Sign in to follow this  
Exetrius

[Nocturnus Civil War] Onwards, to the Moruth Highlands!

Onwards, to the Moruth Higlands!

The Civil War of Nocturnus was yet to reach its climax. Lord Raavage had moved into the Rakath Mountains to retrieve the Necromancer's Helm, accompanied by a strong military force to ensure the perilous descent into the underworld was victorious. With part of Raavage's attention and strength diverted, the forces of the Resistance moved to the heart of Nocturnus - the Moruth Highlands - by the thousands, to strike the Black Spire as hard as they could. 

Gal-Turok's army split up in numerous groups, each heading their own way through the Moruth Swamplands. One such group had almost crossed the Moruth, when they ran into a checkpoint.

46406803395_2075eebbb8_z.jpg

Guard
In the name of Shadowmere, I require you to state your name and business! 

Goblin chief
I have orders not to answer to mere minions. Let us pass, or bring me your superior! 

Guard 
Well, aren't we being a little rough, Southerner - 

Guard 2 
- He will be here shortly.

33445974778_db3496af80_z.jpg

Messenger
Sorry to keep you waiting, sirs. Our chief is busy at the moment, but I can authorise you to pass if -

Goblin chief
- Authority or not, the battle is out there, and we gotta go!

Messenger
Hang on, hold up! I have intel on what's up ahead, but first I need you to verify you are men of Gal-Turok.

Goblin chief
Isn't that obvious then? 

Messenger
I'm terrible sorry to tell you this, but there have been reports of complete goblin squadrons resurrected by the Spire, sir. 

That news had to settle. The goblin chief promply removed his helmet.

Goblin chief
... Unbelievable, that can't be! How... vile, they are! 

Alright, here is my seal ring. I can assure you my men are alive, even if some don't seem like they are, and we are twenty-four in total; six canoes. 

Messenger
That's all I needed to know, sir. Please proceed!

33445973228_f628529c0a_z.jpg

Goblin chief
My men, we are moving! Thank you.. eh-

Messenger
-Keruem, sir.

Be wary of the friends who are foes.

Goblin chief
We will...

33445969598_35d76c75f3_z.jpg

---

Hi, here's another scene from the Nocty Civil war (previous one: Ambush in the Rakath). I hope you like it! :knight:

Edited by Exetrius
replaced "orc" with "goblin". Or are they considered synonyms in GoH?

Using trans-clear tiels for the water was a great idea here, it gives a really nice reflection for the canoes!  Love the reeds too! :thumbup: 

The clear water is an interesting idea for a swamp.  I like the vegetation on sides like the reeds.  Lovely figs too.  

I like the different heights that you use here, with the low water, slightly higher bridge, taller reeds, and then the trees; it makes for a visually interesting and compelling scene. The reeds themselves look great and were a good idea. I find the baby dragon a bit odd in the scene, though I enjoy how it turns to watch the events. The colors are excellent, too, giving a nice muted vibe to it, perfect for Nocty. Super glad to see you building up Nocty still, giving us a bit of a history lesson. Great work! I look forward to seeing still more builds like this from you, and maybe more about Zotharith at some point, too, unless they have vanished from this plane of existence.

Lovely nocty stuff here, Ex! Interesting choice for the water

Spoiler

(is there actually see-through water in Nocturnus??! :poke:)

- the result effect is very nice and fits well with the surreoundings. I didn't know about your previous vignette about nocty civil war - love the idea of you telling the story of what happened before while the Guild is temporary closed :thumbup::thumbup:

.. and I guess @Blufiji will be also glad to see this, when he pops back around here (<-- note the 'when', not 'if'... :wink:)

On 3/9/2019 at 4:48 PM, Kai NRG said:

Using trans-clear tiels for the water was a great idea here, it gives a really nice reflection for the canoes!  Love the reeds too! :thumbup: 

Thanks, Kai! I like that you mention the reflection, because I tried various rooms house to find the spot where the light hit the trans tiles just the way I wanted it. :grin:

On 3/9/2019 at 5:25 PM, The Last of Nergoue said:

Nice moc, the reeds are very nice as well as the texturing in the water!

On 3/11/2019 at 4:28 AM, zoth33 said:

The clear water is an interesting idea for a swamp.  I like the vegetation on sides like the reeds.  Lovely figs too.  

On 3/11/2019 at 2:30 PM, W Navarre said:

Splendid MOC, that terrain looks alive and atmospheric! Very Nocty too, I like this a lot :thumbup: .

13 hours ago, Servertijd said:

Nice build! I like the water and all the vegatation.

Thank you, guys! I spent quite a bit of time on fig (and peddle) posing to make the scene come to life.  

On 3/12/2019 at 9:11 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I like the different heights that you use here, with the low water, slightly higher bridge, taller reeds, and then the trees; it makes for a visually interesting and compelling scene. The reeds themselves look great and were a good idea. I find the baby dragon a bit odd in the scene, though I enjoy how it turns to watch the events. The colors are excellent, too, giving a nice muted vibe to it, perfect for Nocty. Super glad to see you building up Nocty still, giving us a bit of a history lesson. Great work! I look forward to seeing still more builds like this from you, and maybe more about Zotharith at some point, too, unless they have vanished from this plane of existence.

Hearing this is worth a lot, Henjin! I didn't have to look far for inspiration for this one: I'm lucky enough to see this kind of landscape from by bedroom; it's just across the street as you can see in the background here. The bushes beneath the trees were quite essential to tie the layers together, btw.

I thought having the tan reeds here would work for Moruth, which is often more green and darker. The dragon I consider as a (adult) tamed flying lizard, btw. The swamps of Nocturnus are full of biodiversity, they are more like jungles (look at the artwork here), but imo animal/monster biodiversity has been underrepresented in many Nocty swamp builds. That's why I threw it in, more as an afterthought. Noticed the spider as well? :wink:

No, Zotharith hasn't vanished, don't worry! There's some more of the Civil War that I want to illustrate with builds. The official Guild lore has 'top-down' covered the war almost sufficiently (the main leaders and battles stuff), but I want to add a 'bottom-up' perspective (citizens being attacked, small pockets of fighting), so to say, to make the impact on a daily-life level more pronounced.  

1 hour ago, en_zoo said:

Lovely nocty stuff here, Ex! Interesting choice for the water

Reveal hidden contents

(is there actually see-through water in Nocturnus??! :poke:)

- the result effect is very nice and fits well with the surreoundings. I didn't know about your previous vignette about nocty civil war - love the idea of you telling the story of what happened before while the Guild is temporary closed :thumbup::thumbup:

.. and I guess @Blufiji will be also glad to see this, when he pops back around here (<-- note the 'when', not 'if'... :wink:)

Thanks! You're right, 9/10 times Nocty water has been built with opaque dark green, lime or black. I much prefer transparent water and I bet others do too, but trans (clear, brown, or green) is just hard come by in larger quantities (same goes for tiles in general, leaves, etc...) with a limited budget. I got ahold of that last two years, so behold the fruits of that acquiry! :tongue: :grin:

I'm a proud Nocty, I'll keep the builds and lore coming! 

Well, I portrayed his troops, so I hope I did them justice. And of course his swamp builds have more than a little inspired me to do this build. :wink:    

4 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Hearing this is worth a lot, Henjin! I didn't have to look far for inspiration for this one: I'm lucky enough to see this kind of landscape from by bedroom; it's just across the street as you can see in the background here. The bushes beneath the trees were quite essential to tie the layers together, btw.

I thought having the tan reeds here would work for Moruth, which is often more green and darker. The dragon I consider as a (adult) tamed flying lizard, btw. The swamps of Nocturnus are full of biodiversity, they are more like jungles (look at the artwork here), but imo animal/monster biodiversity has been underrepresented in many Nocty swamp builds. That's why I threw it in, more as an afterthought. Noticed the spider as well? :wink:

No, Zotharith hasn't vanished, don't worry! There's some more of the Civil War that I want to illustrate with builds. The official Guild lore has 'top-down' covered the war almost sufficiently (the main leaders and battles stuff), but I want to add a 'bottom-up' perspective (citizens being attacked, small pockets of fighting), so to say, to make the impact on a daily-life level more pronounced.

You've got some nice-looking WIPs going there, I see. The green water looks cool! I definitely noticed the spider, but that didn't seem out of place like the flying lizard did.  Glad to know Zotharith is still around. 

2 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

You've got some nice-looking WIPs going there, I see. The green water looks cool! I definitely noticed the spider, but that didn't seem out of place like the flying lizard did.  Glad to know Zotharith is still around. 

Thanks! I'll try to finish those between now and end of spring. I'll get distracted time and again though. In fact, this was a 2-day procrastination build in itself. :shrug_oh_well: 

Very nice!  I like the dark, Nocturnian feel.  Once I finally get Prenmôr on the HSS map, I may contact you about a potential Nocturnus build.  I really like the setting, and would like to contribute to some of the holes that need to be filled there.  I'm really happy that you are continuing to move the Nocturnus story along, despite it being closed at the moment.

6 hours ago, Grover said:

Very nice!  I like the dark, Nocturnian feel.  Once I finally get Prenmôr on the HSS map, I may contact you about a potential Nocturnus build.  I really like the setting, and would like to contribute to some of the holes that need to be filled there.  I'm really happy that you are continuing to move the Nocturnus story along, despite it being closed at the moment.

Thank you! Good luck with our HSS builds, I plan on making an attempt for my own city as well. I'd be happy to discuss the possibilities for filling the holes, via PM or the Guild thread:sweet:

wow, I can hear the mosquitoes singing! :-D Very swampy build, really nice!

On 3/18/2019 at 6:09 PM, Aine said:

wow, I can hear the mosquitoes singing! :-D Very swampy build, really nice!

23 hours ago, Faladrin said:

Great rendition of a swampy riverside !

I like your colours and good reeds too !

Good job mate ! :thumbup:

Thanks! 

Very fun to see a Nocturnus setting again! Lovely swamp with the numerous cattails and rickety wood bridge fitting in perfectly :wub:

On 3/20/2019 at 6:56 PM, de Gothia said:

Lovely moc! I really like the dense vegetation!!

Thank you!

3 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Very fun to see a Nocturnus setting again! Lovely swamp with the numerous cattails and rickety wood bridge fitting in perfectly :wub:

Thanks! 

On 7/4/2019 at 6:30 AM, Blufiji said:

NOT BAD AT ALL! Good to see Nocty is alive and well in some form. 

Cheers! :knight::grin: