Hey everyone, 

Presenting my latest MOC, a telescopic excavator. This MOC is fully RC though it is kinda special since it only has 2 motors, but 7 RC functions! I was able to achieve this using a stepper design by @Sariel and the new orange wave shifter. So, here are the functions:

• Left track
  • Right track
  • Boom stage one
  • Boom stage 2
  • Extending boom (since it's a telescopic excavator)
  • Boom rotation
  • Opening cab door
  • Open/close bucket (manual)

I also focused a lot on the looks, but moreover, modularity. This MOC is easily separatable into 4 parts: telescopic boom section, bodywork, superstructure, chassis. The chassis even have 2 lever-operated locks rather than pins to attach the superstructure to the chassis.

Anyways, that's enough of me. Here's the video:

2019-03-12-07-24-462019-03-12-07-26-092019-03-12-07-27-362019-03-12-07-28-12

Well that's all, hope you enjoy!

BbBT

Very nice modular and clean built. This could easily be official set

Nice build, but I pity the guy who has to climb down into the pit to open or close the bucket!  Given the fact that you were already using a cord on the lift, you might have been able to create a pulley line that would have operated the bucket.  Failing that, access to a micro motor would have operated the bucket. Alternatively using a red 8T gear would have allowed an axel to slide on that extending boom, transferring power to the bucket.  I would challenge you to consider some of these options, which are of more practical nature than a powered operator's door.  However, it is still an interesting build.

Edited by trekman
spelling mistake

Yes!  Someone finally did it!   I say this because I don't think I have ever seen anyone attempt a telescopic excavator.  I know because I tried to also make one, or at least build a telescopic attachment to @Anto's excavator I build about a year ago.  Here is the evidence:

15524241361_DISPLAY.jpg

It was never completed and only a concept.  So I know how difficult this must have been.  I did quite a bit of research and never found really any other attempt at one of these.  In today's world, it is really something else to find a build that has not been replicated many dozens of times.  My main difficulty was that I wanted the bucket to be controlled pneumatically or be motorized.  Driving an axle for such a long telescopic arm would be near-impossible so I went for pneumatics (more realistic as well). It worked fine, but I could not devise a retracting system that would pull the hoses back and forth so they did not bunch up so horribly ugly (like in the pic).  I studied real telescopic excavators and this is how they appear to be designed.  They seem to have some retracting device that manages the hoses. 

Anyways, great job.  I am so glad this got built!

Hello! Fresh and unique MOC! Not a 100500th excavator! Looks very interesting - btw why you put wheels on the roof - any winch was supposed?

On 3/12/2019 at 8:29 AM, suffocation said:

Absolutely mind-blowing build! Love the rugged looks but most of all the intricate mechanics :wub_drool:

Thanks so much! The mechanics was the main motivation for this MOC so I'm glad the work paid off.

On 3/12/2019 at 8:49 AM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Wow. That is an awesome model. The range of motion and reach with that arm is one of the greatest I've seen.

Thank you! The outrigger blocks worked really well here. They are likely the reason for the range of motion I achieved.

23 hours ago, grum64 said:

Outstanding! Great work.

Thanks grum!

On 3/12/2019 at 9:00 AM, Jeroen Ottens said:

Big bad beastie

Very nice. I always appreciate gearboxes over many motors :thumbup:

Thank you! The reason I went with the gearbox was because of a lack of motors- I guess it all worked out!

On 3/12/2019 at 9:37 AM, I_Igor said:

Very nice modular and clean built. This could easily be official set

Thanks so much!

22 hours ago, trekman said:

Nice build, but I pity the guy who has to climb down into the pit to open or close the bucket!  Given the fact that you were already using a cord on the lift, you might have been able to create a pulley line that would have operated the bucket.  Failing that, access to a micro motor would have operated the bucket. Alternatively using a red 8T gear would have allowed an axel to slide on that extending boom, transferring power to the bucket.  I would challenge you to consider some of these options, which are of more practical nature than a powered operator's door.  However, it is still an interesting build.

I can't disagree with you. If I had more space I would have certainly liked to motorize the bucket (though the winch would have been the only feasible method since I don't have red 8t gears or 32l axles, or a micro motor).

21 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

It is a nice one.

Thank you!

19 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Yes!  Someone finally did it!   I say this because I don't think I have ever seen anyone attempt a telescopic excavator.  I know because I tried to also make one, or at least build a telescopic attachment to @Anto's excavator I build about a year ago.  Here is the evidence:

[...]

Anyways, great job.  I am so glad this got built!

Thanks! I quite like how yours fits onto Anto's excavator... and unlike mine your bucket is nicely controlled. Looks good!

18 hours ago, Sariel said:

Very cool! I'm happy I could have contributed to such a creative MOC!

SARIEL!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!! (I bet you're not surprised by the reaction)

Thank you so much!! It means loads coming from you since your videos inspired me to build Technic in the first place. Your stepper is really an amazing design BTW- it destroyed the other 5 or so I tried.

10 hours ago, Oliver 79 said:

Nice! I love the locking system for removing the superstructure. The modularity is great! ? 

Thank you!

7 hours ago, Aleh said:

Hello! Fresh and unique MOC! Not a 100500th excavator! Looks very interesting - btw why you put wheels on the roof - any winch was supposed?

Thanks a lot! Those wheels were meant to be an exhaust- just a detail.

1 hour ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Those wheels were meant to be an exhaust- just a detail.

Ah, understand! Thanx!

Only now saw the video! Model is much more interesting and complex than it could see from the first side!

Like how you implemented cab door opening (btw why is steering wheel inside? :laugh: As I now two levers can drive/steer real tracked vehicles) (this shows your attention to details, great!!) and stepper for functions! Modular solution is also great because you can put whatever you dream without rebuilding the whole model!

For me whole model looks a bit skinny, but I googled that and came up with understanding that this is due to original models.

So you made an self-opening door, but mechanical claws?

And... Why the hell did you use a cord (!) to drive those gear rakes?! Who adviced you the ridiculous solution?

No offense, but bigger is not always better! Please solve the problems that I found in your moc.

Edited by Yevhen

On 3/14/2019 at 4:02 PM, Yevhen said:

And... Why the hell did you use a cord (!) to drive those gear rakes?! Who adviced you the ridiculous solution?

No offense, but bigger is not always better! Please solve the problems that I found in your moc.

Your tone is very off-putting. You may be right with your advice, but please watch your words: "hell", "ridiculous" and the tone of your last request isn't acceptable. :hmpf_bad:

We want to stay friendly and helpful in a constructive way. That is, what your comment is not.

1 minute ago, Holodoc said:

Your tone is very off-putting. You may be right with your advice, but please watch your words: "hell", "ridiculous" and the tone of your last request isn't acceptable. :hmpf_bad:

We want to stay friendly and helpful in a constructive way. That is, what your comment is not.

The author of the model got so many positive votes. So I was trying to freeze him out and shed light on the numerous issues that caught my eye as soon as I saw the excavator.

1 hour ago, Yevhen said:

The author of the model got so many positive votes. So I was trying to freeze him out and shed light on the numerous issues that caught my eye as soon as I saw the excavator.

I have no idea if freezing out is what I would like to face. :look: So please stop that.

I was just referring to your tone and not that you criticized in general.
I would like to encourage you to do that in a more positive way from now on. :wink:

37 minutes ago, Holodoc said:

I have no idea if freezing out is what I would like to face. :look: So please stop that.

I was just referring to your tone and not that you criticized in general.
I would like to encourage you to do that in a more positive way from now on. :wink:

@Yevhen likes to "comment" without suggestion or to show us what he (I suppose that it is correct sex, or is another gender orientation :laugh: ) thinks it would be better, so nothing new :wink:

On 3/14/2019 at 4:02 PM, Yevhen said:

You again? Taking the umpteenth dump on other people's work when the only "moc" you've ever displayed here would be an embarassment even for a three-year-old at their first try with Lego?

I suppose that by "mechanical" you actually mean "manual", and "remote-controlled" by "self-opening" - such a pity you can't even get the most basic technical words right in spite of your "genius". In any case, the issues posed by implementing an RC claw have already been discussed at length; the RC door is a cool feature in any case.

The string-driven actuators are actually a very clever solution to bypass the issues posed by standard or even brick-built actuators when lifting a heavy boom.

@BrickbyBrickTechnic - props again for your brilliant creation, mate.

6 minutes ago, suffocation said:

I suppose that by "mechanical" you actually mean "manual", and "remote-controlled" by "self-opening" - such a pity you can't even get the most basic technical words right in spite of your "genius".

The same counts for this 'slip' (I hope). English is not Yehven's mother language. If we want to stay friendly, the bolded part was not necessary posting, was it? :wink:

@Yevhen Why don't you post more of your (I suspect) brilliant MOC's without any faults? Maybe we can all learn from you. :classic:

6 minutes ago, suffocation said:

You again? Taking the umpteenth dump on other people's work when the only "moc" you've ever displayed here would be an embarassment even for a three-year-old at their first try with Lego?

I suppose that by "mechanical" you actually mean "manual", and "remote-controlled" by "self-opening" - such a pity you can't even get the most basic technical words right in spite of your "genius". In any case, the issues posed by implementing an RC claw have already been discussed at length; the RC door is a cool feature in any case.

The string-driven actuators are actually a very clever solution to bypass the issues posed by standard or even brick-built actuators when lifting a heavy boom.

@BrickbyBrickTechnic - props again for your brilliant creation, mate.

Does your car have a remote control openable doors? Do you need the option in your car?

The string-driven actuators are not robust at all, because thus they rely on gravitation, so actually the boom is loose if you try to lift it.

I would make an RC claw if I built such an excavator.