After some inspiration and ideas from the likes of @TeamThrifty, @I_Igor, @nerdsforprez, @kennywest and many others, and several hundred hours sat on the living room floor, i have functioning skid unit for my 1:12 MF 6716S tractor.

The real thing: http://www.masseyferguson.co.uk/mf6700s.aspx#360

Disclaimers: it uses third party tyres - 2.2" RC4WD mud basher tractor tyres - and there's still a way to go on sorting cables, pipes, detailing etc but the functions i wanted to replicate are all... functioning :grin:

33452483378_7c62bf32ed_z.jpgDSC_1185 

Functions: 

Full 4wd - no diff locks (no space!) from an XL motor which also drives the fake engine. From the rear diff the drive is split to two half-shafts on each side, driving z18s that engage inside the power miners wheels. This keeps the speed up and so torque down, and shares the torque going to the big rear wheels, as well as making a strong & balanced structure that (hopefully) can't pull itself apart under the torque.

Steering via an M motor & z24 friction clutch

"Quadlink" suspended front axle using 4 rubber figure of 8 donuts as the front mounts and two small pneumatic pistons as the springs

Working rear linkage & pto, plus working front linkage and pto

Working UK style automatic pick-up hitch - for those not 'in the know' this is standard fitment on most UK tractors and is basically a towbar that can be lowered and lifted with the rear link arms to attach trailers, and then locked into the raised position for safe towing or when not in use. The safety latch is operated from the cab.

Mounting position behind the fake engine for (future!) fitting a loader. Driven axles provide rotation to drive large LAs for the lift/lower and small LAs for the tip/crowd functions

Pneumatic system (incl tank) to provide pressure for the suspended front linkage, driving pneumatics on attachments (rear and hopefully on the loader) and for 'in-cab' operation of one of the changeover catches.

An L motor drives either the rear linkage or the loader lift/lower via a changeover catch (catch 1). The front linkage can be latched either to the rear linkage or to the loader drive via a second changeover (catch 2). This means the front linkage can either work simultaneously with the rear or, if there is no loader fitted, on its own. Putting catch 2 in neutral means the front linkage doesn't operate at all - for loader work.

An M motor drives either the rear PTO or the loader tip/crowd via changeover catch 3. The front pto can be connected, via changeover catch 4, either to the rear pto or to the loader tip/crowd. This means the front PTO can work simultaneously with the rear or on its own if no loader is fitted. Putting catch 4 in neutral means the front pto will not work at all - for loader work.

The changeover movements for catches 1 and 3 will be slaved and (hopefully) driven by a small pneumatic piston with valve lever in the cab - so this lever will control switching drive from the L & M motors between the rear linkage / pto and the loader. Movements for 2 and 4 will be manual.

The M motor also drives the pnuematic pump via a z24 friction clutch and changeover catch 5. The combination of on/off via the catch 5, friction clutch and air tank should hopefully give a full range of flexibility for keeping the air tank topped up without wearing out the friction clutch.

The plan is to use an SBrick to control everything, probably with two profiles - a 'loader' profile with joysticks to control drive & steering and the loader, and a 'field work' profile with joystick for drive & steering, sprung slider for linkage operation and latched slider for pto operation (if indeed such arrangement of sliders is possible - a future problem!) It could also be done with 2nr IR receivers and maybe a bit of mechanical jiggery-pokery to latch the PTO control on when required.

Some more pictures:

40363070623_ed263f1a4f_z.jpgDSC_1188

47328203091_2cac756f62_z.jpgDSC_1190 

47328183681_541b64de62_z.jpgDSC_1202 

47328210151_d28275efec_z.jpgDSC_1203

33452475958_b79c5643cf_z.jpgDSC_1191 

32386293807_818a75ab8a_z.jpgDSC_1192 

33452473728_9880bccff9_z.jpgDSC_1193 

32386293097_79bf911060_z.jpgDSC_1194

33452473038_704460674e_z.jpgDSC_1196

Oh, and this is the first time i've tried anything on this scale and complexity - my only previous moc experience of any note was a power harrow for the 8284 tractor... this Massey has made my head hurt! 

What a beast ! It uses class tires as the smaller wheels !

I loved the first picture with so many gears. But I do have one concern. The axles for a lot of gears are braced only on one side. That might not be so good for such a large model.

19 hours ago, iLego said:

The axles for a lot of gears are braced only on one side. 

Thanks. Hopefully I can incorporate some support for the gearing for the loader drive when I build up the cab & steering column. The z24 friction clutch & z8 drive pair don't have support on their outer sides, but adding a beam in would rub against the rear tyre. 

Try using hubs (despite small turning radius) because under such weight axles will bent :wink:

I'll wait to see how will it look when can and hood are on schedule because I had to make huge number of changes on my Fastrac to gain appropriate good and cab shape and proportions

Regards

a bit of progress - having to build up the outside bits in many colours, including raiding the kid's collection when they are in bed, so i can get the design sorted and then create a list parts, colours and quantities for the next parts order. The bonnet is a quick fudge but doesn't look quite right, so think i might take some inspiration from @eric trax and use system to get nicer looking shapes. Still a lot to do on the inside of the cab - i kind of got stalled so went on to the cab roof, which led to putting it in place to see how it looked...

33716431088_5be560e930_z.jpg

47540465232_2c7c818635_z.jpg

and a comparison against 42030 from earlier in the build

33716431608_7f0f0f4e7a_z.jpg

Edited by hpil
accidentally put text as hyperlink. oh well never mind...

@hpil It's nice to hear that you are inspired by my models. Your MF promises to be a very successful model so it's good that you want to take care of its appearance. I will follow the progress :)

P.S also have tires that you used in the back: D

Its the perspective - will post some more photos shortly, once flickr gets back up and running properly!

Shape looks recognizable :thumbup:

But it is HUGE *huh*