Sign in to follow this  
LegoDW

Question Land Speeder sets 75173 vs 75052

Need some advice.  Looks like they are discontinuing the land speeder set 75173.  Can get for $25 US. Wanted a speeder, OB1, Sandman and C3PO.  Luke good too.  Before I purchase, see they offered a set 75052.  This one looks pretty cool. Like the extra mini figs, both Luke and OBI have light sabers, not crazy about the giant lizard. Can get this for $135.  

Is 75052 worth the extra $100 or is their something else similar I should consider.  

91IEQUEKhgL._SL1500_.jpg

• 91yMiMFMATL._SL1500_.jpg

I have owned both and are both now in the parts bin but I can say without doubt 75173 is better. Its an evolution of the cantina set and is much more refined in its design. A couple of upgrades on the 75173 version that stood out were the more accurate curved tiles on the front and the engine pods were a lot more stable if I remember correctly.

75052 is a nice set but it was overpriced at release and has only become more overpriced on the secondary market after it was retired.

Thank you for you response.  I have never seen 75173 in person so I can only go off what I see on the internet. The new Speeder does look better, rounded tiles.  It does seam priced on the high side, but so is almost all Lego so I try not to get too hung up on that.  

Question, why is this set in your parts bin?  Looks like a really nice display.  What is lacking I cannot see from the pictures?  Is the Cantina too small?  

I guess in this case it depends on what is the priority of your interest.
If the main thing is the landspeeder, the Tusken and C3P0 then without a doubt go for the cheaper 75173.
If the two mentioned figures are not the main interest AND you are willing to pay more then I'll strongly advise for the 75052.
I don't have the newer landspeeder, but looking at pictures and reviews it seems that the changes from the previous version are minimal, and having the 75052 I can tell you that it's quite a nice display piece and can be easily combined with the newr cantina (which on its own is quite disappointing in my opinion).
Also, seeing as you're not interested in the moulded dewback (the lizard), if the set you're buying it's used and opened then I guess you could try and tell the seller that, since that piece alone usually goes for 20$.
As for the mentioned 3P0 and tusken, they're easily found in the Tatooine BP from last year (Tusken) and this year's 4+ A-wing and Dewback vs Escape Pod Microfighters (C3P0), all quite cheap sets to keep in mind for the future.

Also

7 hours ago, That Orange Thing said:

I have owned both and are both now in the parts bin

I am too wondering why they're in the parts bin, simple lack of space or straight disillusionment?

I own 3, two from 75052 and one 75137. There is minimal difference between the two, but 75137 has the edge due to the red curved pieces at the front.

I also put one in the spare parts bin, but that's more obvious owning 3 of them. (My spare obiwan and Luke went in my UCS falcon from '137 too).

Again it's down to your choice, if it's purely for the landspeeder, get the cheaper one. If you want a set with excellent dewback figure, sandtrooper, both musicians etc go for the cantina. Some of those figures command a decent aftermarket price if you don't want them (£15-20 dewback, £6-10 bith musician etc) making some money back against the more expensive purchase.

Hopefully this helps you decide :classic:

I had to move house because of a serious fire that left my collection really smoke and water damaged so I'm slowly rebuilding but it's taking a long time. The cantina is in the parts bin for a long time as it's an ongoing project to combine all the cantina sets I own in to a much larger moc. 

Great advise.  Would like to display Luke and Solo having a beer after a long day.  Got to get Chewy in their too.

4 hours ago, LegoDW said:

Great advise.  Would like to display Luke and Solo having a beer after a long day.  Got to get Chewy in their too.

For a cheap Chewie then get the last Millenium Falcon microfighter while it's still available

19 hours ago, That Orange Thing said:

I had to move house because of a serious fire that left my collection really smoke and water damaged so I'm slowly rebuilding but it's taking a long time. The cantina is in the parts bin for a long time as it's an ongoing project to combine all the cantina sets I own in to a much larger moc. 

I think I saw your thread about it a couple of years ago while I was still a lurker. Still, sorry about that, hope everything is getting better now.
And I hope to see the end result of you cantina project when it's ready :)

I would say the newer set from the standpoint of the speeder is not exactly a huge improvement. Yes, the curved tiles on the from look better, and the engines might be somewhat stabler, but it's not like the older Cantina set's speeder falls apart...and in the cantina set you get (part of) the Modal Nodes and, well...the Cantina :)

I bought that set at the end of the production run discounted for about 80 CHF, I think it was worth it. Complemented with the newer small Cantina (also bought discounted) the two makes for a pretty decent Tatooine vignette. I don't think I would buy it for 130 though...