Tcm0

EV3 Firmware 1.04 and 1.05

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have a backup of the lego mindstorms 1.04 or 1.05 firmware? Can be both, education or retail.

Edited by Tcm0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tcm0 said:

Does anyone have a backup of the lego mindstorms 1.04 or 1.05 firmware? Can be both, education or retail.

Why do you need version 1.04 or 1.05?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, David Lechner said:

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but there is an unofficial 1.05M version available on the MindCuber web page (the download link in section 2.1).

http://mindcuber.com/mindcub3r/mindcub3r-orig.html

This version should be the same as the official 1.05 version with a fix for the RGB mode of the color sensor.

 

 

Thanks, that's probably what I wanted. I think that there is no official 1.04 and 1.05.
BTW I also found 1.04: https://wiki.qut.edu.au/download/attachments/171509415/ev3-edimax.bin?version=1&modificationDate=1383238867000&api=v2

13 hours ago, Jim said:

Why do you need version 1.04 or 1.05?

The hitechnic irlink sensor works better with these versions (at least 1.04)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhh yes....the infamous IRLink Sensor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jim said:

Ahhh yes....the infamous IRLink Sensor.

Why infamous? I think that it's pretty good apart from that EV3 support is broken. But it has the most complete IR support when it comes to the lego IR protocols.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tcm0 said:

But it has the most complete IR support when it comes to the lego IR protocols.

And that is what I call a) true backward compatibility (as in: brick compatibility) and b) sustainable development.

When it comes to bricks, TLG is so proud about backward compatibility - when it comes to anything LEGO software/electronics it appears as if they don't have  - if they ever had - I plan. It is possible. I am using MicroScout, Scout, RCX, Spybots (VLL, IR protocol) along with NXT (IR protocol, Bluetooth), and PuP devices (Bluetooth LE) all in one software: Microsofts VB6. The NXT knows how to communicate with RCX', Spybots and Scouts with the >brilliant, fantastic< HiTechnic IRLink Sensor. The Scout speaks natively VLL. RCX, Scouts and Spybots interact directly. So every PBrick "of the past" can basically establish communications with every other type. The EV3 brick is included as well as that one understand Bluetooth ... The BLE devices are completely set aside and totally isolated. The only way to get them aboard is with a "base" (e.g. a computer providing the link).

Yes. I am missing the good ol'days. Or better: The days when TLG provided "communication links". As far as I am concerned, they do not anymore.

And this is why folks ask for "infamous IRLink Sensor support" (which in contrast the brilliant IRLink sensor) and 1.04 or 1.05 firmwares.

All the best
Thorsten

 

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tcm0 said:

Why infamous? I think that it's pretty good apart from that EV3 support is broken. But it has the most complete IR support when it comes to the lego IR protocols.

Because of the lack of EV3 support. It’s a great sensor and it’s too bad it’s not (properly) supported anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Toastie said:

And that is what I call a) true backward compatibility (as in: brick compatibility) and b) sustainable development.

When it comes to bricks, TLG is so proud about backward compatibility - when it comes to anything LEGO software/electronics it appears as if they don't have  - if they ever had - I plan. It is possible. I am using MicroScout, Scout, RCX, Spybots (VLL, IR protocol) along with NXT (IR protocol, Bluetooth), and PuP devices (Bluetooth LE) all in one software: Microsofts VB6. The NXT knows how to communicate with RCX', Spybots and Scouts with the >brilliant, fantastic< HiTechnic IRLink Sensor. The Scout speaks natively VLL. RCX, Scouts and Spybots interact directly. So every PBrick "of the past" can basically establish communications with every other type. The EV3 brick is included as well as that one understand Bluetooth ... The BLE devices are completely set aside and totally isolated. The only way to get them aboard is with a "base" (e.g. a computer providing the link).

Yes. I am missing the good ol'days. Or better: The days when TLG provided "communication links". As far as I am concerned, they do not anymore.

And this is why folks ask for "infamous IRLink Sensor support" (which in contrast the brilliant IRLink sensor) and 1.04 or 1.05 firmwares.

All the best
Thorsten

 

  

 

I'm still pretty satisfied with the backwards compatibility of lego. There are adapter cables for all the recent wire systems (apart from PUP but hey, that might get one in the future, too. They don't sell the PUP parts seperatly yet). It would be great if NXT and EV3 could communicate directly without 3rd party software but at least the sensors and motors are compatible (with the exception of the IRLink and the 9V adapter cable).

Regarding EV3 and PUP it's again a hardware limitation - "normal" bluetooth VS BLE which wasn't that popular back then in 2013. But you can control PUP if you attach a BLE dongle to the EV3 and use EV3DEV. I think that both, the 9V adapter cable and the IRLink work with the EV3 if you use EV3DEV.

And then there is the stupid AutoID function of the EV3. I have the impression that the single reason why the old adapter cables etc. don't work is the AutoID option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jim said:

Because of the lack of EV3 support

Yes

13 hours ago, Jim said:

It’s a great sensor

Yes

13 hours ago, Jim said:

it’s not (properly) supported anymore.

and that is so true.

But I agree with @Tmc0 that is could be much worse of course. But it could be much better as well. I simply do not believe that it is next to impossible to integrate such functionality when you do that at design time. I mean people are doing it on their own after the product has been released. That is what lately repeatedly strikes me as a "why on earth didn't they?" thing.

It really is so much fun to see all the PBricks communicate with each other. The RCX/SCOUT/Spybots are from around 1998 on - which still can talk to a NXT via the IRLink-Sensor, the NXT via BT messages with the EV3 and that one with appropriate software (as I have now learned from @Tmc0) that one can talk to the PuP BLE devices.

I am just saying that I would push for such features at design time if I were TLG. But I am not. I nevertheless looks so far so good with 3rd party stuff …

All the best
Thorsten
  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.