legoman666

3D Printed 9V Train Track available now from OKBrickWorks

Many people know me from the decals I create through OKBrickWorks: https://www.facebook.com/OKBrickWorks I'm the main supplier of decals for several outfits, BrickModelRailroader, BrickTrainDepot, Barduck's Trains BricksNorthwest, in addition to some replica stuff I sell on eBay. I happened across a Facebook post a while ago about 3D printing 9V track, so I figured I'd give it a go. Behold:

47399435001_30f38b7f57_b.jpg

47346704112_e844030047_b.jpg

47399444481_a2d15c66eb_b.jpg

47399441231_72d0bc22b3_b.jpg

I have available: https://www.ebay.com/str/okbrickworks/Train-Track/_i.html?_storecat=3556274819

In 9V: R56, 72, 88, 104, 120 curves, and 8, 16, 32 stud straights.

In 9V or RC: R216, 232, 248, & 264. (I don't have any of these listed on eBay but they are available on demand).

If you email me directly to purchase, I can offer $0.25 discount per piece off the eBay prices. Currently being developed are R104 9V switches but they are pretty far off. All files are designed by and licensed from Nick Halliday. Original code 100 idea by SteveB.

The video is poor, but that's a full R120 9V loop. What do you think?

Edited by legoman666

1 hour ago, legoman666 said:

The video is poor, but that's a full R120 9V loop. What do you think?

I think your standing on a coffee table lol...  Are these like the existing printed track where the don't clip and un clip well after a few shows?  

Can you do a side by side of the actual Lego track? 

Edited by Roadmonkeytj

8 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I think your standing on a coffee table lol...  Are these like the existing printed track where the don't clip and un clip well after a few shows?  

Can you do a side by side of the actual Lego track? 

Haha, I am indeed standing on the coffee table. I built it pretty sturdy; solid cherry and walnut. Weighs > 100lbs, I about killed myself carrying it up from the garage.

The clips shouldn't wear out unreasonably quickly, but they are almost certainly less durable than injection molded parts. The color is good, but not perfect. 

46701072814_d2037a1486_b.jpg

Doesn’t look too bad for those of us that need a quick fix....!

Might I suggest adding screw holes for mounting the track? While not extremely necessary, it would add to the illusion as well as (maybe?) save a few cents on plastic material?

2 hours ago, legoman666 said:

What do you think?

They look great! I'm strongly considering a loop of R72 and have one quick question:  What material are they printed in?

Unfinished_Projects

8 hours ago, Unfinished_Projects said:

They look great! I'm strongly considering a loop of R72 and have one quick question:  What material are they printed in?

Unfinished_Projects

They are PLA. Very durable as long as you don't put them out in the sun.

On 3/26/2019 at 2:05 AM, zephyr1934 said:

Oh wow, those look incredible. How does the electrical resistance across track joints compare to lego 9v track?

I measured the resistance of an entire R120 loop at about 0.2ohms. Standard 9v track can vary when dirty so it's hard to say for certain, but my 3D printed track has less resistance.

On 3/27/2019 at 7:54 AM, legoman666 said:

I measured the resistance of an entire R120 loop at about 0.2ohms. Standard 9v track can vary when dirty so it's hard to say for certain, but my 3D printed track has less resistance.

Impressive!

Will you be going to brickworld? If so, I trust you will have samples on your layout...

On 3/19/2019 at 8:24 PM, legoman666 said:

In 9V or RC: R216, 232, 248, & 264. (I don't have any of these listed on eBay but they are available on demand).

Whoa.... I missed that the first time around. Do you have photos of any of these in a loop (I feel a need to drool). Are the RC prices lower than the 9V.

Will the metal rails oxidize or need regular cleaning?

6 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Impressive!

Will you be going to brickworld? If so, I trust you will have samples on your layout...

Whoa.... I missed that the first time around. Do you have photos of any of these in a loop (I feel a need to drool). Are the RC prices lower than the 9V.

Will the metal rails oxidize or need regular cleaning?

Yes I will be at Brickworld doing a collab with Jeff Fonda. I hope to have a loop of R136 ballasted and running, but that requires a lot of tedious work between then and now so we'll see. I'll definitely have samples either way. I won't be a vendor though so I won't be selling.

I haven't printed any samples of the super wide radii, but I have renders and the files are ready to go. They just look like straights, haha.  In 9V (pieces required for a loop): R216 $7.50 (48), R232 $6.75 (64), R248 $7.00 (64), R264 $7.25 (64). The RC prices are $1.25 less than their 9V counterpart. 

The metal is standard nickel silver rail, so it will oxidize eventually, but it's fairly resistant. Shouldnt be too different of an experience than original Lego 9V track.

Nice to see how 3D printing is trying to give 9V the opportunity to make a comeback! 

However, after some discussion with Cale last week we came to a pretty problematic conclusion: Yes, 3D track can be printed. But what about the 9V motors? There are only a definite number of those available, and they are getting harder and harder to find (and thus more and more expensive). Anyone already working on that? I know @coaster had some ideas about a metal wheel that could serve as pick-up to power PF, but as far as I know it hasn't progressed further than the first design stage at the moment. Or am I missing something here? 

Edited by raised

2 hours ago, raised said:

Nice to see how 3D printing is trying to give 9V the opportunity to make a comeback! 

However, after some discussion with Cale last week we came to a pretty problematic conclusion: Yes, 3D track can be printed. But what about the 9V motors? There are only a definite number of those available, and they are getting harder and harder to find (and thus more and more expensive). Anyone already working on that? I know @coaster had some ideas about a metal wheel that could serve as pick-up to power PF, but as far as I know it hasn't progressed further than the first design stage at the moment. Or am I missing something here? 

You are absolutely correct. Every year the market for 9v track gets smaller and smaller. Without a new electrical pickup the market will continue to dwindle. Based on my sales, I can tell you right now that paying for an injection mold to make 9v track is a waste of money. 

The low quantities are ideal for 3D printing. If Scott or someone comes out with pickups and injection molded r56-120 9v track, then I would probably stick to super large radii. You'll note that I specifically don't have any products that overlap with offerings by any other company. I do this for fun in my spare time, not to step on anyone elses toes.

Here someone posted quite detailed instructions on how to build such a Power-pickup DIY-style :-)

5 hours ago, SteveBar said:

I happened across a Facebook post a while ago...

9vMetalTrack3

That photo, posted in 2015 by Steve B, is as far as I know exactly what Andy is crediting in the first post when he says "Original Code 100 idea by SteveB". I don't think there's any trouble here.

6 hours ago, Daedalus304 said:

That photo, posted in 2015 by Steve B, is as far as I know exactly what Andy is crediting in the first post when he says "Original Code 100 idea by SteveB". I don't think there's any trouble here.

hehe, I added that bit after Steve's comment. The FB post I was referencing was by Nick Halliday, which is who created most of the models I print and sell. So far as I know, Steve was the one who had the original idea of using code 100. I'm not sure who first thought to 3d print the groove already in the track. Maybe it was Scott Hoffmeyer (who designed a few of the models I sell, by the way). Maybe it was someone else.

I'm happy to keep making the track, although 9V isn't going anywhere until there is a new source for motors.

Edited by legoman666

I’m super happy that Andy (and possibly others) is making this track available to everybody.   I saw it in action yesterday for the first time at bricks Cascade in Portland Oregon on one of the train layouts. It’s super cool to see 9 V trains running on large radius track. Hats off to all those that are working on large radius systems esp those that are 9v compatible.

When I came up with this idea and first implemented it, I knew it was gonna work. I had no intent on trying to make a business based on this idea, so I thought it was important to document it and put it in the public domain for others to use.  

Five years ago personal 3-D printers were barely able to print something like Lego track, but of course the inevitability of printing track with a groove in it for inserting metal rail, code 100, was part of the thinking. 

I just think it is important that clear credit should be given to those who come up with a clever ideas; past, present, and future . :-)

Steve 

Oh man, senior moment!!!  Of course...  I think I was just shocked to see it in the wild and in my own backyard (Portland) ?

steve