Sign in to follow this  
Freezingvettes99

Burlington Northern GP50 With Power Functions In 6 Wide

We had offered this in six wide on Brick Train Depot without any type of instructions to add the Power Functions or one could simply add a 9V Train Motor. We had customers attempting to do it on their own with varied success so I decided to create the instructions and build it for myself to make sure it actually worked. I am extremely pleased with the result and wanted to share with all of you. We created a decal mask to cover the sides of the battery box and receiver. Access to turn it on is on the top by simply removing a portion of the dynamic brake section. This works with either the new Bluetooth or the older infared type of Power Functions setup. I built mine with the older type because that is what I had on hand at the time. Feedback is always welcome. The instructions and decals are currently available on our site if interested.

40454925733_906928a0a9_c.jpgBurlington Northern GP50 in 6 Wide with Power Functions by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

46697323584_7f35f2c523_c.jpgBurlington Northern GP50 in 6 Wide with Power Functions by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

46505274005_de067ab310_c.jpgBurlington Northern GP50 in 6 Wide with Power Functions by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

32478522397_26dcd7e4ca_c.jpgBurlington Northern GP50 in 6 Wide with Power Functions by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

47367697462_6b593b4f29_c.jpgBurlington Northern GP50 in 6 Wide with Power Functions by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

33544659348_2a09214027_c.jpgBurlington Northern GP50 in 6 Wide with Power Functions by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

Edited by Freezingvettes99

3 hours ago, CSW652 said:

Does the "decal mask" allow changing of the batteries?

Not OP here, but I believe you'd do what I normally do and not screw the battery box together. I have similar loco, and while a rechargeable battery pack would be easier, I do use a standard battery box. I just have to take apart the top of the loco a bit then slide out the battery box innards, leaving the case in place. I can imagine that is how this is likely set up.

On 3/21/2019 at 9:58 AM, Toxic43 said:

Not OP here, but I believe you'd do what I normally do and not screw the battery box together. I have similar loco, and while a rechargeable battery pack would be easier, I do use a standard battery box. I just have to take apart the top of the loco a bit then slide out the battery box innards, leaving the case in place. I can imagine that is how this is likely set up.

You are correct, also you would have to take a hobby razor blade and cut along the battery box and reciever, the mask doesn't take this into account. Fairly simple since the seperation line shows up slightly through the decal.