Ragni Norgrimson

Denver & Rio Grande Western / Silverton Durango Passenger Train

46363004315_3c860c7b3c_c.jpgDenver & Rio Grande Western / Silverton Durango Passenger Cars by Ragni Norgrimson, auf Flickr

I tried to represent the coaches in classic "Bumblebee" colour scheme. The roofs are removable, so i can addon lights later.

Also there is an interior inside which is possible due to the 8 wide build of the cars. Unfortunately I had no good pictures of the interior of the real thing back in the days (just for the coaches as they are now) so i tried to set the interior based on a scale Model of the coaches. Furthermore the Lego figs as you all know are a bit out of scale so things inside are a bit more crumped together. Figs can still sit properly!! 

At the moment I am searching for fitting decals, which is really hard given the fact, that model trains of american passenger cars are not that common in europe. Also I am working on an engine going with the cars which will be a K36.

The real thing is a narrow gage line but due to the fact Lego tracks are very limited in radius especially the narrow gage track, I am using the standard Lego gauge instead.

This is the End of the observation car. I hope to get some nice decal with the emblem of the line for the round 2x2 tile at the end.

40332726073_b02dfb835a_c.jpgEnd of the observation car by Ragni Norgrimson, auf Flickr

And I cant wait to get the fitting Locomotive done so i kind of have to sneak peak a Progress pic ;) The Engine is about to get finished and currently I am working on the characteristic Tender with the cab on top. It is kind of dusty :look: Thats why I did not upload it directly :D

46382563215_221e94fc63_c.jpgK36-Locomotive (Sneak Peak) by Ragni Norgrimson, auf Flickr

Edited by Ragni Norgrimson

Very nicely done!  I've seen plenty of pics of the Durango & Silverton rolling stock, and immediately recognized those coaches & the combine car.  Yours are spot-on. 

In regards to your comment about the LEGO narrow-gauge curves being too tight for the cars, I actually came up with 6 stud-length narrow-gauge bogies for standard LEGO train car bases that work with the Narrow-gauge curve radius, but I think your cars might be a bit too long even for those particular bogies to work...

Is that silver roof natural bricks or aftermarket? Either way, nice job - and I'm looking forward to the loco!

Just now, Matt Dawson said:

Is that silver roof natural bricks or aftermarket? Either way, nice job - and I'm looking forward to the loco!

It is the Lego colour metallic silver :) So it is all natural Lego !

Instantly recognizable...  Well done...  I think it can be overlooked that your running on "standard gauge" instead of narrow as most people truly don't know the difference nor do they know the Durango special runs narrow. 

Would love if you updated with more pics from more angles! 

6 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Instantly recognizable...  Well done...  I think it can be overlooked that your running on "standard gauge" instead of narrow as most people truly don't know the difference nor do they know the Durango special runs narrow. 

Would love if you updated with more pics from more angles! 

Added one more pic with some detail view. The other pics I took are low on quality, so unfortunately I cant upload them :( Have to wait for better lighting to get some nice pics.

13 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Nicely detailed coaches! I can't wait to see the K36 locomotive! :thumbup:

As you wish: here is a sneak peak of the K36 ;) Updated the main post.

Much more detailed than my effort! Very nice. Especially the locomotive!

Will you be naming and lettering the cars?

I think yes. Especially the the Letters of Denver & Rio Grande Western or Silverton Durango (depending on era I want to represent) But I havent found any fitting decals from a european seller yet. It is very hard to find because it is american rolling stock.

6 hours ago, Ragni Norgrimson said:

I think yes. Especially the the Letters of Denver & Rio Grande Western or Silverton Durango (depending on era I want to represent) But I havent found any fitting decals from a european seller yet. It is very hard to find because it is american rolling stock.

@legoman666 can ship to europe for cheap and has very high quality stuff. 

They all look really great! Spot on and easily recognizable, very well done. Any photos of the lego train altogether on one track?

5 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

I like everything except the fact that it's standard gauge! XD

Thats the only thing that is bugging me somehow too :laugh: You've hit the weakpoint sir! It is just the thing of compatibility with other layouts. Maybe I will swap to narrow gauge one day... good old perfectionists genes....

2 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

They all look really great! Spot on and easily recognizable, very well done. Any photos of the lego train altogether on one track?

Thank you! It is nice to hear that you can easily see what it is even without decals. That shows that the shape is right :)

I will update with pics from the whole train when I have the tender done and it is rolling the first time on a show :)

20 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

@legoman666 can ship to europe for cheap and has very high quality stuff. 

6 hours ago, legoman666 said:

Sure can! $2 to anywhere in the world. Die cut vinyl decals. 

Nice to hear that guys! There is one small Problem at the moment which is preventing me from ordering from you instantly... do you see the Black stripe above the windows? There has to be either the Denver & Rio Grande Western or the Silverton & Durango which would look perfect.... the only thing is that the roof does split exactly at this point, so I have to either cut the decals in half and apply them perfectly accurate or I have to rebuild atleast the roof part first :wacko:

On 3/8/2019 at 9:41 AM, Ragni Norgrimson said:

There is one small Problem at the moment which is preventing me from ordering from you instantly... do you see the Black stripe above the windows? There has to be either the Denver & Rio Grande Western or the Silverton & Durango which would look perfect.... the only thing is that the roof does split exactly at this point, so I have to either cut the decals in half and apply them perfectly accurate or I have to rebuild atleast the roof part first :wacko:

My passenger cars have the 1x3 curved slopes resting on tiles along the top of the body for their modular roof sections. They're attached to 4x10 plates with 2x10 plates mounted underneath this half to the main plate and half to the curved slope underside. Not had an issue with fragility yet! 

Just now, Matt Dawson said:

My passenger cars have the 1x3 curved slopes resting on tiles along the top of the body for their modular roof sections. They're attached to 4x10 plates with 2x10 plates mounted underneath this half to the main plate and half to the curved slope underside. Not had an issue with fragility yet! 

Yeah I had to build it like this because of the limited amount of parts that are coming in the silver colour for the roof.