Sign in to follow this  
Wellesley

[ESL - FB] Little Fishing Boat

Hello Eslandolans,

before even introducing my main character, I wanted to give a present to all the other factions. For you I have this little boat I built today.
Even though I couldn't implement all the techniques and style decisions I had envisioned, because I ran out of the necessary bricks, I'm glad, I worked it out, without having to order new ones.
The hull could have been a bit smoother, but I wasn't in the mood to destroy my first ship's long boat. Gladfully the lego football stadium came with a lot of green tiles. So after all these years, it finally was worth it:)
The red touch was also a lucky accident, but it fits the coulour scheme well I think. And finally a ship I managed to use the official Lego ropes on.

46514127415_a4774f8c84_n.jpg 46706189434_d63328dc4b_n.jpg 46514125565_9ddcb07cc5_n.jpg 46706187874_c5d4c7c009_n.jpg 46706186944_14d7c864cb_n.jpg

I intended this vessel to be a local fisherman's ship. Honestly, I'm new to these kind of games and therefore don't know, how to do it in the right manner, so you can benefit the best way possible.
You as the faction can determine the usage and the best location for this vessel.

If there are any problems rule-wise, consider it as a freebuild, that adds more feeling to the world. As for the storytelling part, I'm planning to include it in future posts, tight now, it's just a little raw.

Greetings,
Wellesley!

Edited by Wellesley

Welcome aboard Wellesley! As a lover of small and medium brick-built vessels, I must say that this is a nice start. With a multitude of these ships, Eslandolans will divide (most probably themselves) and conquer! :laugh: :grin:

Really nice little build. I now know a lot more about boats than when I first started playing this game, so can I humbly suggest hanging another sail off that mast?

At the moment, it looks like there would be just a jib. But I think you could either hang a mainsail off the front, or a spanker off the back of the main mast. Possibly both!

Other than that, welcome to the game. I really like your builds, so I'm glad you're joining!

Edited by Ross Fisher

A beautiful little sloop, Wellesley! The custom Hull is great, and I agree the colours go well together!

As per the rules, I see nothing wrong her - the Eslandians can accept the gift if they so please. (which I think they will. ;))

As Ross suggested, I think adding a boom (and possibly gaff) for the missing mainsail would have finished her off nicely, even without the actual sails, but I like her and the rigging nonetheless! Cool how you have divided the mast even on such a small scale.

Well,

first thanks for welcoming me.

I found a soulution for a gaff, that keeps the colour scheme and is "okay" for now.
It even worked again with Lego ropes. But I don't know, maybe I will change it.
A boom could work the same way, even though it might not be necessary on this one.

32488612357_005c4b7dcb_n.jpg 47430377071_4202def267_n.jpg

Wellesley, welcome to BoBS! You've created a wonderful little brick-built fishing boat, and I like how you've incorporated feedback in to your build so quickly. :thumbup:

As one of the Eslandolan leaders, we heartily accept your gift! But rather than use it right away, we'll wait and see if it makes more sense to use it to help your character get started (and I'm anxious to learn about your main character). We'll help you in any way you need to get established in the game.

Have you read through the beginner's guide for the game?

Very nice vessel indeed ... I think the gaff looks the part ... Any chance to as some custom paper sails? 

Do I spy a wip in those last pictures?  Feel free to post in the shipwrights thread for some feedback during construction 

Good addition of the gaff! And since some sails are set without a boom, I think we can now call the  standing rigging complete/awesome! :)

Yeah, you are right @Roadmonkeytj

actually there are two. The 36 gun frigate, which will be a future corrie ship, is nearly done. The last bricks for the masts should arrive within the next days. Then it's only a matter of endurance until the rigging stands and the sails, being done similar to the ones on the Bulwark, give the last touch. Maybe before that I finish the cutter. Also for the corries.

And in front of that there is a shape test construction for a 50 gun ship of the line. Actually the first ship, I start with a plan :D , instead of jumping into the building process and then measuring and changing things only halfway through. The model will be based on the HMS Leopard, the scale being the same as always, 2 studs for the gunports, 4 studs between.
Thus it can join the fleet perfectly. I already have most of the details worked out, the only (so far apparent) remaining problems are some transitions between different curvations on the lower hull. As usually I build just a little bit beneath the water line, if once I want to add a layer of water around it.
With the former ships I didn't have this problem that much, because I refused to narrow down the hull towards astern. This one I want to build just a little bit more accurate.

If I don't solve the problem, I will post the specifics in the thread you mentioned. In the current state it wouldn't be useful.
But looking at different other projects and discovering all the new bricks out there did help a lot.

Now back to the fishing boat: I will do a gaffsail and a staysail. A jib and a topsail could be added later, that could be part of a storytelling. A sail maker's shop is nice idea anyways.
I will use some light cotton from some old bed sheet or tablecloth. If I find the old original sails from the Armada flagship, I might cut out the gaffsail with the emblem in its middle. The staysail could work the same. Unfortunatley I think they both are gone. My little brother once scribbled on most of the Lego sails with a green edding and randomly cut into them. At least all the Brick Seas Barracuda sails survived.

@Wellesley as much as I love custom sails can I shy you away from cutting the armada sails lol. 

There is a fella down under that prints beautiful replicas on eBay and OKK Brickworks also makes reprints.   If you don't already know them I can get you the info via pm. 

We do have the SAIL LIBRARY so you can custom print your own with a little playing around!

Welcome Wellesley to BotBS ! Very nice little boat indeed, the colour scheme is very cool. Welcome again I a great high quality entry! 

Welcome to BoBS and Eslandola!  I'm impressed with how well white, green, and red work on this little boat!  The updated version especially looks good - :thumbup: 

The Eslandolans/Eslandians must have trade in their blood:D
They get a gift and somehow manage to additionally get gaff and sails.

Here you go:
32507188597_fef331b21b_n.jpg 46725882084_3e4a510c84_n.jpg 32507191867_224a01c581_n.jpg

Neat! Although the passengers do not look like fishermen.. Sooner some Eslandolian smugglers the Brick Seas are swarming with!

A great little ship !

At this scale, the hull is quite difficult to render but you've managed to have it well proportionated ! Good job on that.

Thank you for the gift for Eslandola and Welcome to BOBS !

Keep up the good job !