TheBrickBuilder14

[MOC] TX-130 Saber-class Fighter Tank 2019 Update

Recommended Posts

Last year I released  an updated version of my TX-130 Saber-Class Fighter Tank aka The Republic Fighter Tank model that I made back in 2016. While I was pretty happy with that model there is no denying that there were certain aspects of the build that I could have done better.

Now, half a year later, I have significantly overhauled the model and improved the design were I felt it was lacking. Firstly I have completely rebuild the "nose" portion of the tank. Incorporating some of the newer elements I wanted to make it more accurate to the source material without having to require the use of stickers.

I have also reworked the "wings" of the tank in order to make them a bit more bulkier and to incorporate the lime green stripe in a more natural manner. Lastly I also incorporated opening missile hatches as that was something people felt was lacking with my initial version.

The interior remains mostly unchanged and a figure can still fit inside but I did make some alterations to the canon on top as well, it can no be folded into the tank in order to close the top hatch or it can be folded upwards in order for the gunner to man it.

40445744293_174eb11ee1_b.jpg

40445741733_48efc4295d_b.jpg

40445738073_df199bd656_b.jpg

47358511402_ed5f3d1db7_b.jpg

32469114017_5613603de0_b.jpg

40445730853_a615039719_b.jpg

33535441388_1644aa4504_b.jpg

47358494472_654dd2155d_b.jpg

47411193301_7bc78dc9d7_b.jpg

46687953304_65089e45f5_b.jpg

40445711443_2c14d1ef9e_b.jpg

33535437108_3df64455fc_b.jpg

40445744943_b5e480527c_b.jpg

33535415058_41d2566077_b.jpg

Personally I am pretty happy with how this model turned out and hope that all of you like it as well. Feedback of any kind is always appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, so much an improvement over the previous iteration.  The face looks pleasing more sophisticated and the actual eye holes add depth as well than the simplified design!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the color scheme is wonderful! I enjoy the MOC size and detail, captured the spirit of clone troopers Tank, much better than LEGO set.

Per the Republic logo, what if use 2x2 size? is it obvious?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JoeChu1980 said:

Per the Republic logo, what if use 2x2 size? is it obvious?

 

It does seem small, but in my opinion, the 2x2 size would ruin the contrast between the red and white colors and also flow over the dark red coloring established at the edge of the body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think overall this is great. I really appreciate the inclusion of the rear hatch as well as the missile/rocket launcher, though I will say that the cockpit/cabin portion seems a bit big (tall). Besides this, excellent proportions and nice details (is greebling the right word?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

Yes, so much an improvement over the previous iteration.  The face looks pleasing more sophisticated and the actual eye holes add depth as well than the simplified design!

Thank you very much! Looking back at my previous version the face was indeed way more simplified, this time I really challenged myself to find a way to at least capture the face in a more accurate manner, the new pieces Lego have provided us recently really helped with this.

4 hours ago, JoeChu1980 said:

the color scheme is wonderful! I enjoy the MOC size and detail, captured the spirit of clone troopers Tank, much better than LEGO set.

Per the Republic logo, what if use 2x2 size? is it obvious?

Glad to hear you like it so much! I understand what you mean with the Republic logo in fact I did indeed order a 2x2 Republic logo sticker sheet but in the end I felt that the logo would be too big. I might try it out though just to see how it looks, when I do I'll be certain to post an image of it.

2 hours ago, CommanderJonny1 said:

I think overall this is great. I really appreciate the inclusion of the rear hatch as well as the missile/rocket launcher, though I will say that the cockpit/cabin portion seems a bit big (tall). Besides this, excellent proportions and nice details (is greebling the right word?).

Thanks! My previous design was indeed more "flat" compared to this one but while looking at the source material I felt making it a bit taller would actually be for the best as I could capture the top 2 "eyes" much better that way. Here is a reference shot of the toy I mainly used as inspiration;

A0878-STAR-WARS-Class-II-Vehicle-Ep2-Rep

Also greebling is indeed the right word... I think haha :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing, easily one of the best I've seen.  You captured the size and color perfectly, I've never seen the second set of vents or eyes before and you nailed those as well. Love the missile pop-ups, the top turret, and the cockpit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheBrickBuilder14 said:

Thanks! My previous design was indeed more "flat" compared to this one but while looking at the source material I felt making it a bit taller would actually be for the best as I could capture the top 2 "eyes" much better that way. Here is a reference shot of the toy I mainly used as inspiration;

 

I did not recognize these before, as the angles leading into the detail gave me the impression of some "intake."  They seem too small compared to the main eyes, but I see the limited space given to work with.  Though if you could move the utmost top of the forehead back by one stud and remove the 1x2 curved slope to open up the eyelet to two studs, I believe it could look even better (albeit at the cost of the turret).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TheBrickBuilder14 said:

My previous design was indeed more "flat" compared to this one but while looking at the source material I felt making it a bit taller would actually be for the best as I could capture the top 2 "eyes" much better that way.

Ah, ok. Perhaps I'm just more used to looking at ones like those from Battlefront II, though I think it's more that the sides (where the repulsorlifts are) seem a bit small. Even your reference picture shows them as being a bit more "chunky". I don't know if adding a plate or two to the height would help or not, but I do see why you did what you did, given the scale that you used.

 

17 hours ago, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

I did not recognize these before, as the angles leading into the detail gave me the impression of some "intake."  They seem too small compared to the main eyes, but I see the limited space given to work with.

I hadn't really noticed them from before either; the two on top, while I thought they were intakes as well at first, I believe are actually the secondary viewports. These would be for the commander/gunner, whereas the two main viewports would be for the driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CommanderJonny1 said:

I hadn't really noticed them from before either; the two on top, while I thought they were intakes as well at first, I believe are actually the secondary viewports. These would be for the commander/gunner, whereas the two main viewports would be for the driver.

 

Yes, and matching the width of top viewports to the bottom could help its intent.  On another note, on the actual vehicle, I suppose enough space would exist for the commander/gunner to fully stand up and peer through these, which would make the thank very tall in person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

Yes, and matching the width of top viewports to the bottom could help its intent.  On another note, on the actual vehicle, I suppose enough space would exist for the commander/gunner to fully stand up and peer through these, which would make the thank very tall in person.

The top view ports are indeed an area that I am not completely satisfied with but I couldn't quite come up with a different solution for it yet. I'm definitely going to keep tinkering with it though ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LiLmeFromDaFuture Actually, they are indeed intakes (or at least filters of some kind). I had thought there was a seat for the gunner that could move up and down (somewhat like the 2008 set), but perhaps there's just a raised platform that he can stand on. Sorry for the poor picture, but it helps.

Related image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CommanderJonny1 said:

@LiLmeFromDaFuture Actually, they are indeed intakes (or at least filters of some kind). I had thought there was a seat for the gunner that could move up and down (somewhat like the 2008 set), but perhaps there's just a raised platform that he can stand on. Sorry for the poor picture, but it helps.

 

In this case, it seems like they function as vents for the guns.  Although, I hear people claim disparities within these cross-sections, so who really knows.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2019 at 6:58 PM, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

In this case, it seems like they function as vents for the guns.  Although, I hear people claim disparities within these cross-sections, so who really knows.  

This is pretty much the only  cut-away that I've found online (and I can't really remember the Visual Dictionary much), and there's not much technical information on Wookiepedia (and the information that is on there has a big disparity between Legends- which I ascribe to- and 'Canon'); I'm not sure if this cross-section is from the Essential Guide to Vehicles, which is considered one of the go-to reference sources for these things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.