Sign in to follow this  

Hello! A few months ago my interest towards Lego came back and I have tried to keep-up to date with what happened in the last 25 years. I was astonished to see how much parts and techniques have improved. Snot, studless designs and angled/curved pieces changed it all and I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw on flickr the stellar current level of afols’ creations. I stopped building at the beginning of my teenage years in the early 90s, I started as a child with Space and then I switched to Technic. Probably my favourite sets ever are the spaceship Galaxy Commander (6980) and the Backhoe Grader (8862).

During these years I was tempted a couple of times, the first one was with the first Ucs X-Wing and the second one was with the Sopwith Camel (10226), but at the end I didn’t buy any of those sets. Now I maybe regret not to have purchased the biplane but I feel no regrets towards the X-Wing, I couldn’t stand the lack of details of the end parts of its laser cannons in such an expensive model (at that time). As a matter of fact – and I hope I won’t start a flame – I know that Star Wars sets contributed to save Lego from the bankrupt but they had – and still have in my opinion – a very negative impact in terms of creativity, considering that SW license was the main reason why the production of the Space line declined and eventually, due to the vicious circle, stopped.

Anyway a few weeks ago I built the amazing Jk Brickworks’ Sisyphus and then I bought his Pop-up book. I believe Jason Alleman’s mocs represent, in the Lego field, the exemplary link between engineering, the complexity of the technic mechanisms, and architecture, the aesthetics of the highly detailed models. Besides I find so commendable that he releases his instructions for free, he is not only a master builder but a true pillar of Lego community. I would like to build the Nativity, his pop-up book variation, nevertheless it is a very difficult goal for me because of the lack of the parts list. Actually I understand the video instructions but I cannot identify many parts because they didn’t even exist decades ago.

Moreover a small childhood’s dream that I would like to fulfill is to build a Transformer with Lego. Many years ago the level of robots was the one of the set 6951, I spent so many time trying to figure out how to build a Transfomer but I eventually gave up, coming to the conclusion that the needed pieces did not exist. Nowadays, thanks to the socket-ball joints and other parts, this kind of models are finally feasable.

My last objective would be to build a neo classic spaceship, some mocs are stunning and that shows how deeply loved and thus missed the Space line is. I especially appreciate Peter Reid’mocs – my favourite one is the Ll-497 - and I hope that some day he would release the instructions of at least one of his wonderful creations, trying to understand the structure of his models through some pictures is beyond my level.

I dont know if I will be able to achieve any of the previous goals and I am not even sure if I am (or want to be) out of the dark age, I certainly know that, as a child, to build using plastic bricks brought me a happiness that no other toy or videogame could match and I will always be grateful to Lego for these joyful memories.

2 hours ago, astral brick said:

Hello! A few months ago my interest towards Lego came back and I have tried to keep-up to date with what happened in the last 25 years. I was astonished to see how much parts and techniques have improved. Snot, studless designs and angled/curved pieces changed it all and I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw on flickr the stellar current level of afols’ creations. I stopped building at the beginning of my teenage years in the early 90s, I started as a child with Space and then I switched to Technic. Probably my favourite sets ever are the spaceship Galaxy Commander (6980) and the Backhoe Grader (8862).

During these years I was tempted a couple of times, the first one was with the first Ucs X-Wing and the second one was with the Sopwith Camel (10226), but at the end I didn’t buy any of those sets. Now I maybe regret not to have purchased the biplane but I feel no regrets towards the X-Wing, I couldn’t stand the lack of details of the end parts of its laser cannons in such an expensive model (at that time). As a matter of fact – and I hope I won’t start a flame – I know that Star Wars sets contributed to save Lego from the bankrupt but they had – and still have in my opinion – a very negative impact in terms of creativity, considering that SW license was the main reason why the production of the Space line declined and eventually, due to the vicious circle, stopped.

Anyway a few weeks ago I built the amazing Jk Brickworks’ Sisyphus and then I bought his Pop-up book. I believe Jason Alleman’s mocs represent, in the Lego field, the exemplary link between engineering, the complexity of the technic mechanisms, and architecture, the aesthetics of the highly detailed models. Besides I find so commendable that he releases his instructions for free, he is not only a master builder but a true pillar of Lego community. I would like to build the Nativity, his pop-up book variation, nevertheless it is a very difficult goal for me because of the lack of the parts list. Actually I understand the video instructions but I cannot identify many parts because they didn’t even exist decades ago.

Moreover a small childhood’s dream that I would like to fulfill is to build a Transformer with Lego. Many years ago the level of robots was the one of the set 6951, I spent so many time trying to figure out how to build a Transfomer but I eventually gave up, coming to the conclusion that the needed pieces did not exist. Nowadays, thanks to the socket-ball joints and other parts, this kind of models are finally feasable.

My last objective would be to build a neo classic spaceship, some mocs are stunning and that shows how deeply loved and thus missed the Space line is. I especially appreciate Peter Reid’mocs – my favourite one is the Ll-497 - and I hope that some day he would release the instructions of at least one of his wonderful creations, trying to understand the structure of his models through some pictures is beyond my level.

I dont know if I will be able to achieve any of the previous goals and I am not even sure if I am (or want to be) out of the dark age, I certainly know that, as a child, to build using plastic bricks brought me a happiness that no other toy or videogame could match and I will always be grateful to Lego for these joyful memories.

First of all, welcome back to Lego, Astral Brick! And to Eurobricks!

It sounds like you really had a love for Lego and I'm pleased to see that you've found it again.

I say dive in and build that Transformer you dreamed of as a kid. When you've nailed the technique and look, maybe consider posting it as an idea on Lego Ideas.

If you reach 10k support, Lego will review and consider making it into a set. Then, you get a small percentage of the profits from that set.

Anyway, I hope to see you around here often.