traintraum

MOC: German train: n-wagen/ Silberlinge ... many quite expensive elements

Hello

after spending some more money in prats, now my second custom train is finished. 

In this case, I worked out some more details. (e.g. the door at the ends of each coach/ wagon.

Well, I still need to add some window glasses and chairs. Both are orderes. But I guess, that parts are not that important for an impression of that model:

First of all some funy scenes:

in this video I take a detailes look at the train - unfortunatelly, I spoke in german. If you want, I could also do an english-commented video. WHat do you think?

...or trying to learn one more language ;-)

Well, now, I am excited, what you will think ;-)

Best regards, 

Niklas

i dont know wich "steuerwagen" you wanted to represent but if its this one:

der-karlsruher-steuerwagen-635ef191-ce98

you have to slope the bricks a bit but this one is pretty hard to build in lego as you have so many angles.

if i where you i would rather build this one:

steuerwagen-mit-wittenberger-kopf-ex-308

has way less complex angles and still fits to your other wagons.

but anyways i find the rest of the train really cool! These are just suggestions and if you like your that way its also ok of course.

Have Fun!

XG BC

Don't know why you feel you have to brag about spending money. Using expensive parts doesn't make your model better.

Are those cars still known as Silberlingen in this livery?

5 hours ago, Duq said:

Are those cars still known as Silberlingen in this livery?

Wikipedia is your friend:

"Silberling is the colloquial name for the n-coaches of the Deutsche Bundesbahn, a type of regional passenger coach of which more than 7,000 units were built from 1958 to 1981. Nearly all of the coaches have undergone extensive modernisation – these modernised units are widely known as Mintling, Grünling ("greenling") or Rotling ("redling") after their exterior colours. The term Buntling ("colourfulling") is used to denote refurbished Silberling coaches in general." (Accessed 3-16-2019)

Hmmm - it appears as if @traintraum has created a Rotling. Or Buntling … but they are Silberlings in their heart …

Have colorful fun …

Thorsten   

they of course are still known as "silberlinge" (thats the correct german spelling of the word) because they used to be in a silver (Silber=silver) color before modernisation.

XG BC

That's what I meant... They used to be called Silberlingen because they were silver, so I wondered if they were still called Silberlingen now that they're no longer silver. And Toastie confirmed that they're not...

20 minutes ago, Duq said:

That's what I meant... They used to be called Silberlingen because they were silver, so I wondered if they were still called Silberlingen now that they're no longer silver. And Toastie confirmed that they're not...

To be honest: I've never heard the terms "Rotling", "Mintling", "Grünling" or "Buntling" before. Round here, they are still called "Silberling", regardless of the actual colour, or at least "Ex-Silberling".

29 minutes ago, Tenderlok said:

To be honest: I've never heard the terms "Rotling", "Mintling", "Grünling" or "Buntling" before. Round here, they are still called "Silberling", regardless of the actual colour, or at least "Ex-Silberling".

What??? Wikipedia is not telling the truth? And I donated money … what a disappointment (:sarcasm:)

Well, I have never heard these other terms as well - but they make sense, don't they. I'll ask a DRB/DB knowledge institution tomorrow (that is the mechanical engineer in my group). Then we will know for sure :tongue:

And well, they are seldom called "Silberlingen" as you need to use the term in plural and dative case: "Der Zug mit den Silberlingen am Haken fährt in den Bahnhof ein."

(Singular: Der Silberling - des Silberlings - dem Silberling - den Silberling. Plural: Die Silberlinge, der Silberlinge, >>>den Silberlingen<<<, die Silberlinge) 

And again this is meant to be funny , please don't take me serious, @Duq … stupid German Language details in the Eurobricks Train Tech Forum.

Have fun!

Best
Thorsten

yea german language must be so confusing for one who isnt a native speeker even me beeing from austria doesnt know all the german grammar. anyways we are not here to discuss german grammar but to look at your beautiful moc of the n wagons!

XG BC

As a Dutch person I've always found German relatively easy to understand. I've always struggled with the grammar though, which seemed unnecessarily complicated.

Die, der, das all mean the same but I never know which one to pick. There's a rule about aus bei mit nach seit von zu. That sequence is stuck in my brain but the rule itself is long lost...

Oh, before I'm accused of picking on the Germans, French is equally impossible to learn with their 27 conjugations for every verb and I haven't built up the courage to attempt Irish...

Anyway, to me a Silberling is silver. (And a 103 is red and cream. Whoever came up with Verkehrsrot should be shot. But I digress...)

41 minutes ago, Duq said:

There's a rule about aus bei mit nach seit von zu. That sequence is stuck in my brain but the rule itself is long lost...

I think these are prepositions which take the dative.

http://kliebhan.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Mark-Twain-Awful-Germn-Language.pdf

44 minutes ago, Duq said:

French is equally impossible to learn with their 27 conjugations for every verb

And with your tongue ending up as a Gordian Knot when trying to speak it... :wink:

1 hour ago, Duq said:

As a Dutch person I've always found German relatively easy to understand. I've always struggled with the grammar though, which seemed unnecessarily complicated.

Die, der, das all mean the same but I never know which one to pick. There's a rule about aus bei mit nach seit von zu. That sequence is stuck in my brain but the rule itself is long lost...

Oh, before I'm accused of picking on the Germans, French is equally impossible to learn with their 27 conjugations for every verb and I haven't built up the courage to attempt Irish...

Anyway, to me a Silberling is silver. (And a 103 is red and cream. Whoever came up with Verkehrsrot should be shot. But I digress...)

yea german and french are the hardest to learn. I learned french in shool and im glad that i dont have to learn it anymore. anyways "das" mostly means things. I myself as a native speeker dont know most of the actual grammar rules i just you know like... talk like you would in dutch. as a german speaker i can understand dutch if its spoken fairly well but i cant talk dutch.

18 minutes ago, Tenderlok said:

I think these are prepositions which take the dative.

http://kliebhan.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Mark-Twain-Awful-Germn-Language.pdf

And with your tongue ending up as a Gordian Knot when trying to speak it... :wink:

yea german is a weird language

XG BC

Edited by XG BC

5 hours ago, XG BC said:

Just to take this to the education level (the moderators will kill us on this pretty soon …)

As @Duq recalled: They hammered that into our brains back then:

• "An, auf, hinter, neben, in; über, unter, vor und zwischen" (the ";" means a pause) - always is dative … (note the ordering, note the "in" being in the wrong place but nicely adding to the flow ... 
  • "Durch, für, ohne, um; sondern, gegen, wider" - always accusative …
  • "Mit, nach, bei, seit, von, zu, aus" - that depends - dative when you can ask for "where and when" - and accusative when you can ask - errr - "whereabouts". My goodness ...
5 hours ago, XG BC said:

I >totally< agree. From the perspective of "having survived high school" :tongue: (barely) and "made it so far through life" - it actually became fun!

So … anyone into German punctuation??? That is a blast. At least ...

To make sure that the moderators will not pull the plug on this thread:

"Rotling" is apparently a well-known term to German train heads. Hmm. Whatever. One thing strikes me: Why would you call a refurbished, maybe not anymore stainless steel covered coach a "Silberling"? That makes no sense when applying any (random) German language roles … other than: "It was always like that" … or: "It will never be anything else …"

So a red/white painted n-Wagen is called a "Silberling" because you >know< things.

All the best
Thorsten  

I think the cat stole the show. :pir-classic:  Interesting that a towel was at the right spot under the tracks. 

I think elevating track over what looks like a stone covered patio is interesting and fun, along the same path as the little section known as "will it float" did in Late Night Show, that is, if you consider the heading "many quite expensive elements". Would I repeat this experiment with my own MOC of a train just to see if it works? Don't think so, but it was entertaining!

Thanks for sharing. After all, life is a risky project. Might as well add some suspense just to see what happens....

Nice MOC, by the way

Edited by baard
Add some text

I like what I see, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm seeing, because of the videos... Would you be able to make some pictures of the whole thing? That most of the time is a better way of showing what you have build. Yes, it doesn't run at that point, but most of the time that's actually a good thing with models of trains ;) 

Also, I agree with Duq... Not really getting why you are bragging about the price. Everybody knows Lego is expensive, most of our builds have some way too expensive parts in it, that's just part of the hobby... 

I think the model is well constructed.  It looks very similar to the references posted.  It seems as if it runs well.  The suspended track is cool but you need a way to compensate for the sway. For it to be successful.  Although I am surprised how "little" your train broke up.   My MOCs explode when they hit the floor lol.

As far as the German I remember running around asking Was ist das? And pointing at things to learn.  There is seemingly not any reason behind much of the masculine feminine and nuteted use of THE lol.   I remember a teacher in school saying don't try to understand the reason as it seems a drunk decided which words fall in what category.

8 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I remember a teacher in school saying don't try to understand the reason as it seems a drunk decided which words fall in what category.

Well - believe me - I was thinking exactly the same thing (OK, replace the drunk with crazy, self focused or whatever:ugh:) when I was in high school. I mean who makes up these rules? On the other hand, lets call it … … … heritage or … … … no, can't think of any other reasonable reason. But that is me. 

But: It is fun! At age close to 60 you just enjoy stupid things like that:laugh:

And then … I learned in beautiful SoCal: No comma before that, but more or less always before which. And then the if and when thing … and this and that … cool stuff ...

So back on topic:
I also believe the MOC is very well rendering the real train. DB is painting them in red/white, so is the MOC. Silberling or not …

All the best
Thorsten 

It might look like some drunk idiot has made our language but in reality it gradualy developed over time.

XG BC

Hello, (can't say good evening because I guess, some of you have a quite different time);-)

Thank you for all these words! ;-)

To be honest, I just remembered these coaches running along - even in my homw town - till 2007, when I was just 9 years old.

Well, long time, I knew, I wanted to rebuild that model.

I dind't know how these coaches would be called. So a searches for train ... after many pictures, I found a picture of the coach with the word "n-Wagen" and "Silberling" - I typed both to google - then most of the pictures showed the coaches, I ment - so I gussed, that's how ther're called.

Words like "Rotling" or "Blauling" sound quite special for me, I never heard them.

I for myself can luckily say, I haven't any problems with the german language - absolutly none.  ;-) With english - thaught it must be easier - it's different. I guess, there it's of an high relevance how often one is using the language.

Next time, I will add pictures again. ... I am still looking for a good tool for showing them.

Okay - the last words in the heading were a bit stilly, I now notice, too. Well, I just saw my process of getting all these windows. But for me there wasn't any alternative part, I would accept.

About the end- coach, I should think a bit, that'r right... Well, I guess, that would take a wile.

Best Regards ;-)

Niklas