from 2 years ago. 

Edited by TeriXeri

10 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Winter 2019 3-in-1 had 0 buildings.

From that perspective, sure, but at least the theme has a solid history of releasing such. On the other hand, when was the last time Creator have us anything Medieval, Steampunk, Greco-Roman, Pulp-inspired, Mayan/Aztek, Classic Space, Piratry-related, Cyberpunk, and whatever-else-not-within-the-realm-of-modern-Town/City-in-some-way? *

Answer: Never!