Lipko

[MOC] Light Sport Aircraft - Two Seater Cruiser

Been meaning to reply to this thread, but never got around to it.

This has to be one of the most impressive MOCs I’ve seen on here. Just by looking at it I can tell that you’ve given every single pin all the way to every panel a painstaking amount of thought. 

Hall of fame worthy :wub:

Sorry to be bumping  this topic.....but I've been looking for instructions for this. I assume there are none....though @lipko has instructions for many other of his builds. Am I missing anything?

From what I can see the pictures are quite detailed. It should be possible to do a complete reverse engineering of this model. Personally I do not have enough time at the moment, but I suggest you try your hand to reverse engineer it with a Lego Cad program. 

_ED_

Edit: Actually after seeing the video again, I think I will reverse engineer it. But as I said I don't have the time right now. Maybe next weekend if Lipko don't mind.

Edited by Nazgarot

I had thought about that too.  I have never tried to reverse engineer something, I think it would be quite fun.  

However, I think the gearbox for the prop might be difficult without more details.  The gearing up for the prop speed with a simple twist of the hand is quite remarkable.  

I suggest you try and see how far you get. When reverse engineering always begin with the parts that are easiest to see, then work out the rest from there. Often it can be a great help having the parts around to see where and how parts must be mounted. 

Best of luck to you. Maybe we can help each other if/when I can find the time :) Would be cool to start a Reverse engineering thread for it as a forum project, if it is ok by Lipko.

_ED_

12 hours ago, Nazgarot said:

I suggest you try and see how far you get. When reverse engineering always begin with the parts that are easiest to see, then work out the rest from there. Often it can be a great help having the parts around to see where and how parts must be mounted. 

Best of luck to you. Maybe we can help each other if/when I can find the time :) Would be cool to start a Reverse engineering thread for it as a forum project, if it is ok by Lipko.

_ED_

:thumbup:  Thxs.  It will be some time before I can get to it as well, but I really think I would like to try.  It really is a phenomenal build.  If I run into a snag or two I am sure folks here on the forum would be able to help out.  

Hi, thanks for the interest!

I have a nearlyfinished LDD, I'll try to upload it on my brickshelf today or tomorrow. I didn't bother finishing it, because I thought the model is a bit flimsy (especially the tail) to my standards, but after seeing the new official heli model reviews, I think my model isn't any flimsier that that. If you like (and I would be very thankful!), you could finish the LDD from the photos (so we could add it to bricklink EDIT: rebrickable). I'll be back as soon as I can, though I have very little time for anything nowadays. BTW as far as I can remember, the propeller isn't geared up anywhere. The speed is due to the fact that it's operated by a 2L connector which you can "nipple" :) no habla englis

Edited by Lipko

Great!  Thanks for the response.  Yes, I can try to finish things when I get around to it. But yes, I will be building this at some point, once I have completed the other projects I have in que....

Cool, I'm also really interested!

10 hours ago, Lipko said:

have a nearlyfinished LDD, I'll try to upload it on my brickshelf today or tomorrow.

On 9/20/2022 at 3:48 PM, Lipko said:

Thxs  again @Lipko for the .lxf file.  I have not yet had time to fully look at the file, but a cursory review shows that it is missing nearly 200 pieces and is typical LDD presentation, that is, very piecemeal.  I don't state that as a problem, rather, that will add to the challenge and fun of reverse engineering the build!   As I look into the feasibility of doing so, I notice there are additional pics on the original WIP/contest submission of the project.  This one here: 

Can you recall how similar/dissimilar the photos in this thread are to the actual finished product?  Obviously, I have done a cursory review of the two, but there are too few to really determine their similarity.  If they are COMPLETELY different build then I will not bother with further study, but if they are fairly similar then I will keep them in mind as I recreate this build.   

Thanks in advance!

14 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Thxs  again @Lipko for the .lxf file.  I have not yet had time to fully look at the file, but a cursory review shows that it is missing nearly 200 pieces and is typical LDD presentation, that is, very piecemeal.  I don't state that as a problem, rather, that will add to the challenge and fun of reverse engineering the build!   As I look into the feasibility of doing so, I notice there are additional pics on the original WIP/contest submission of the project.  This one here: 

Can you recall how similar/dissimilar the photos in this thread are to the actual finished product?  Obviously, I have done a cursory review of the two, but there are too few to really determine their similarity.  If they are COMPLETELY different build then I will not bother with further study, but if they are fairly similar then I will keep them in mind as I recreate this build.   

Thanks in advance!

Hmm, how do you see that 200 pieces are missing? And yup, the grouping was missing, I usually do that.

There are differences between the WIP and the final model, the most important part (the middle section at the cockpit) is very different. The final model (the current thread) should be the same as the LDD.
Maybe there are some additional pictures here:
https://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=577009

And don't hesitate to ask specific things, because the model is assembled so I can have a look.

3 hours ago, Lipko said:

Hmm, how do you see that 200 pieces are missing? And yup, the grouping was missing, I usually do that.

There are differences between the WIP and the final model, the most important part (the middle section at the cockpit) is very different. The final model (the current thread) should be the same as the LDD.
Maybe there are some additional pictures here:
https://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=577009

And don't hesitate to ask specific things, because the model is assembled so I can have a look.

Great.  Thanks.  Admittedly I need to thoroughly look through everything before any specific questions.  I want to try and do everything with the least bit of assistance, makes it more fun.  

As far as the missing pieces, I admittedly am not up to speed on LDD.  It is somewhat dated and so I haven't used it in years.  But I am running version 4.3 and when I open the file it says there are 196 pieces missing and 8 have been removed due to incorrect placement.  So that is the reason behind all that....

FWIW, I tried opening in Stud.io and it looks OK. It loaded 1790 parts.

BTW Rebrickable doesn't officially allow uploading instructions for a model you didn't design yourself, even though you see those often due to the autoapproval process. See https://rebrickable.com/help/mocs-submit/

So I finally am finished with this build.  Thank you @Lipko for providing the necessary files, but most of all thxs for sharing such a wonderful build.  I made a brief video, but made sure to get you the credit.  

I did the same color combo (more or less) but kept the cross-section design because I like to see the functions so much.  As can be seen in the video and photos, I added a little skeletal framework to enhance the cross-section appearance of the plane.  

Difficult build, even with the .io files, but I mean that in a good way.  Even after knowing how all the functions worked I needed to fiddle with everything to get it all balanced.  

20230430_135312_small20230430_135319_small20230430_135548_small20230430_135459_smallmerge_small

9 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

So I finally am finished with this build.  Thank you @Lipko for providing the necessary files, but most of all thxs for sharing such a wonderful build.  I made a brief video, but made sure to get you the credit.  

I did the same color combo (more or less) but kept the cross-section design because I like to see the functions so much.  As can be seen in the video and photos, I added a little skeletal framework to enhance the cross-section appearance of the plane.  

Difficult build, even with the .io files, but I mean that in a good way.  Even after knowing how all the functions worked I needed to fiddle with everything to get it all balanced.  

Wow, it looks great, thanks for sharing!

One little thing though: the aileron should be almost straight with the flaps (the back contour of the wings should be straight and pointing slightly forward), I think the perpendicular connector holding the skeletal aileron near the end of the wing is flipped. Maybe that's the reason why it's so hard to get it balanced. It took me ages to get this right, but at the end if you do the gear teeth alignment right (which is modelled properly in the LDD), it should not be necessary to tweak anything, everyting on the axles are "in system".

Another smaller thing: the elevator linkage at the tail is slightly different. With your solution, the movement range of the elevator is much larger, but may be harder to operate at the same time.

The landing gear also needs synchronizing, but if all the landing gears are deployed and locked, it should be very easy to insert the small operating gear and having everything synchronized.

Edited by Lipko

Fantastic job to build this model of @Lipko! I like the skeletal framework for the cross-section appearance, did you found the time to update the io file while building?

Still on my wish list to build this two-seater.

44 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I'd volunteer making the instruction from the file Lipko provided.

@Lipko May I?

It would be an honor!

Feel free to ask any questions about the build, I still have the model at hand and I can recall the dificulties I had.

9 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

@Lipko After I finish, can I post the instruction on my Rebrickable? You'd be properly credited.

Yes of course.

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

@Lipko After I finish, can I post the instruction on my Rebrickable? You'd be properly credited.

Fwiw, this is against Rebrickable's rules and not allowed. You can make the instructions but Lipko must be the one posting them. Silly rule imho and not enforced as far as I can tell since there are many counter examples but something you might want to know anyway.