onecase

[MOC/INSTRUCTION] ISD Monarch

On 3/25/2019 at 5:35 AM, bricksmarlin said:

I guess the question was visible, or not visible!
Visible!!!
So it should be light gray!

Thanks, hope to see your review on Monarch some day!

On 3/17/2019 at 9:34 PM, Ellisss_2 said:

Wow, beautiful build, the hanger detailing is fantastic! 

The lightings can also be included inside of the structure around the hanger bay.

Edited by onecase

On 3/12/2019 at 6:15 AM, legolijntje said:

That's very true. Both builders have completely different building styles. Both inside and outside are very different, even though they represent the same model (a Star Destroyer). And there is certainly no 'best' design. They're so different, they're both great in their own right.

Like choosing between a Ferrari or a Lamborghini :tongue:

can I be the Lamborghini?

Some iPhone pics I wanted to share of the ISD Monarch I completed a few weeks ago. By far my favorite build and was worth the sore fingers! Love the size of this thing! I kept all the exterior tile pieces MSG as I prefer the clean look. Also switch out the the 4531 Hinge tiles to the 1x3 tiles instead as the hinge tiles I bought were used and look a bit old. The instructions were great with some challenging parts like putting the middle engine section into place as it's a really tight fit. The 30374 bar 4L used to hold the 3 large death star half together felt a bit short so I used the 351894 plastic hose I had left over instead.

47758474821_b32288cb71_k.jpgMonarch by ambiguous626, on Flickr

46841963005_103724401b_k.jpgMonarch by ambiguous626, on Flickr

40791973293_9e6f771073_k.jpgMonarch by ambiguous626, on Flickr

40791973123_b2b372a5a5_k.jpgMonarch by ambiguous626, on Flickr

46841963125_aeed2870b3_k.jpgMonarch by ambiguous626, on Flickr

47758474841_6bdfd0a8d5_k.jpgMonarch by ambiguous626, on Flickr

47758474861_1b99dc8175_k.jpgMonarch by ambiguous626, on Flickr

Some size comparison

47758474931_00c9ec4841_k.jpgMonarch by ambiguous626, on Flickr

14 hours ago, viptouge said:

Some iPhone pics I wanted to share of the ISD Monarch I completed a few weeks ago. By far my favorite build and was worth the sore fingers! Love the size of this thing! I kept all the exterior tile pieces MSG as I prefer the clean look. Also switch out the the 4531 Hinge tiles to the 1x3 tiles instead as the hinge tiles I bought were used and look a bit old. The instructions were great with some challenging parts like putting the middle engine section into place as it's a really tight fit. The 30374 bar 4L used to hold the 3 large death star half together felt a bit short so I used the 351894 plastic hose I had left over instead.

I was hoping someone would post some pictures of this one out in the wild. You've done exactly what i would do (use LBG tiles for the whole exterior). In fact it looks like you've really gone all in and even painted the turrets? 

How stable over time do you think the tip of the nose is going to be?. It already looks like the bottom panels are drooping a bit there. I noticed this on Onecases original pictures as well. It looks like there isn't much in the way of connection points at the very front tip of the ship.

Having nitpicked that, I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is an absolutely gorgeous model. Great to see it here in natural light. I'm about to build the Aggressor but can definitely see myself building this in a year or so.

Edited by Rubblemaker

On 5/2/2019 at 7:57 PM, viptouge said:

<comparison picture>
Monarch by ambiguous626, on Flickr

This is the very first shot I've seen apart from my own build, you made such a wonderful comparison with other ships. Thank you for this.

Edited by BEAVeR
Please avoid quoting images as much as possible

On 5/2/2019 at 10:57 AM, viptouge said:

Those are some great photos of the Monarch! If I may, would you mind answering a couple of questions I have regarding the Monarch? Its mainly about the parts for the MOC.

23 hours ago, Evergreen said:

Those are some great photos of the Monarch! If I may, would you mind answering a couple of questions I have regarding the Monarch? Its mainly about the parts for the MOC.

Sure. Whats your question?

On 5/12/2019 at 11:29 PM, viptouge said:

Sure. Whats your question?

What were some of the other rare pieces in the build, asides from the hinge (4531) and the container (4424)?

Also how important is the Hinge Plate 1 x 2 with 3 Fingers On Side (2452) for the build? Is it for greebling or does it have structural importance? 

I'm about 70% done with getting the pieces for the build.  Off the top of my head, the list below are either ones still being looked for or are hard to get in quantity needed.  They are all available but can be expensive to get.

298c03 lever small base with light gray lever - black

6141 1x1 plate round - dark red

604552 tool wrench - flat silver

98115 - Death Star hemisphere - the bottom half is harder to get than the top

12885 paint roller - light bluish gray

75c14 hose - light bluish gray

3043 slope - light bluish gray - substituted light gray for this

85861 1x1 plate round with hollow stud - orange

6141 1x1 plate round - sand green

3960 4x4 dish inverted - trans clear

1 hour ago, sandtrooper said:

98115 - Death Star hemisphere - the bottom half is harder to get than the top

Note that the top should work almost as well as the bottom :)

Hey guys, here are the first WIP pictures from my Monarch!
Everything is running pretty smooth so far!
The manual is excellent as usual, so thanks to @legolijntje!
And of course and especially thanks to @onecase for this fantastic model!

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

11 hours ago, bricksmarlin said:

Hey guys, here are the first WIP pictures from my Monarch!
Everything is running pretty smooth so far!
The manual is excellent as usual, so thanks to @legolijntje!
And of course and especially thanks to @onecase for this fantastic model!

full

Awesome! Looking forward to your build process and final result. Will you be doing a comparison of Raskolnikov's ISD to Onecases and to the 10030 UCS ISD? 

I have a build going as well, though the photos aren't going to have the quality that @bricksmarlin's have.

The instructions are superb! Very easy to follow.

The construction is very sturdy. At first I thought all the reinforcements were overkill, but now that I have the four main panels on and have a sense of how much this weighs, I'm happy that the core is so strong.

48652047338_020fb2b886_b.jpg

I very much like the look of the tan and blue color accents in the original design, and I'm happy that I stuck with it.

@onecase's MOC is obviously gorgeous from photos, but that's nothing compared to seeing this magnificent thing in person. I can't express how thrilling it is to see this coming together in front of me.

48652394046_d8e87c9504_b.jpg

I used 1x3 LBG tiles along the back in place of the old-style 1x3 LG hinge plates, plus the new style 1x3 LBG hinge plates in the positions that had the LG lever handle accents. I just couldn't abide that much LG.

48652534402_ac160951ec_b.jpg

There are gaps between the main body panels and the side parts in a few places. This is caused by a couple or three of the turntable tops (one example outlined in the 2nd photo below). Fortunately those particular parts don't seem critical, so I'm going to carefully pry them off once I make a final tweaking pass over the whole model.

48652393866_e94164c339_b.jpg

48652139328_ed994f0093.jpg

The 1x4 tile that makes up the very front of the top center line doesn't sit well. Maybe I did something wrong, but the instructions call for two 1x8 tiles in a row with the 1x4 tile at the very front, but I think the solution is to have the 1x4 tile in between the 1x8 tiles.

48652029193_f46cc80e0a.jpg

Really excited to continue building!

3 hours ago, helpComputer said:

I have a build going as well, though the photos aren't going to have the quality that @bricksmarlin's have.

The instructions are superb! Very easy to follow.

The construction is very sturdy. At first I thought all the reinforcements were overkill, but now that I have the four main panels on and have a sense of how much this weighs, I'm happy that the core is so strong.

I very much like the look of the tan and blue color accents in the original design, and I'm happy that I stuck with it.

@onecase's MOC is obviously gorgeous from photos, but that's nothing compared to seeing this magnificent thing in person. I can't express how thrilling it is to see this coming together in front of me.

I used 1x3 LBG tiles along the back in place of the old-style 1x3 LG hinge plates, plus the new style 1x3 LBG hinge plates in the positions that had the LG lever handle accents. I just couldn't abide that much LG.

There are gaps between the main body panels and the side parts in a few places. This is caused by a couple or three of the turntable tops (one example outlined in the 2nd photo below). Fortunately those particular parts don't seem critical, so I'm going to carefully pry them off once I make a final tweaking pass over the whole model.

The 1x4 tile that makes up the very front of the top center line doesn't sit well. Maybe I did something wrong, but the instructions call for two 1x8 tiles in a row with the 1x4 tile at the very front, but I think the solution is to have the 1x4 tile in between the 1x8 tiles.

Really excited to continue building!

Hi @helpComputer,
great progress so far, and also great pictures!
I'm currently working on the panels of the bottom!

full

full

full

full

greetz
Steffen

On 8/29/2019 at 10:26 PM, viptouge said:

Looking good Marlin!

Thanks mate :wink:!

On 8/30/2019 at 2:35 AM, Evergreen said:

Awesome! Looking forward to your build process and final result. Will you be doing a comparison of Raskolnikov's ISD to Onecases and to the 10030 UCS ISD? 

Hello @Evergreen,
The comparison between the aggressor and the monarch should be no problem, the 10030 was disassembled and stowed!

Edited by bricksmarlin

2 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

What's planned for the three UCS B-wings?

The B-Wings are part of a long-term project!
In addition to Inthert's B-Wings, I will build a few of Jerac's X-Wings and Y-Wings!
The goal is a diorama like Brickvault's Yavin IV Rebel Base!

By the way, it would be a dream come true to get a manual for your Mon Calamari Cruiser someday!
Another masterpiece, your building skills are just unbelievable! *huh**oh2*

21 hours ago, bricksmarlin said:

I'm currently working on the panels of the bottom!

IIRC, when attaching the bottom panels to the skeleton, I had to remove one or two of the turntable tops from the edge of the bottom panels in order to securely attach all of the black pieces shown on page 620 of the pdf (step 112 of the bottom panel).

By the way, that trapezoidal opening in your bottom panel WIP photo and the assembly that fits into it is a great example of the elegant detail that makes this such a pleasant model to build.

Given that you have built so many of the amazing Star Wars MOCs out there (I gawk every time I run into a picture of your display room!), which have been your favorites in terms of assembly?

Hello everyone;

Been admiring this piece for some time now! I have the Aggressor built, but neither the space nor money for both of these! So I'm considering disassembling the Aggressor in favor of the Monarch, but I'm having a slight difficulty. Does anyone know of a way to apply the aggressor parts list to a Monarch wanted list so I could simply see what I'm missing, or do I have to manually count all the parts and add them individually?

21 minutes ago, caperica said:

Hello everyone;

Been admiring this piece for some time now! I have the Aggressor built, but neither the space nor money for both of these! So I'm considering disassembling the Aggressor in favor of the Monarch, but I'm having a slight difficulty. Does anyone know of a way to apply the aggressor parts list to a Monarch wanted list so I could simply see what I'm missing, or do I have to manually count all the parts and add them individually?

I used BrickStock to subtract a parts list of my few Lego sets from the Monarch parts list. BrickLink can import formats that BrickStock exports.

I'm really curious to know what the overlap is between the Aggressor parts and the Monarch parts. Let us know what you find!

2 hours ago, helpComputer said:

I used BrickStock to subtract a parts list of my few Lego sets from the Monarch parts list. BrickLink can import formats that BrickStock exports.

I'm really curious to know what the overlap is between the Aggressor parts and the Monarch parts. Let us know what you find!

Not as much as you think. When I tried it recently I was still left with needing to buy almost a grands worth of pieces. It seems they both use different sizes of technic bars for a large percentage of the build so most of the ones in the Aggressor become redundant. The Aggressor is famous for using a lot of very common and easily obtained parts whilst the Monarch is less so.