Bob De Quatre

[CONTEST] Benny's Spaceships Building Academy

Can I take a technic set and rebuild it using mostly system pieces, as long as it's still recognizable as the original technic set?

5 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

As said, the theme of this contest is to build a spaceship. So turning the portal into some sort of thruster is a good idea. Remember that the original set must be recognizable after the bennyfication process ;)

Nevermind - looks like mine doesn't qualify - it's an alt build, no added pieces. I don't see a way to delete a post, so hopefully an admin can delete my post in the Special Lego Themes forum.

https://bricksafe.com/pages/CathyVT/41637/mahemspaceship

Edited by vermontcathy

Great another Eurobricks moc contest. These always are fun to watch! Never mind take part in.

My question is this Bob. I just posted my entry for the Zombie moc contest a few days ago, is that considered too late?

18 hours ago, vermontcathy said:

Entries should be posted in the Sci-Fi subforum :wink:

18 hours ago, vermontcathy said:

Nevermind - looks like mine doesn't qualify - it's an alt build, no added pieces. I don't see a way to delete a post, so hopefully an admin can delete my post in the Special Lego Themes forum.

https://bricksafe.com/pages/CathyVT/41637/mahemspaceship

Yep, we're not looking for alt builds, but for modification of sets/MOCs into spaceships!

16 hours ago, Thedarkmaster2 said:

This sounds fun, but just to be clear, it's a modified into space ship like Emmet's dream house. correct?

You have to take a set/MOC and turn it into a spaceship like Benny would... with a bunch of antennas, thrusters, anything you think is necessary :)

8 hours ago, PaddyBricksplitter said:

Great another Eurobricks moc contest. These always are fun to watch! Never mind take part in.

My question is this Bob. I just posted my entry for the Zombie moc contest a few days ago, is that considered too late?

And that's a great entry... but alas a bit late :wink:

This time try to post your entry in time!

@Bob De Quatre Can I take a technic set, or other non-system set, and rebuild it using mostly system pieces, as long as it's still recognizable as the original set?

13 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

@Bob De Quatre Can I take a technic set, or other non-system set, and rebuild it using mostly system pieces, as long as it's still recognizable as the original set?

Sorry, I missed your post. You can take a Technic set, but rebuilding it with systeme pieces is a big modification of the set, too big I think. Could you not keep most of the Technic parts?

8 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

Entries should be posted in the Sci-Fi subforum :wink:

Might be worth updating that in the rules, before more people get confused.  It currently says to post them in the Special Themes forum.

Fun contest!  I look forward to participating.

Edited by TheNerdyOne_

18 hours ago, Space Police XVIII said:

This sounds like fun.

A question!  Are modified parts allowed? specifically, trans-clear windshields dyed yellow?

Modified parts aren't allowed (even if I really like the initiative of dying trans-clear windshields)

On 3/28/2019 at 8:36 AM, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

Absolutely awesome theme! Thanks Bob!

Since I seem to be the first to post an entry for the contest.. Is this valid?

Spaceship!

That's really awesome, I love alt builds, they always make you think differently. I may have misunderstood the rules, I thought we had to turn (in this example) the snow groomer into a spaceship while remaining true to the original model. So your snow groomer would have boosters and fins etc. (imagine a flying snow groomer). Is this true?

23 hours ago, boxyman123 said:

That's really awesome, I love alt builds, they always make you think differently. I may have misunderstood the rules, I thought we had to turn (in this example) the snow groomer into a spaceship while remaining true to the original model. So your snow groomer would have boosters and fins etc. (imagine a flying snow groomer). Is this true?

I guess we'll have to wait and see what Bob says, but my build is true to the original model, in my opinion. The cabin and front face's look remain, the tracks are still an essential part of the model and even more so, still serve the purpose of propulsion. The original model remain recognizable. It's not an alt build; many parts have been added and some aspects remain untouched. My understanding is that we're on a master builder's job here: a front snow plow or tracks make no sense for a spaceship, these parts have to be turned into something more flamboyant. For the house, they've not added random boosters to make the water tower look like a rocket, they have used the water tower parts to build boosters for the spaceship. It's fun because it looks like a house, even if it does not look exactly like the original house. Well I have a whole land vehicle's cabin complete with steering wheel on my spaceship, which I think is gloriously goofy enough to match the theme...

Edited by 1980SomethingSpaceGuy

On 3/29/2019 at 5:52 PM, boxyman123 said:

On 3/13/2019 at 12:51 AM, Bob De Quatre said:

Yep, we're not looking for alt builds, but for modification of sets/MOCs into spaceships!

You have to take a set/MOC and turn it into a spaceship like Benny would... with a bunch of antennas, thrusters, anything you think is necessary :)

On 3/11/2019 at 1:03 PM, Bob De Quatre said:

You must use parts that are not in the set! This contest isn't an alt build contest.
The set or MOC should be just a base for Benny to modify ;)

Sorry for the late reply... Had other things to do, away from EB :(

On 3/28/2019 at 10:46 PM, spongebrickpl said:

Only spaceships? Can vehicles take part, like space transporters or mobile airport trucks?

A spaceship is something that can travel in space, so a space truck is fine.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:36 PM, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

Absolutely awesome theme! Thanks Bob!

Since I seem to be the first to post an entry for the contest.. Is this valid?

Spaceship!

Yes that entry is valid!

On 3/10/2019 at 1:27 AM, Bob De Quatre said:

Entries' post must contain at least one picture of the official set or MOC on which you based your entry.

Does this have to be a member's own image of the set prior to Bennyfying or will a reference image from Brickset for example suffice?

A certain modular building has been thoroughly demolished in the process of Bennyfication  :wacko:

Edited by koalayummies

45 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Does this have to be a member's own image of the set prior to Bennyfying or will a reference image from Brickset for example suffice?

A certain modular building has been thoroughly demolished in the process of Bennyfication  :wacko:

You can post a picture from Brickset or an official picture.

Thanks for the super fast reply Bob De Quatre!

Cat A bennyfication is nearly complete. Cat B new MOC is also nearly complete and ready to begin bennyfication!

I started a Cat. A entry and got stuck... Hopefully I find time, courage and bricks to finish an entry!