Bob De Quatre

[CONTEST] Benny's Spaceships Building Academy

47335709741_1ec02452f6_o.png

Ever wanted to build a spaceship like Benny, the famous Classic Space minifig? Then grab your bricks and start modifying a set or MOC!

You can start with any set or MOC you want, there are no restrictions on themes, you can bennyfy a Star Wars spaceship, a city train, a modular building or even an Architrecture set or MOC! Add thrusters, wings, cockpits, laser guns, antennas, anything needed to make that set/MOC fly!

The original set/MOC can be modified during the process, but it should still be recognizable once modified. There's also no restriction on the bricks' colors to use for the set/MOC modifications.

Set 70831 Emmet's Dream House Rescue Rocket! is a good example of what we're expecting for this contest. In this example, the yellow house is the original set or MOC, and the Rescue Rocket is the result of the bennyification :classic:

Categories

A: Official path - Build a spaceship in the way Benny would, based on an official set.

B: MOC path - Build a spaceship in the way Benny would, based on a new MOC of yours.

Rules

• First rule: have fun!
  • The contest will run from March 10th to April 28th 2019. As long as it's still April 28th somewhere in the world, you can still enter.
  • Entries posted after the deadline will be disqualified.
  • This contest is open to all EB members, even if they joined EB after the contest has begun, with the exception of the EB staff, who can enter but are not eligible to win prizes.
  • One entry per member and per category. You can enter all categories with different entries, but you'll be eligible to receive only one prize.
  • All entries must be new creations, not posted anywhere else prior to being entered in the contest, including the MOC for category B. You may be asked by a staff member to change your entry if it is too similar to an earlier creation.
  • Entries' post must contain at least one picture of the official set or MOC on which you based your entry.
  • All entries must be built from real LEGO. No clone brands, no third-party custom parts.
  • Digital entries are accepted , as long as they are entirely buildable with real bricks!
  • Non-Lego light sources are allowed as long as you mention it in your entry description.
  • You can use official stickers or custom stickers.
  • All entries must be posted as a new topic in the Sci-fi forum, the title prefixed by, "[BSBA] Cat X - ". (For example, "[BSBA] Cat A - Benny's Saturn V".)
  • Post pictures no larger than 1024x768, but you may link to bigger pictures.
  • You may do a 'full-blown photo edit' with all the text, effects, background compositing, support erasing, and other effects on one picture. All your other pictures may have no editing other than color adjustment or background removal for a solid-color background. For obvious reasons, any photo editing that changes the shape, functionality, or color (not tint or adjustment, but actual color) of a LEGO piece is prohibited.
  • All entries are considered WIPs (Works In Progress) until the deadline passes. Until the deadline has passed, you are allowed to change and improve your MOC.
  • Winners will be determined by public voting.

Prizes

Category A first place: #70830 - Sweet Mayhem's Systar Starship!

Category A second place: #70831 - Emmet's Dream House/Rescue Rocket!

Category B first place: #70835 - Rex's Rexplorer!

Category B second place: #70834 - MetalBeard's Heavy Metal Motor Trike!

I'm definitely in! Just confused about one thing on "just don't use the same palette". You mean don't use the same palette of a MOC/set that we're modifying or don't use Benny's palette?

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

19 hours ago, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

I'm definitely in! Just confused about one thing on "just don't use the same palette". You mean don't use the same palette of a MOC/set that we're modifying or don't use Benny's palette?

Sorry that wasn't clear. The modifications should use a different color palette than the original set/MOC.

6 hours ago, danth said:

So for category A, we just take an official Lego set, and make it into a spaceship?

That's right. As written in the rules, you may slightly alter the set during your bennyizing the set :classic:

On 3/10/2019 at 10:27 AM, Bob De Quatre said:

B: MOC path - Build a spaceship in the way Benny would, based on a new MOC of yours.

[...]

All entries must be new creations, not posted anywhere else prior to being entered in the contest, including the MOC for category B.

The way it is written suggests that you have to build a new (not previously posted) MOC and a bennyfied version of that MOC, is that correct?

Or, can I take after an existing (and posted) MOC of mine?

On a completely unrelated note: isn't it time to get a sci-fi banner without zombies? :tongue:

Edited by Exetrius

I'm also a bit confused by why the palette needs to be different? The House Rescue Rocket has the same blue/yellow scheme. Or do you mean how the rockets on it are grey? (Because a lot more in that set is modified!)

2 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

The way it is written suggests that you have to build a new (not previously posted) MOC and a bennyfied version of that MOC, is that correct?

Or, can I take after an existing (and posted) MOC of mine?

It must be a new MOC, never posted before.

3 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

On a completely unrelated note: isn't it time to get a sci-fi banner without zombies? :tongue:

I need to work on that yes... :look:

Just now, Commander Turtle said:

I'm also a bit confused by why the palette needs to be different? The House Rescue Rocket has the same blue/yellow scheme. Or do you mean how the rockets on it are grey? (Because a lot more in that set is modified!)

You're right, it's a bit confusing... And it is also true that looking at the example (the house) the rule seems a bit, well confusing... I'll jsut remove it.

Looks fun! 

For category B... how do u define "new"? I haven't really built anything of substance in 2 years.

(Oh. Looks like u clarified that above)

~Insectoid Aristocrat 

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Cool idea. Could pick a character build of mine and turn it into a spaceship. That would be so weird. In a good way, of course.

9 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

That's right. As written in the rules, you may slightly alter the set during your bennyizing the set :classic:

I'm still sort of confused but starting to get the idea for this contest.

Which of these are allowed?

1. Taking an existing Star Wars spaceship set and changing only the colors to Classic Space
  2. Taking an existing set that is not a spaceship and make an alt build (turning it into a spaceship without using extra parts) meaning it will not resemble the original set at all, and the spaceship will not be in Classic Space colors
  3. Taking an existing set that is not a spaceship and not changing it very much other than adding thrusters/wings etc 

It seems like 1 and 3 are both in the spirit of this contest based on the contest description. Is that right?

And if the set doesn't have some special parts, like a windshield, can we add them, or it's up to us, to solve this problem? 

1 hour ago, danth said:

I'm still sort of confused but starting to get the idea for this contest.

Which of these are allowed?

1. Taking an existing Star Wars spaceship set and changing only the colors to Classic Space
  2. Taking an existing set that is not a spaceship and make an alt build (turning it into a spaceship without using extra parts) meaning it will not resemble the original set at all, and the spaceship will not be in Classic Space colors
  3. Taking an existing set that is not a spaceship and not changing it very much other than adding thrusters/wings etc 

It seems like 1 and 3 are both in the spirit of this contest based on the contest description. Is that right?

It's more like 3. The set/MOC can be a spaceship, that what fun would it be to bennyize it? Or maybe you can take a midi sized star destroyer and modify it to become a minifig sized spaceship :grin:

7 minutes ago, kahir88 said:

And if the set doesn't have some special parts, like a windshield, can we add them, or it's up to us, to solve this problem? 

You must use parts that are not in the set! This contest isn't an alt build contest.
The set or MOC should be just a base for Benny to modify ;)

Silly question: Do we have to have Benny or any other classic spaceman present in our moc?

Edited by Mitch Henry

1 hour ago, Bob De Quatre said:

It's more like 3. The set/MOC can be a spaceship, that what fun would it be to bennyize it? Or maybe you can take a midi sized star destroyer and modify it to become a minifig sized spaceship :grin:

You must use parts that are not in the set! This contest isn't an alt build contest.
The set or MOC should be just a base for Benny to modify ;)

Ok so now I have another stupid question which is more or less a clarification issue. 

Say I decided to Bennify... say... this David Bowie Elves set https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/Breakout-from-the-Goblin-King-s-Fortress-41188

And I got all fancy with the techniques, like using 1-2 bricks and 1-1 round bricks to make all the curves, and turned the "portal" into a big thruster thing and the cage into an ejectable prison-pod and turned the small boat into a small good-guy space ship...

Would that be the kind of entry you're looking for? Even if I significantly styled it up with cool AFOL-used techniques? 

~Insectoid Aristocrat

11 hours ago, Modeltrainman said:

What if it's something we dreamed up for this contest, and it's not sleek, and it doesn't technically look like it can fly?

It's hard to answer with just yes or no to this question...The theme of this contest is to build a spaceship, so if your entry has some sort of propulsion, and a place to pilot it, you can say that in space it doesn't have to be sleak to fly...

10 hours ago, Mitch Henry said:

Silly question: Do we have to have Benny or any other classic spaceman present in our moc?

No, that's not a requirement.

9 hours ago, Dannylonglegs said:

Ok so now I have another stupid question which is more or less a clarification issue. 

Say I decided to Bennify... say... this David Bowie Elves set https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/Breakout-from-the-Goblin-King-s-Fortress-41188

And I got all fancy with the techniques, like using 1-2 bricks and 1-1 round bricks to make all the curves, and turned the "portal" into a big thruster thing and the cage into an ejectable prison-pod and turned the small boat into a small good-guy space ship...

Would that be the kind of entry you're looking for? Even if I significantly styled it up with cool AFOL-used techniques? 

~Insectoid Aristocrat

As said, the theme of this contest is to build a spaceship. So turning the portal into some sort of thruster is a good idea. Remember that the original set must be recognizable after the bennyfication process ;)

On 3/11/2019 at 11:04 AM, Bob De Quatre said:

It must be a new MOC, never posted before.

Sorry, that doesn't anwer my question. Let me rephrase my question:

For cat. B, do you have to build a new MOC plus a bennyfied version of that MOC? So 2 MOCs for the entry? Or can I just build a bennyfied version of an existing MOC of mine? Which would mean 1 MOC for the entry.

Just now, Exetrius said:

Sorry, that doesn't anwer my question. Let me rephrase my question:

For cat. B, do you have to build a new MOC plus a bennyfied version of that MOC? So 2 MOCs for the entry? Or can I just build a bennyfied version of an existing MOC of mine? Which would mean 1 MOC for the entry.

You have to build a new MOC plus a bennyfied version of that MOC

Just now, Bob De Quatre said:

You have to build a new MOC plus a bennyfied version of that MOC

Alright, clear. :thumbup: