AfolFree

[MOC][Instructions] DP-20 Frigate

Update : Instructions are up on Rebrickable https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-32551

For my very first "big" MOC, I decided to go for a ship that we don't see that much : the correllian gunship, aka the DP-20 Frigate.

It is a canon ship, but has very little to no canon visuals (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/DP20_Frigate) so I went for the features and visuals I liked most and tried to translate the formidable look of this gunship in Lego (yes 12 turbolaser turrets can look scary, even though an ISD wouldn't care).

I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures, no real space for decent pictures at home at the moment.

Final version

NTgxmvK.png?1

Original pictures

32461894447_b7436907d7.jpg

40438309643_e5ae82f94c.jpg

46488697645_3f9bba6ed5.jpg

As it was my first MOC, pretty much everything felt a bit challenging, but the worst part was without a doubt the cone head of the ship. I'm pretty happy with the way I managed to close the gaps in that area :classic:

46680835504_5a63402e62.jpg

Close up on the rear section :

33527898178_4321146147.jpg

32461894467_88807ca80e.jpg

Final piece count : 1361

Edited by AfolFree
Forgot pieces count :)

Looks fantastic, especially for your first big MOC!  The cone is definitely a hard thing to replicate, but I think you did a great job!  Really looking forward to your future MOCs.

On 3/17/2019 at 5:08 PM, TheNerdyOne_ said:

Looks fantastic, especially for your first big MOC!  The cone is definitely a hard thing to replicate, but I think you did a great job!  Really looking forward to your future MOCs.

Thanks ! I need to get a real workspace if I am to build anything interesting, but I sure hope I will get the opportunity

On 3/18/2019 at 6:33 AM, Reaper said:

Looks great! The cone shape is built nicely!

On 3/19/2019 at 11:08 PM, TWP said:

Nice MOC! I also like the cone head!

Thank you both !

15 hours ago, Banzayn said:

Very nice indeed?

:blush:

Also, I forgot to mention but by my calculations this MOC is 1:250 scale, I created it with mortesv' Nebulon B in mind and it should scale nicely with it.

On 3/21/2019 at 3:20 PM, Banzayn said:

Really love it..any chance for purchasing instructions in the future?

Thanks again?

On 9/24/2019 at 4:32 PM, Rebel Commander said:

This is an awesome moc!

Do you have the instructions?

Thank you both !

Yes I am working on instructions, but there are a few things I wanted to improve before releasing it.
The most important one was the cone head/cockpit : it is quite hard to assemble and is not even possible according to LDD/Stud.io in its current version. With real bricks It's actually doable (hence the photos), but I still felt like it could be done in a better way. At the moment I have 3 possible versions :

• v1 is a slight variation of the one I initially showed in my pictures, made to reduce the (small) stress some pieces were under
  • v2 is a full rebuild, works in Stud.io, still needs to be tested with real bricks. It is overall smoother, the base is thinner and it is 1 stud longer
  • v3 is similar to v2 but with a different "tiling"

Here are some side-by-side renders, which one do you think works best ?

KwrziMc.jpg

Front :

t98lty0.jpg

Side :

fEj9k8I.jpg

Fitted on the ship :

v28aPup.jpg

Your first MOC?! This looks very sleek and smooth as a design and I think the nose came out beautifully. Definitely gives a ship I am unfamiliar with a great look.

Nice work!

Looks amazing, and fantastic for a first MOC.  Definitely like the v3 version of the cockpit the best.

Thank you everyone for the kind words !

My Bricklink orders came in, and I'm happy to report that cockpit/bridge v3 actually works with real bricks. I was really worried because the gaps looked scaringly narrow in Studio, but aside from the rail plates in front that I can afford to remove (the gap there is nowhere near as wide as I feared, the plates just don't fit), and the very front rounded plate connecting a bit loosely, the whole thing was fairly easy to put together.

Here is a quick photo :

JGrZwtjl.jpg

I now have to refactor the Spine a bit to attach this new cockpit, and that should be the final version of the MOC. Then I will get going on the instructions :sweet:

Edited by AfolFree
Resizing picture.