Hi everyone

This my latest MOC and project for LEGO Ideas. My interpretation of a classic American style Police Station.

40352113713_bc94d22e84_b.jpg

Brick Town Police Station is a corner modular building built to the standard 32x32 footprint. The model is made up from 2826 pieces. The main focus of the model is the Police Station itself but I've also included doughnut store and a Police car.

33441422148_2756069b6b_z.jpg33441421078_0de9a32b02_z.jpg

33441421318_c5ed4d65a7_z.jpg33441420768_fdbd5e833b_z.jpg

MINIFIGURES

The model features 6 minifigures, including 4 Police officers, a criminal and the doughnut store worker. A Police dog is also included.

46593944744_08790bafb1_z.jpg

LEVEL 1 - DOUGHNUT STORE AND POLICE STATION

The ground level depicts a corner street scene. Various details include a bench, tree and water hydrant. A series of steps lead up to the main entrance of the police station which is set at a 45 degree angle to the rest of the building.

46402162265_b2cb16ecf5_z.jpg

46593902754_c0c35e7a15_z.jpg

The Police Station also features a garage with a barrier that can be raised and lowered to allow the Police car to drive through to the back of the building.

47264744312_c8d2069af1_z.jpg

Next door to the Police station is the doughnut store featuring bright red striped awning and a large doughnut sign on the roof. A narrow recess between the 2 buildings leads to a separate staff entrance in to the police station.

40352143653_7f648d18b0_z.jpg

40352144063_49637911f7_z.jpg

46402174545_8e63972dfd_z.jpg

On the ground level of the police station is the reception desk and waiting room.

33441458578_9733d009e5_z.jpg

Behind the desk I've included a coffee machine and some equipment storage.

33441458078_f94c05376b_z.jpg

There is also a door in this room that leads out to the back of the building where the police car can be parked.

47264743842_279c25274a_z.jpg

LEVEL 2 - OFFICES AND INTERROGATION ROOM

A staircase on the ground level leads in to the Chief's office on the next floor. The office features the Chief's desk with a tiny typewriter and other details.

33441461488_8b14a41a28_z.jpg

46593928234_8e5c44bd89_z.jpg

Level 2 also features a staff office room with a water cooler and equipment storage. A window in this room overlooks the interview/interrogation room.

40352162053_7297cb719d_z.jpg

32375319237_418d4f59ff_z.jpg

32375318737_fd4fe1d469_z.jpg

LEVEL 3 - HOLDING CELLS

The third level includes 2 prison holding cells.

33441467548_590ef48f3c_z.jpg

40352169593_509475129d_z.jpg

33441467078_a742a31bc9_z.jpg

A door inside this room also gives the mini figs access on to the roof.

47317201261_569b9e0a70_z.jpg

POLICE CAR

The police car is 6 studs wide but has space to fit 2 mini figs side by side in the front seats.

47264782352_b33d29907b_z.jpg

40352175003_332165d474_z.jpg

47264781132_d5b13929f2_z.jpg

40352174673_70bae5dbdc_z.jpg

THE FINISHED MODEL

46402204005_3c499f8006_z.jpg

46593937474_160612d008_z.jpg

46402203575_da7a2acc1e_z.jpg

32375288237_5c066b910f_z.jpg

The image below shows this moc alongside my other modular buildings. Left to right - The Queen Bricktoria, Brick Square Post Office, Bricks & Blooms and The Convenience Store

33441478618_d6c4d64552_b.jpg

LEGO IDEAS

I've added Brick Town Police Station to LEGO Ideas. If you like the model then I'd be massively grateful if you could please spare a few moments to check out the page on LEGO Ideas and give it your support. 

http://bit.ly/legomodularpolice

Thanks for reading and I hope you like Brick Town Police Station, feel free to let me know what you think. If you'd like to see more, then head across to my Flickr page where I've uploaded many more pictures of the model. :classic:

Edited by Bricked1980

Another great MOC from you. Excellent job.

But I have to ask you: why are you submitting those modulars to Ideas? At this point we can say that LEGO would not approve something that they have a line about, and could conflict with non announced projects. And submitting it to Ideas means Lego owns the project for years after they refused it, so you cannot sell instructions.

Love the typewriter, love the water cooler. I also like how you used tooth plates to represent the folded-over part of the bedsheet. The police car is great as well. You've outdone yourself with the renderings this time, too.

I think the doughnut, though, is a bit of a miss: too busy with round (??) sprinkles, and it doesn't seem to be completely covered in icing.

Gorgeous work Bricked1980. There's so many great parts usage, texture techniques and connection choices that make it filled with great fine detail throughout. The vertical tiles over the profile bricks, the angled stacked brick look around the front doors, even the interior steps from the front doors show so much thought in every area. It really does feel like a cluttered older-building police station like many precincts/districts/divisions on the east coast. And the snot work on the car is great. I also love the repeated use of vines in your builds as City/Modulars can always benefit from some greenery. Fantastic MOC.

1 hour ago, Chiaroscuro said:

But I have to ask you: why are you submitting those modulars to Ideas? At this point we can say that LEGO would not approve something that they have a line about, and could conflict with non announced projects. And submitting it to Ideas means Lego owns the project for years after they refused it, so you cannot sell instructions.

I agree with this LEGO is not likely to approve the MOC for a set because the modulars are such great seller and then they own the idea for a few years after it gets rejected. As a MOC creator, there is way more to be had in selling instructions. not that is the goal but the shareability of your talents as a great MOC'er is way more available when you arent beholden to LEGO. 

This is awesome, with a striking facade on the police station!  Lots of great details on the inside too, my favourites being the typewriter and the sheets hanging off the beds.  I also like how you have scattered donuts throughout the station!

Good modular! Quite similar in style to your previous but a tad different. I really like the layout of these buildings, with a prominent main façade but with level changes to keep the eye interested in the other areas of the model. The courtyard on the back and the covered alleyway leading to it is just amazing; probably my favourite bit. That said, the main façades are not particularly interesting to me, but that's probably because I tend to enjoy "crazier" designs more. I like how you've snock elements from different official sets into this, like the palisade bricks to form the back border of the roofs (like in DD), or the exterior ladder which is similar to the one in AS. The barrel on the back looks like the one in CG too :wink:.

I really like the shaping in the back of the police car with the curved plates; it's remarkably simple but well done! Overall, a good design. Congrats!

20 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

But I have to ask you: why are you submitting those modulars to Ideas? At this point we can say that LEGO would not approve something that they have a line about, and could conflict with non announced projects.

I'd think of it this way: Lego still accepts and submits Modular Building projects on Ideas (as so they do with BrickHeadz projects strangely), so I'd guess they're ulteriorly using the Ideas platform as a way of gauging interest in various concepts for such preexisting lines, whether or not they achieve support. :shrug_oh_well:

Great build overall, as we're used to when you get down to it :excited:

Like this a lot better than your last one, great detailing throughout, both on the exterior and interior. I absolutely love the typewrite, such a simple little build, yet you instantly know what it's supposed to be (assumning you're old enough to have seen one in real-life, that is).

Only thing I don't particularly like is the usage of medium blue and dark orange (or is it medium dark flesh?) on the facade. Feels a bit jarring and doesn't go too well with the otherwise tan and grey color scheme. Maybe losing the medium blue would already fix that, otherwise I'd go with a more muted color, maybe dark tan?

Regarding the Ideas discussion: Some valid points made, but overall I don't see anything wrong with following one's dream to get a MOC produced as a set. Unlikely though it may be in case of modulars.

Edited by RogerSmith

I like this, and my personal favourite point is (what a surprise) the typewriter. I gonna build that for sure.

This is a digital MOC, and cannot be built without color scheme redesign, and/or replacing several parts. Therefor selling instructions is not 'fair'. So I cannot see why not to submit it to Ideas. Unlikely to succseed, but the only way to have it in its original shine.

4 hours ago, kodlovag said:

I like this, and my personal favourite point is (what a surprise) the typewriter. I gonna build that for sure.

This is a digital MOC, and cannot be built without color scheme redesign, and/or replacing several parts. Therefor selling instructions is not 'fair'. So I cannot see why not to submit it to Ideas. Unlikely to succseed, but the only way to have it in its original shine.

Oh I am no way criticizing him, he is really a talent MOCer (yes, the type writing is amazing). 

If he wants to go for Ideas, great! But as he is already selling some of his designs it makes me a little sad that we may not see this in full brick glory if LEGO doesn’t start approving modulars. Even if it is a digital MOC, with a bit of extra work it can be reworked into existing pieces.

On 3/8/2019 at 5:34 PM, Chiaroscuro said:

Another great MOC from you. Excellent job.

Thanks very much! :classic:

On 3/8/2019 at 5:37 PM, jimmynick said:

Love the typewriter, love the water cooler. I also like how you used tooth plates to represent the folded-over part of the bedsheet. The police car is great as well. You've outdone yourself with the renderings this time, too.

I think the doughnut, though, is a bit of a miss: too busy with round (??) sprinkles, and it doesn't seem to be completely covered in icing.

Thanks very much. Glad you like the typewriter. It's only a little build made up from just 9 bricks but that does seem to be the one feature that most people like the best.

The doughnut is supposed to look as if the chocolate icing is kind of dripping down from the top. A bit like in this image.

Related image

On 3/8/2019 at 5:58 PM, koalayummies said:

Gorgeous work Bricked1980. There's so many great parts usage, texture techniques and connection choices that make it filled with great fine detail throughout. The vertical tiles over the profile bricks, the angled stacked brick look around the front doors, even the interior steps from the front doors show so much thought in every area. It really does feel like a cluttered older-building police station like many precincts/districts/divisions on the east coast. And the snot work on the car is great. I also love the repeated use of vines in your builds as City/Modulars can always benefit from some greenery. Fantastic MOC.

Thanks a lot. I wanted to steer away from the usual grey / white / blue colour scheme that a lot of people use for police station mocs. I did want it to have a slightly cluttered, old fashioned feel to it so I'm glad you mentioned that in your comment.

I tried not to include too many flowers with this one as I didn't think they'd suit a police station, but I couldn't help sneaking in my usual vines growing up the side of the walls. :laugh:

On 3/8/2019 at 8:11 PM, Kristel said:

This is awesome, with a striking facade on the police station!  Lots of great details on the inside too, my favourites being the typewriter and the sheets hanging off the beds.  I also like how you have scattered donuts throughout the station!

Many thanks. Yes there are plenty of donuts spread throughout the building. :classic:

On 3/9/2019 at 9:01 AM, paupadros said:

Good modular! Quite similar in style to your previous but a tad different. I really like the layout of these buildings, with a prominent main façade but with level changes to keep the eye interested in the other areas of the model. The courtyard on the back and the covered alleyway leading to it is just amazing; probably my favourite bit. That said, the main façades are not particularly interesting to me, but that's probably because I tend to enjoy "crazier" designs more. I like how you've snock elements from different official sets into this, like the palisade bricks to form the back border of the roofs (like in DD), or the exterior ladder which is similar to the one in AS. The barrel on the back looks like the one in CG too :wink:.

I really like the shaping in the back of the police car with the curved plates; it's remarkably simple but well done! Overall, a good design. Congrats!

Thanks. I'm pleased with how the rear courtyard area turned out. My original idea was only to include this as a way of lowering the parts count by cutting out a large chunk of the rear of the building. It makes a little parking area for the car though and I think if other buildings were positioned on each side it would create a nice enclosed courtyard space. 

You are right with your reference to some elements being inspired by official modulars. Another one is the front seats of the car. These are built in a similar way to how they are done with the Downtown Diner car, allowing 2 passengers to sit side by side.

On 3/9/2019 at 3:43 PM, RogerSmith said:

Like this a lot better than your last one, great detailing throughout, both on the exterior and interior. I absolutely love the typewrite, such a simple little build, yet you instantly know what it's supposed to be (assumning you're old enough to have seen one in real-life, that is).

Only thing I don't particularly like is the usage of medium blue and dark orange (or is it medium dark flesh?) on the facade. Feels a bit jarring and doesn't go too well with the otherwise tan and grey color scheme. Maybe losing the medium blue would already fix that, otherwise I'd go with a more muted color, maybe dark tan?

Thanks very much and I'm glad you like this more than my last one. :grin:

I added the blue stripe to the facade of the police station as an attempt to give some continuity with the blue building above the donut shop. Maybe a different colour would have worked better though. I'll try out some different variations.

On 3/10/2019 at 9:28 AM, kodlovag said:

Thanks very much. :classic:

20 hours ago, peedeejay said:

Great build again! The typewriter is ingenious! 

Thanks, glad you like the typewriter. :classic:

6 hours ago, adwind said:

Charming as always! Very detailed and the whole idea is great and fun :)

Thank you very much.

On 3/8/2019 at 5:34 PM, Chiaroscuro said:

I have to ask you: why are you submitting those modulars to Ideas? At this point we can say that LEGO would not approve something that they have a line about, and could conflict with non announced projects. And submitting it to Ideas means Lego owns the project for years after they refused it, so you cannot sell instructions.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:37 PM, supertruper1988 said:

I agree with this LEGO is not likely to approve the MOC for a set because the modulars are such great seller and then they own the idea for a few years after it gets rejected. As a MOC creator, there is way more to be had in selling instructions. not that is the goal but the shareability of your talents as a great MOC'er is way more available when you arent beholden to LEGO. 

I'm sorry if anyone was disappointed that I chose to put this model on LEGO Ideas. I designed this one right from the start with that intention though and there are many parts used that aren't currently available in my chosen colours. I also spent quite a long time working out how to keep it below the 3000 parts limit, which is surprisingly difficult with modulars. All of that was just so that it would be small enough to go on Ideas.

I know I could have gone with the instructions route for this and maybe even earned some cash from doing so. I do very much enjoy the LEGO Ideas experience though and promoting my models is something I enjoy a lot and has become quite a labor of love. Whether or not the modulars would ever get selected for production is open to debate and I agree that the odds may not be in my favor with that. But who knows, you never know unless you try. It has become a bit of a personal ambition of mine to get one of my projects up to 10,000 votes. I would absolutely love to achieve that, regardless of whether the model was ever produced or not.

I definitely haven't turned my back on sharing instructions though. My Brick Square Post Office has received a great response for the instructions released a few weeks ago and I'd love to follow that up by releasing instructions for the Queen Bricktoria pub as well at some point. I've also got lots of other ideas for future models too.

With this Police Station moc, I just felt that I wanted to put it on Lego Ideas though.

Edited by Bricked1980

We don’t know if LEGO will produce an Ideas modular. AFAIK the only modular to hit 10k was my Apple Store from years ago and that was likely rejected for licensing reasons. But it is true that if LEGO had a rule against modulars, the projects wouldn’t be approved.

back on track, love the typewriter.

Edited by gotoAndLego

On 3/12/2019 at 4:52 PM, carebear said:

This looks Amazing!!!

the Pictures are Briljant!!!

thanks for this!!!

Greetings!

Thanks very much. Glad you like the pictures.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:28 AM, essel said:

Lovely, gorgeous build, as usual! TLG should definitely hire you! :blush:

Thank you very much for the compliment. :classic:

On 3/13/2019 at 11:48 AM, gotoAndLego said:

We don’t know if LEGO will produce an Ideas modular. AFAIK the only modular to hit 10k was my Apple Store from years ago and that was likely rejected for licensing reasons. But it is true that if LEGO had a rule against modulars, the projects wouldn’t be approved.

back on track, love the typewriter.

Glad you like the typewriter.

Regarding LEGO Ideas, the set that people always seem to refer to is the Modular Arcade which reached 10,000 but was not selected for production. I'm not sure how many modular buildings have ever achieved 10,000 votes apart from that one. Surely though if LEGO were completely opposed to producing an Ideas modular building then they would not approve them to be published on the site in the first place.

On 3/9/2019 at 1:55 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

I'd think of it this way: Lego still accepts and submits Modular Building projects on Ideas (as so they do with BrickHeadz projects strangely), so I'd guess they're ulteriorly using the Ideas platform as a way of gauging interest in various concepts for such preexisting lines, whether or not they achieve support. :shrug_oh_well:

This is a good point. Even if LEGO never produced my set - if enough people vote for it maybe it will help send a message to LEGO that people want to see a Police Station as part of the modular line. :wink:

2 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

This is a good point. Even if LEGO never produced my set - if enough people vote for it maybe it will help send a message to LEGO that people want to see a Police Station as part of the modular line. :wink:

And it's not just preexisting in-house subthemes, as even up until recently, many projects based upon IPs Lego had themes for at the time were accepted, managed to achieve support, and subsequently rejected only to have a very similar set not under the Ideas portfolio released shortly afterwards. *

The 2014 UCS Sandcrawler and 2015 UCS Helicarrier are two such suspicious examples for instance.

I don't particularly like the corner Modulars. I don't particularly like mixed-use Modulars. I really don't like the forced "story-telling" aspects of some Modulars. And I'm not a major fan of Modulars with cars (and with precious space being taken up for car parking).

But, this is incredible! I would be extremely happy if this was an official Modular. There is a great amount of detail, without it being cluttered. The police station has everything one would expect, but on a relatively small footprint - it's very impressive. And there are some wonderful mini-builds and other detail touches throughout the interior.

The façade on both buildings is superb. A great mix of colours and a number of interesting architectural details, without being overwhelming or too "busy". Everything looks "natural" (i.e. it could be found on a real building). I really can't praise this enough.

If and when the instructions are made available on Rebrickable, I think this will be the first ever build where I spend the time and money necessary trying to Bricklink all of the necessary pieces to build it. Well done! To me this is something realty special and it far outclasses a number of the official Modulars in my personal opinion.

On 3/15/2019 at 1:33 AM, Agent 86 said:

I don't particularly like the corner Modulars. I don't particularly like mixed-use Modulars. I really don't like the forced "story-telling" aspects of some Modulars. And I'm not a major fan of Modulars with cars (and with precious space being taken up for car parking).

But, this is incredible! I would be extremely happy if this was an official Modular. There is a great amount of detail, without it being cluttered. The police station has everything one would expect, but on a relatively small footprint - it's very impressive. And there are some wonderful mini-builds and other detail touches throughout the interior.

The façade on both buildings is superb. A great mix of colours and a number of interesting architectural details, without being overwhelming or too "busy". Everything looks "natural" (i.e. it could be found on a real building). I really can't praise this enough.

If and when the instructions are made available on Rebrickable, I think this will be the first ever build where I spend the time and money necessary trying to Bricklink all of the necessary pieces to build it. Well done! To me this is something realty special and it far outclasses a number of the official Modulars in my personal opinion.

Thanks very much for your kind comment. I'm glad you like it. :classic:

Thanks also to everyone who has supported the project on LEGO Ideas. It has now passed 1000 votes. :classic::thumbup:

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Woah!! :sweet: I had no idea it had been featured by Brick Vault. Thanks for making me aware of that. That's a great bit of promotion.

Well, I'm not really sure I want to see a Police Station among official modulars (there are just too many in the City line), but this one is impressive. The exterior might be too American for my taste, but the detailed interior makes up for that: the typewriter, the interview room, the cells - it looks like a real thing! Still, my favorite part of this MOC is the Donut shop! :laugh:

On 4/11/2019 at 9:55 PM, BarBee said:

Well, I'm not really sure I want to see a Police Station among official modulars (there are just too many in the City line), but this one is impressive. The exterior might be too American for my taste, but the detailed interior makes up for that: the typewriter, the interview room, the cells - it looks like a real thing! Still, my favorite part of this MOC is the Donut shop! :laugh:

Thanks very much. :classic: Gldad you like the design and the donut store in particular.

Regarding the typewriter in the office - here's a little guide a put together to show how it's built.

46472250485_f25dbf08df_z.jpg