dtomsen

[MOC] Odense Banegård & modular platforms

A little LEGO Digital Designer project I have been working on since the beginning of March...now rendered in Stud.io using highest settings and a very large size of 4800x3600 :classic:

Odense Banegård

The train station was drawn by Danish architect Heinrich Wenck and built in 1913-1914 in the city of Odense, Denmark.

It was used as such until 1995.

The building was later bought by the city, housing the city's music library for several years.

The actual Odense Banegård

My model:
Scale: Minifig or approx. 1:42
Area: 3 x 8 baseplates 32 x 32
Number of parts: 23.223

The ground floor consist of 2 wings and 1 main building which all can be separated.

The roof consists of six sections which can be removed, giving access to the building inside.

The platform consists of multiple sections which can all be clicked together for added stability.

Frontside:
Facing one of the city's many old parks, Kongens Have (The Royal Garden), separated only by road (and a light rail line from 2021).

47477831591_c8c108a87c_b.jpg

Trackside:
A mix of its appearances during different ages with a few modern train station equipment added as the building isn't used as such anymore...and I didn't want to fill this side completely with bicycles :laugh:

46759431614_ddb2af4f73_b.jpg

Rigth wing:
Facing musikhuset Posten (live music venue) which was originally built as a parcel post office in the same architectual style.
The two buildings are separated only by a small paved area, now a parking lot.

47437254952_2489f819e0_b.jpg

Left wing:
Facing Danhostel Odense City or what is left of the hotel when the new monstrosity Odense Banegård Center was being built in 1995 and needed the space.

46769124664_265672bb65_b.jpg

The main clock:

46433387275_058deedffa_b.jpg

The main platform doors:

32444067337_79bb962d06_b.jpg

Edited by dtomsen

Design used for the lamppost - later told is Philips Helios :classic:

40454650883_59dfa1e723_b.jpg

Edited by dtomsen

4 hours ago, dtomsen said:

A little LEGO Digital Designer project...

LOL... among many words I never would have chosen little :laugh:

This is an huge masterpiece! :wub:

The main doors are amazing, and you've done a great work!:excited:

Wow - that is great!  You've captured the overall building very well, and I love the detail you've shared on some of the specific features.  I especially like the way you've extended the design over the larger arch above the doors.  Looking forward to seeing more!  :classic:

Wow!

Great main door (I might have to steal that idea!) , and huge build!

On 3/18/2019 at 4:47 PM, AlmightyArjen said:

That is one awesome design! Are you going to build it?

At first, from definitely no to not sure :sceptic:
My first very very large MOC and estimating from 20.000 parts (station alone without interior) to >25.000 (including platforms and surrounding area) too extensive for my parts collection and hence too expensive.
Approx. 400 white Windows 1 x 2 x 2 Flat Front with glass, >2.000 llght bluish gray Tiles 2 x 2 and so on and on.
And no room for such a big display at home.

But after talking with a very nice person about a huge loan of parts, very likely and should be ready for events next year  :classic:

Edited by dtomsen

Technique used for the round extensions and the low spiral stairs between the front of the main bulding and the wings:

40440922953_1a79b66e3a_b.jpg

The extensions should look even more gradual round irl with five overlapping hinges per level and thus six horizontal points of bending.

They are only attached to the main building with technic pins and should be easy to attach or remove thus making the main bulding easier to transport

The spiral stairs are details not strictly necessary on a project this large. But I disgress :grin:

Edited by dtomsen

More work done on the surrounding area, prepared for Moduverse (Scandinavian MILS) and almost finished :classic:

46521598195_d3ca2cfdf1_b.jpg

Edited by dtomsen

Design used for the trees (and potted plants) around the station:

46714709954_dbc5c29b70_b.jpg

Edited by dtomsen

I really like the detailing you included in this.   Thank you for sharing the way you did the doorway that is magnificent! 

I like that it was an actual building design as it looks quite striking! 

I know the brick count is insane to ease the cost have you considered duplo to give support under the platforms and inside?  Or do you plan to build the interior eventually? 

On 3/23/2019 at 7:35 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

I really like the detailing you included in this.   Thank you for sharing the way you did the doorway that is magnificent! 

I like that it was an actual building design as it looks quite striking! 

I know the brick count is insane to ease the cost have you considered duplo to give support under the platforms and inside?  Or do you plan to build the interior eventually? 

Thanks!

The first train station was also quite striking but was sadly enough torn down in the 1950s:

odense2.jpg

The newest one, not so much :sick:

Denmark-Odense_Railroad_Centre.jpg

As the train station was a purely digital projekt at first, I wanted a detailed interior and so it was designed with the possibility.

Huge brick count or not.
I will probably design but not build the interior the first time around, still considering one or two rather long platforms with ballasted tracks on both sides and one (built) road in the complete layout.
But I have modified my digital designs somewhat in the later stages using a huge number of 2 x 4 bricks marked in multiple colors (red, yellow and blue) where they can not be seen, hoping to reduce the overall cost.
A huge loan of parts and promised help with the platforms and ballasted tracks from fellow LUG.members helps a lot for sure :classic:

Edited by dtomsen

First post updated with new screenshots of the finished station :classic:

Not added are 2 long platforms and 3 additional rows of ballasted tracks.

Also not done yet are high quality renderings using either Stud.io but that is going to take some time with >23.000 parts !

Edited by dtomsen

That's a great model! ;-) Very impressive.

How many hours did you invested in "building" it?

Well, the idea would be worth to be realised! ... But it is questionable, if it would break. It seems you didn't fixed elements for long distances, right?

Nevertheless - a really cool project!! ;-)

Around 20 days or 100+ hours of design work including some smaller test-building.
It is very much designed with real bricks in mind and according to our Moduverse standard (Scandinavian MILS)
Extremely modular and using a lot of 2 x 4 bricks and technic for added stability and support.
Double and triple layer of bricks, crossing plates etc,
I think it would be fairly easy to transport, set up and take down.
Gathering all the parts on the other hand...that is going to be hard work and take some money :classic:

Edited by dtomsen

Updated with digital renders from Stud.io instead of screenshots from LEGO Digital Designer :classic:

Edited by dtomsen

Designs used for Odense Banegård and the platforms especially.

Infomation kiosk, ticket machine and vending machine:

48793234577_3548f43aee_b.jpg

Edited by dtomsen

Finalized the outer dual side platform design for Odense Banegård and made some renders with custom decals :classic:

The complete platform:

One of many possible combinations but based on the real platform for track 2-3.

Viewpoint from east to west.

Length: 256 studs (9 platform modules)
Width without track modules: 16+4 studs
Width with track modules: 48 studs
Parts with track modules: 8.015
Parts without track modules: 5.157

46654259555_5c4a88c274_c.jpg

From the start I went with a very modular approach where each module could be easily replaced with another, changing the overall appearance but not too much.

Each platform should really be twice as wide for both the platform and the roof compared too real life. And much much longer.

Unfortunately LEGO track geometry makes 32+4 stud wide platforms impossible even with 3rd party tracks. So the outermost part of the platform and the roof had to be squeezed to fit inside the limit of 24 bricks between parallel tracks.

So more inspired by than actually replica of the real thing.

Some individual platform modules.

Platform module with stairs to the main tunnel underneath:

47586979481_0ffba51cc1_b.jpg

Platform module with old wooden building:

The roof can be removed, giving access to the building inside.

47573823901_96bc367bd0_b.jpg

Platform module with benches:

46667474925_4233ccb998_b.jpg

Platform module with elevator:

47547315192_fd0559c1d8_b.jpg

Platform module with glass box (formerly used for smoking):

The glass roof can be removed, giving access to the box inside.

47578090111_d0eaa7ff25_b.jpg

Platform end module:

46877103874_6e54cee262_b.jpg

Technique used for the roof construction:

46654696405_e7db4f1e3f_b.jpg

Edited by dtomsen

That's a serious station. You've added lots of details to make it pop and be accurate to the source material. And yes, the new station is rather bland.